walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sun, Sea & Scrambling - Scorcher on a Scottish Island!

Sun, Sea & Scrambling - Scorcher on a Scottish Island!

Postby dooterbang » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Route description: Goatfell, from Corrie

Corbetts included on this walk: Goat Fell

Date walked: 07/09/2014

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 900m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another glorious weekend of sunshine was forecast for certain Islands to the West, the only decision to make was what to do! After our cycle around Bute last week, taking in breathtaking views to the Arran Corbetts from Scalpie Beach, we decided to walk this weekend. Goat Fell from Corrie, on the wonderful Island of Arran, would be our destination and mission for the day.

Walking on the Sunday meant the first ferry left Ardrossan at 9.40am, shame really as I love getting up at 5am for the 7am ferry, so it was a nice easy drive to the coast...albeit having to divert near Beith due to roadworks. The ferry passengers included golfers, walkers, cyclists and runners, all eager to follow their passions and enjoy the benefits of a healthy active lifestyle. Met Kev Russ form the site up on deck, as you do, and got chatting. He was also doing Goat Fell from Corrie with a local group, was nice to meet you Kev.

Got the 324 bus, which was packed, to Corrie and started walking at 11.30am. Follow the path uphill for 2.5km then take a left over the burn, reaching the ridge it's another 1.5k to the summit. The approach route to Goat Fell from Corrie is quieter and has better views. The heat was intense, Julie was guzzling sparkling water like a camel storing up for a long summer drought! Thankfully I'd brought reserves!

Starting through the lush ferns

Crossing the burn

Goat Fell to the left

Following the ridge

Looking back - beautiful view of the sea - Julie "Gazelle like" maneuvering up the rocky ridge!

On route we stopped and had lunch when reaching the ridge, managed to find a quiet spot and milk the views. After 2.3hrs we reached the summit. This was Julie's first Corbett, great way to break your duck...a real quacker!!

Summit views west to the other Arran Corbetts

The summit was rather busy so again we found a nice quiet spot for some food, taking in the views and enjoying the sun belting off our faces...and my head, which I'm sure was doubling as a hot frying pan by now!! After a chat we decided we would wander along the ridge to the North and take in some scrambling, meaning we got the last ferry back to the mainland. On route we bumped into Kev and his mate, the boys standing proud with big boulders... :) . Hope you got home at a decent hour Kev.

Julie has no experience scrambling so we took our time and did a mixture of climbing and walking the bypasses. She felt safer and enjoyed the experience, more so than her first two munros in Glencoe 2 months ago when not liking the scree, she was able to get a grip of some good hard rock this time! Photos and some serious posing... :D

Most people doing Goat Fell are usually happy with reaching the summit and never wander along the ridge so this meant we had a great time meandering over the large granite tors. We could've stayed up here all day but we had a ferry to catch!! Decided to walk back to Brodick via the most used path to Goat Fell from near the castle. This was actually the first time I've walked this path, I loved how the make up of the landscape changed from sparse barren moorland to lush colourful woodland. We really enjoyed the walk out.

At 6.30pm we arrived in Brodick, got some food and waited on the Ferry whilst looking out across the sea and back over to Goat Fell.

Being on the last ferry meant I was able to catch a glimpse of the sun setting behind the mountains, a lovely sight only slightly marred by some looming dark clouds. Back inside the ferry we enjoyed a well earned Cornetto, delicious ice cream...!!

Arran caters for all types of activities and is such a lovely Island. I would recommend everyone take a wee wander over, especially those crazy Munro baggers who despise Corbetts...eh Woodsy Boy :wink:

Well done Julie on conquering her first Corbett, she reported that it was a very enjoyable day on a sizzling hot sunny Scottish Island...it appears a return trip is on the cards, but to cycle this time :) 8)
Last edited by dooterbang on Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Sun, Sea & Scrambling - Scorcher on a Scottish Island!

Postby kev_russ » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:38 pm

Braw report and pics doots :thumbup: good to meet you tae ;) Got back to the burgh about 10.30 for a cheeky wee pint. Need to return to Arran again soon. Smashing wee island. Cheers!
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:79
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Woodsy Boy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:53 pm

Good wee report again mate.
Nice weather for it again.
Yes maybe one day I'll take a wee trip to Arran FOR A CORBETT !!
Woodsy Boy
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:12   Donalds:8+3
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Silverhill » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:07 pm

That looks like a fun hill! Great pictures too. Well done for selling Goat Fell to me! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:50 pm

Nice one ,yet to visit Arainn :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:52 am

Wonderful, makes me want to visit Arran. Great photos of what looks to be a stunning landscape.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:37 pm

Was wondering what you'd been up to recently 8)
Great day for Julie's first corbett and I do like your sunset shots :thumbup:
Hate to admit it but it's now nearly 30yrs since I was on Goatfell - and saw zilch in the clag :roll: Must try to get back for some walking on Arran - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:37 am

Silverhill wrote:That looks like a fun hill! Great pictures too. Well done for selling Goat Fell to me! :D
Don't forget the other 3 on Arran, they are superb, better than Goat Fell in my opinion. Great stuff Dooterbang , another well chosen day and walk to charm your good lady :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:13 pm

Nice report and loved the phots (especially sunset ones :clap: )

Still to head to Arran but this has wetted the appetite :D
wilkiemurray

Postby simon-b » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:07 pm

That looks really impressive, dooterbang. Some great scenery, and some nice looking ridges. I've heard l lot of good stuff about Arran, including the Sannox Horseshoe as well as Gooat Fell.

dooterbang wrote:...especially those crazy Munro baggers...

Here's one of those who doesn't despise Corbetts, despite a grand total of just one so far. Arran is definitely a place to look forward to.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby tall-story » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:03 am

Braw :D I'm going there next weekend to try to cycle around the island with some of my work colleagues 56mls :shock: that should be fun :crazy: if a bit sore :shock:
tall-story
Walker

Munros:160   Corbetts:222
Fionas:43   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby dbogosian » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks for a great report. As someone who has never officially done a scramble, I'm considering this (the route from Corrie to Goatfell) as an introductory attempt. What would you think?
dbogosian
Mountain Walker

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Islands:9

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland