walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The third Corbett

The third Corbett

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:42 am

Route description: Sgùrr Cos na Breachd-laoidh, Loch Arkaig

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr Cos na Breachd-laoidh

Date walked: 02/09/2014

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After spending the night in the car at Loch Arkaig, i was off at 08.30 to walk the last of the 3 Corbetts i had planned. So it was back along the track where i left it at the buildings before the lodge, making my way to a gate i'd spotted from the track which would give me access to the ridge. The ridge is undulating unlike the two ridges the previous day, which made reasonably tough going. I never saw any views as i gained height as cloud was low and only got a summit photo for my troubles. I'd always decided to continue round the ridge so checked map and compass after reaching summit before continueing. I then continued with a path heading in my direction as well as iron fenceposts, which i left at the point where they headed in the other direction. I then came to another cairn which by my reckoning was Druim a Chuirn and from here i would continue down the ridge in a south east direction. Views soon opened up towards Glen Desserry as i descended and i also got a view of the ridge from the summit to Druim a Chuirn. All that was left now was to return to the car for the long drive out along the single track road.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Loch Arkaig 020.JPG

Loch Arkaig 021.JPG

Loch Arkaig 022.JPG

Loch Arkaig 023.JPG

Loch Arkaig 024.JPG

Loch Arkaig 025.JPG

Loch Arkaig 026.JPG

Loch Arkaig 027.JPG

Loch Arkaig 028.JPG

Loch Arkaig 029.JPG
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: The third Corbett

Postby londonwalker » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi John

Did this one myself couple of days after you. Found it easy as it's a short hill. Hardest thing was picking up you litter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Also did the man's hill Sgurr Mor and the other corbett Sgurr an Fhuarain for good measure. Made it a proper walk with a little less then 2000 metres of ascent. Hope you can arrange a few more minor bumps for the next time I'm up
All the Best Andy.
londonwalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:1   Donalds:18
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Planning to take this in with Sgurr Mor and Sgurr nan Coireachan which I missed out on previously looks a grand wee hill :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:54 pm

londonwalker wrote:Hi John

Did this one myself couple of days after you. Found it easy as it's a short hill. Hardest thing was picking up you litter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Also did the man's hill Sgurr Mor and the other corbett Sgurr an Fhuarain for good measure. Made it a proper walk with a little less then 2000 metres of ascent. Hope you can arrange a few more minor bumps for the next time I'm up
All the Best Andy.
Cheers Andy, i'm sure i'll come up with something :wink:
Collaciotach wrote:Planning to take this in with Sgurr Mor and Sgurr nan Coireachan which I missed out on previously looks a grand wee hill :D
I believe it's a great viewpoint, not that i saw anything. Good luck with the weather on your trip :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Bod » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:37 pm

Nice one John, I'll be back to visit these corbetts too .... grand to be on the site again for me. No excuses, just been busy and distracted. More effort required on my part. Hope you are well? Perhaps we'll catch up for a pint? :D :D :wink:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:31 pm

Bod wrote:Nice one John, I'll be back to visit these corbetts too .... grand to be on the site again for me. No excuses, just been busy and distracted. More effort required on my part. Hope you are well? Perhaps we'll catch up for a pint? :D :D :wink:
Thanks Bod and welcome back :D I'm good thanks and a pint would be great, maybe a walk next time Andy is up followed with a pint or two :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland