walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion Bagpiped, and Claire's first Munro

Schiehallion Bagpiped, and Claire's first Munro

Postby munrobagpiper » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:36 am

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 10/09/2014

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Schiehallion was meant to be my 50th Munro. My plan was to climb it, pipe, and have my girlfriend Claire there with me. It was to be her first Munro (It may be her last for a while!!!) Sadly, my trip to Glenelg last week, yielded a total of ZERO summits, so this outing would have to be my 43rd.

This hill had long been identified by Claire as the Munro she wanted to tackle for her first time. It had been recommended to her, and I felt it would be a pretty straight forward one to introduce to her.

I became very ill the day before, teaching one of my classes, and put the whole trip in doubt. We traveled to Kenmore the night before, to stay in the Kenmore hotel, and I was really worried about my ability to go out the next day.

WH 3 Shie.jpg
Claire on top of the world!!!!

The hotel was FANTASTIC. We had a brilliant meal, I had Mussels for a starter, which could have been a main, and a Sirloin steak, probably not the best for the way I was feeling, but when in Rome.

So, we set off in the morning, after a very substantial breakfast, neither of us very enthusiastic, me feeling ill, and Claire just generally nervous. The car park on arrival was pretty full, telling us we were running late, think we got the last space. I advised Claire to take another jacket, which she wasn't keen to do, but was later very greatful of the advice!

WH Sheep.jpg
Tough life

As we started on the path, the hill started to appear, well, a hill started to appear. This was the first target of the day, which seemed easy enough. We met a few guys coming down in kilts (nice to know I am not the only mad man), and a couple of women with dogs. They couldn't believe I was taking my pipes up, and it was quite funny hearing them talking after we passed them.

We kept on slogging, until we came across the boulder field. I was under the impression this was a small section, and we could see a structure ahead, which we thought was the summit...it wasn't!

WH Shie 2.jpg
Taking it all in, great place to think!

As we got towards the "summit" a group were coming down towards us, and a woman took a tumble on the rocks. I ran across to assist, as it seemed nasty. She cut through her trousers, and cut her knee. We stayed with the group for a little while to make sure she was ok. One of her friends seemed more interested in telling us about HER fall at the top, which didn't fill Claire with a lot of confidence, especially as the wind was really picking up.

WH summit.jpg
The false summit

So, on we went, one foot in front of the other, nice and slow, and we got there! The relief, for both of us, was immense. The views were just spectacular! An absolutely stunning view point. I was so glad Claire got to see such a view, and share something of what I experience when I get to a summit.

WH Shiehalion.jpg
Caledonia has been everything I ever had!

Due to the wind, we couldn't spend too long, which was a shame, but the tough descent awaited! I was started to wilt, and Claire was really not enjoying still having to work on the way down, this wasn't part of the deal. But we did it! I was so proud of Claire as she kept on going and made it to the bottom!

WH Claire.jpg
Hiding from the wind

We celebrated with a meal in Aberfeldy, not the best, but we didn't care at this point. All that remained was to drive back to Glasgow...oh, and the 7am to 10.30pm shift in the gym the next day, that was very enjoyable!!!!
Attachments
WH Perthshire.jpg
Great views
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Munros:136   Corbetts:3

Re: Schiehallion Bagpiped, and Claire's first Munro

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Oh, well done to you and especially to Claire who kept on regardless. :clap: :clap: So glad she got the views and had you to pipe her to the top (I hope you did that).

One day I hope to find you on top of a hill when I arrive! There was a piper on Beinn Eighe the day of the Celtman Triathlon but the hill was crawling with people - I think it would be quite the experience if the hill was its usual quiet self with just the hill-walkers and no cameras, lights and action :roll:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby bootiegreg » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:56 pm

Well done Claire!! Nice blog too mate!
bootiegreg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Silverhill » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:28 pm

Well done to both of you! Schiehallion is such an iconic hill. A great choice for a first munro for Claire, and on a clear day. I hope that Claire in hindsight enjoyed the trip after all. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:38 pm

Great stuff, can't think of many more manly things that playing the pipes to your GF on the top of a Munro! I also hope to meet you and hear you play on a summit some day :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:34 pm

Well done to you both - like the others I'd love to hear you piping as I reach the top of a munro - hoe about posing a timetable! :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby munrobagpiper » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:28 am

For those wanting to see me playing, I post my trips on my facebook page www.facebook.com/munrobagpiper. It is here I post my photos, and plans, often last minute :-). Thank you for your support.
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Munros:136   Corbetts:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland