walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blethering females on Beinn Bheithir

Blethering females on Beinn Bheithir

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 06/09/2014

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1326m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This outing started off by Karen pleading with me to accompany her somewhere/anywhere as she had had a bit of a mare the previous weekend, but I won't spill the beans, suffice to say there were no blue balloons :lol: :lol:
The original plan was to venture out on Friday, so I posted in the meets section & up popped jepsonscotland who was on bended knee pleading with us to head out on Saturday rather than Friday :lol: So we did the decent thing & changed the date to Saturday & then sunnyspeyside also appeared & volunteered to make up a foursome, not for a round of golf though :lol:
I won't mention or blame Chris for the good soaking we got, you can't beat a good downpour to blow away the cobwebs. I haven't checked the Friday forecast because that would really rub it in :lol:
The plan was for me to uplift Chris in Perth at the Park & Ride, then meet Karen in Crianlarich & take one car through to meet Evie in the car park at the Tourist Information at 8.30am :wink: I won't mention the fact that Chris was slightly late which meant I had make up a wee bit of time, which I did to perfection as we arrived in Crianlarich bang on 7.30 :lol: :lol:

DSCF6061.JPG
The first target of the day

DSCF6062.JPG
The way up before you have to climb over the fence

DSCF6064.JPG
A low level look back to Ballachulish

The initial climb upwards was fairly easy and straight forward, Chris was pleased with his new "App" Maverick (thanks Andy) and was only too keen to make sure we were sticking to the WH route, at times we did stray off course by a couple of metres, but not for long :lol: :lol: Once again the climb involved battling through bracken, thankfully nowhere near as much or as thick as my 2 previous walks, I will be checking out Ebay for a machette if this continues :lol: :lol:
We reached the fence as per the WH route & elegantly climbed over it, not sure why there isn't a style or a gate to prevent the fence becoming damaged :o
Once over the fence Chris guided us with pinpoint accuracy to the path, which we then managed to follow (for a change) all the way to the summit and beyond :lol: :lol:
The weather on this part of the walk was very summer like, blue skies and not a breath of wind, subsequently we were all overheating. The midges were out in force looking for someone to feed on, so stopping for any length of time wasn't an option :(
As we gained height the views back over Ballachulish & Loch Leven were fabulous, however we could see the weather was going to try and ruin the day, the summit disappeared under cloud as did all the surrounding high summits :(

DSCF6076.JPG
Views don't get much better than this, the Pap looking very pointy

DSCF6077.JPG
Loch Leven looking very calm

DSCF6080.JPG
Western end of Loch Leven

DSCF6081.JPG
Bridge over Loch Leven zoomed

As you can see from the pictures above the cloud is thickening and the summits are disappearing, once we entered the clag as is the norm photographs become a rare event :(

DSCF6089.JPG
A cracking view down Glencoe, looking dark and threatening

DSCF6093.JPG
Glencoe again, not sure which photo is best?

DSCF6094.JPG
The Pap sticking up under the cloud layer

DSCF6096.JPG
Karen head down & concentrating, not even noticing the view behind!

DSCF6102.JPG
One of the last looks back before the clag took over

If there are any readers who have never walked in cloud, you are very lucky, so just to give some idea as to what you are missing the photo below demonstrates how the visibility is slightly restricted/reduced :lol:

DSCF6105.JPG
My 3 colleagues volunteering to demonstrate the clag effect

DSCF6108.JPG
Heads down concentrating, no point in admiring the views

We reached the summit of Sgorr Dhearg in good spirits, that was of course after the peak of Sgorr Bhan which we initially thought was our first Munro of the day, as it boasts a fair size cairn :lol:

DSCF6109.JPG
Summit photo, you will have to imagine I am there as well!!

I have to confess I did carry my portable tripod all the way and took ONE photo on the summit, however due to technical problems (operator error) the photo of the 4 of us was out of focus :lol: :lol: So to save my embarassment it was accidentally deleted :wink:
The descent down to the bealach seemed to be quite a drop and it was during the descent that Chris & I came into our own and had to wait a couple of times for our colleagues, even through the cloud we could hear them "blethering", hence the WR title :wink: Funnily enough on the ascent you could hear a pin drop, apart from my boots squeaking of course :lol: Anyone who has walked with me will have no doubt noticed the occasional squeak :lol: I am planning to purchase some new boots, as the tread is becoming a bit less noticeable, can't complain though as they are 15 years old :lol: :lol:

DSCF6120.JPG
Descending & blethering

After the bealach the ascent came as hard work, you get so used to descending and using your descent muscles, kick starting the ascent muscles was hard work and the silence confirmed that :lol:
As you near the summit of Sgorr Dhonuill the walk gets quite interesting, there are a few exposed bits, not that we really noticed because all we could see was the initial drop :lol: Then a few minor scrambly bits :wink:
Just before the walk got interesting Chris suggested we leave our rucksacks in a nice prominent position, as we would be returning the same way. The girls decided against that idea and womanfully carried on, Evie probably calls it cheating if you don't have a rucksack on your back :lol: :lol:
It does feel rather strange not having the 10 ton weight on your back, it also seems to affect your sense of balance :lol:

DSCF6126.JPG
A bit of exposure/scrambling in the clag

DSCF6127.JPG
Another action shot

DSCF6128.JPG
Evie looking impressed at being on camera, note Chris looking down at his boots admiringly

DSCF6129.JPG
Karen grimacing, Chris looking smug without a rucksack

DSCF6131.JPG
Approaching the 2nd summit

DSCF6140.JPG
Karen descending elegantly

The next & final phase was the descent, firstly back down to the bealach & then down through what turned out to be a real bogfest :(

DSCF6142.JPG
The way down towards the forest

It was just as we started the descent from the bealach that the heavens opened & we got a bit of a soaking, Chris was quite smug because he got a chance to test out his numerous new purchases (jackets, tops etc) and was pleased with results. However he wasn't pleased when his nice silvery/red boots, well one of them got completely covered in mud :lol: I slipped on more than one occasion, but managed to prevent myself from getting a wet rear end, Evie fell & did get a bit of wet rear end & Karen decided to test the depth of particular boggy bit & it was almost knee deep :lol:
Once the path, if you can call it that, reaches the forest area, there is a sign pointing you in the right direction through the forest and the path then becomes a trillion times better. Well constructed and well placed stones for quite a bit of the way make that part of the descent very easy going. The forest path was by far and away the best part of the descent. When we appeared out of the other side of the forest out popped the sun & the views of where we had been could be admired :lol:

DSCF6148.JPG
Where we had been

Another great day courtesy of WH, in great company, next outing for me is Tuesday :wink:
Footnote: Chris would like to take the credit for the WR title :lol: It was far too clever for me :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Blethering females on Beinn Bheithir

Postby jepsonscotland » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi Martin,
Great report, as always.
The weather didn't prevent your ability to get in some great shots. :D
Plus it didn't really ''put a dent'' in what was a great day out.
Karen definitely won the most muddy prize! :lol:
Great company and a cracking day in one of the most beautiful places on earth. :D
Looking forward to the next......................................
Chris

PS. The boots are now clean and thanks for not mentioning it, again!! :lol: :lol:
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby tina bonar » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Was looking forward to this trip report as this is still on our to-do list.We looked up the hill admiringly as we watched Balla get humped by Kinlochshiel at Jubilee Park a few months back.We are not lucky mascots when it comes to shinty!
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby cmarcol » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Brilliant hill - enjoyed reading your report :clap: The way you went was much better than my route in May :roll: will definitely do it the WH way next time.
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:19 pm

Another great day out with the team, Martin. Pity my arranged encounter with Evie and Chris last month got scuppered by the weather, but I'll look forward to meeting them on a future trip. It looks like you had better weather in Glen Coe than we had in Yorkshire yesterday, but today was nice and sunny.

Some really nice photos despite the cloud coming down.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:29 pm

tina bonar wrote:Was looking forward to this trip report as this is still on our to-do list.We looked up the hill admiringly as we watched Balla get humped by Kinlochshiel at Jubilee Park a few months back.We are not lucky mascots when it comes to shinty!

Didn't know you were into Shinty - interesting, is very big near us in Aberdour :roll:
Cracking hills, but I think views are essential :wink:

cmarcol wrote:Brilliant hill - enjoyed reading your report :clap: The way you went was much better than my route in May :roll: will definitely do it the WH way next time.

Thanks Cat, they are hills that would deserve a 2nd visit in decent weather :wink:

simon-b wrote:Another great day out with the team, Martin. Pity my arranged encounter with Evie and Chris last month got scuppered by the weather, but I'll look forward to meeting them on a future trip. It looks like you had better weather in Glen Coe than we had in Yorkshire yesterday, but today was nice and sunny.

Some really nice photos despite the cloud coming down.

Thanks Simon, weather in Glencoe was fine when we went through it both times, we just timed the summits wrong :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby tommyatr » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Some really good pics there Martin.
Only thing worse and more frightening is walking in a snow storm/whiteout. When you stop and not sure what way is which for a moment.

15 years on a pair of boots, well seen your a fifer.
tommyatr
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:10   

Postby SecretSquirrel » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:19 pm

Cracking report FF, very nice pics. I liked the "Karen head down & concentrating, not even noticing the view behind!", the picture and view is stunning. I need to move these hills nearer the top of my todo list!
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi Fife Flyer

Every time I see a report on these two hills they move further up my very large "to do" list. Shame about the clag but the views from half way up were stunning anyway - I preferred the first photo of Glencoe (the max zoomed version).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Malckyb » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:36 pm

Great hills that are not given the credit they deserve....we did these 2 last weekend. We got views from Sgorr Dhonuill but saw nothing from Sgorr Dhearg.
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby kmai1961 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:49 am

Thanks, FF, for another great trip summary, but mostly for heeding my plea, and getting me back onto the proverbial horse. And thanks to Evie and Chris as well for good all-around company. I daresay that it wasn't Evie and me that did *all* the blethering...

For the record, I did manage to enjoy the view on the way up. I blame FF and his propensity for lying in wait to take incriminating photos (thanks for the one of the "elegant" bum shuffle as well :wink: ).

My next personal challenge is to try to minimize the number of times the words "bog" and "Karen" appear in such close proximity in walk reports.
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:94   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:12 am

Great report , pity about the weather. Hey Martin your going to hill fit after all these your knocking off. Nice hills I see they are in a trip report in I think it was the August edition of Trail Magazine, it might have been the September, check it out the next time your at WHSmith, go on have a good read while others are trying to get to the stand :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:27 am

Wow, this is something just right for me :lol: The rocky slopes, tumbling paths, steep ascents... maybe minus the bog and clouded summits.
My other half has done these two and he keeps saying they are worth the effort. I guess I'll get them under my belt soon, if not this year then next spring.

We were stuck in Beauly last weekend due to car problems, hopefully next Saturday gets the weather I wish for...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Silverhill » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:10 pm

That was a good read. :D Thank you for showing us what it is to walk in the clag. This has never, ever happened to me in Scotland! :lol: :lol: Joking aside, I do like your pictures!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby teaandpies » Sat May 30, 2015 2:54 pm

I've read through a bunch of reports on these hills now. I like the look of this walk, the views look amazing. I think I'll look to do these hills after a spell of good weather 8)

I came across these hills because they were on the edge of the map and curiosity made me look them up :think:
MAP (690x388).jpg
OS Map 41 'Ben Nevis'

I enjoyed your report :clap:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland