walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glencoe Graham, short, steep and very steep, but WOW!

Glencoe Graham, short, steep and very steep, but WOW!

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:15 pm

Route description: The Pap of Glencoe

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 04/09/2014

Time taken: 2.2 hours

Distance: 6.58 km

Ascent: 759m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As I was staying at the Red Quirrel Campsite I walked from there leaving the car as I had previously travelled the road and noticed many no parking signs, although there was one slightly further on near an access track beyond the point I passed through the gate to access the hill. I left the Red Squirrel at 0810hrs, summit 0940hrs roadside 1040hrs, which would make this wee beauty a wonderful evening walk.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
The gate to the hillside from the road
2.JPG
Heading on up with the Pap in the background
3.JPG
The path lower down is somewhat overgrown in places and would be quite wet after some rain but it soon improves the burn is on your right at this stage. Follow the line of the burn for a while before crossing over, soon you arrive at the junction of a better more open path and this would appear to come from further North presumably from the forestry carpark mentioned earlier
4.JPG
The path can be quite wet in places and gives the appearance of a small stream in places. Looking back towards Loch Leven
5.JPG
Looking back over the Graham Meall Mor and Corbett Meall Lighiche on the other side of the A82
6.JPG
Looking West over Loch Leven from further up the path
7.JPG
The stones on the right is some scree and not the path the path is closer to the burn at this point the burn is on your left until you reach the beallach
8.JPG
Looking West again
9.JPG
A nice convenient seat for those wishing to take a break
10.JPG
Final push in sight, path somewhat erroded at this stage, but flattening out
11.JPG
Path can be seen up the final section, there appears to be two the first one not quite so steep (less direct) and the path heads around below the crags where there are numerous small cairns erected to show the way for those wishing to use this route
12.JPG
Near the summit, view over Loch Leven East
13.JPG
View West from summit
15.JPG
Another summit view SW
16.JPG
Loch Leven from Summit looking East
17.JPG
I took the other path down from the summit to the beallach, no problems just some loose stones
18.JPG
Path down to beallach and beyond the path of ascent
19.JPG
Not a bad place for a house
a.JPG
The Pap from Glencoe village. There is also a very nice wee coffee place in the village which makes lovely bacon rolls, highly recommended and the coffee is good as well! That is if you climb during the day if not there is always the Clachaig Inn, take your pick.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Glencoe Graham, short, steep and very steep, but WOW!

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:28 pm

You've been quiet for a wee while Rod but you seem to be making a comeback!!!

Always fancied doing this hill (maybe from the forestry comm car park), the views look as good as I expected them to be.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:09 pm

Have come close to it a few times but have never yet been up here - looks good, must try harder :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:50 am

Gordie12 wrote:You've been quiet for a wee while Rod but you seem to be making a comeback!!!

Always fancied doing this hill (maybe from the forestry comm car park), the views look as good as I expected them to be.

Been quiet right enough, too many coffee stop offs :lol: :lol: think your right if taking the car head off to the one you mention, I think the track would not be quite so overgrown at the start, nice hill though.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:53 am

rockhopper wrote:Have come close to it a few times but have never yet been up here - looks good, must try harder :roll: - cheers :)

Hi rockhopper, congratulations on your Compleation! I think you would make easy work of this little chap, maybe include a few more on the same day knowing you :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:08 pm

Nice one Rod, bet you never even broke into a sweat :lol: :lol:

The Pap looked pointy & steep from Ballachulish :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Rod, bet you never even broke into a sweat :lol: :lol:

The Pap looked pointy & steep from Ballachulish :wink:

Your wrong there Martin, I WAS sweating, pushed it hard to the top, but really enjoyable, a good blow out and deserved my bacon roll in the wee cafe. I might even look in there again this weekend , off with the club to Ardrundle bunkhouse for the weekend, some Corbetts or Graham's :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland