walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The McVikings challenge in Glencoe!

The McVikings challenge in Glencoe!

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:36 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 02/09/2014

Distance: 7.4 km

Ascent: 986m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This story begins in January this year when Happyfeet (Emmelie) from Denmark and The Rodmiester from Scotland exchanged information on the Walkhighlands website welcoming thread re The Outer Hebrides and the best way to travel and see things on the islands etc. After a few PM's regarding guide books and walking books it was decided that bicycle was the best way to travel so not to miss anything en route.
It became obvious to both parties that sharing the same desire of nature and the great outdoors including hillwalking that we would get along fine and that we had a lot of common interests. Happyfeet was to be visiting Scotland for a couple of courses in August/September and as they were in consecutive weekends she was to be driving up to Glencoe to camp at the Red Squirrel Campsite, this seemed an ideal way for an initial meeting up rather than a quick catch up over coffee. Happyfeet also had the great idea of doing the Isle of Skye Whisky Challenge for the Mountain Rescue Services in Scotland so set up a Just Giving page under the name of The McVikings.
After meeting up on the Monday 1/9/2014 and a walk along to The Clachaig Inn where we were welcomed by the friendly smile of Julie who talked us through the various Real Ales they had on offer a plan of action was hatched over a few beers for the following day, Tuesday 2nd and yes it was to be Stob Dubh followed by Stob Coire Raineach which are the two munros on the Buachaille Etive Beag.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
At 0830hrs leaving the the carpark at the foot of the Allt Lairig Eilde on the A82 opposite the large Cairn. The big question now was will the cloud burn off?
2.JPG
A well made path takes you South West up the glen but take the first fork right in the path and don't go over the river
3.JPG
Happyfeet climbing on the well made up path. The last time I did this hill I approached via Glen Etive so this was going to be new to me as well, so far so good though, good underfoot conditions, but the overhanging cloud was looking no nearer lifting in fact further up the glen it looked like getting lower
4.JPG
We are being followed up by Petr another Walkhighlander we were to find out later. He was kind enough to take our photographs on the summit of Stob Dubh
5.JPG
Looking back down the path
6.JPG
Arriving at the Beallach a cairn on a large slab of red rock, this was to become our luch break stop on our way back from Stob Dubh. This had taken us about 1 1/2 hrs to this point. View looking towards the 902m summit (South)
6a.JPG
The cloud was dropping to about 700m at this stage, not looking good for any views. We had decided to do the South Munro first as it would take us longer and thus allowing for the cloud to lift. About 600m walking you come to the 902m summit cairn but Stopb Dubh is further along the ridge
7.JPG
Nearly there but no let up on the low cloud front, no views today, I think.
8.JPG
Selfie on the Summit of Stob Dubh
9.JPG
Thanks Petr for taking our photo at the summit no doubt this one will be sent to the Isle of Skye Whisky Challenge along with a wee film taken by Happyfeet
10.JPG
After returning to the Beallach we stopped for a bite to eat, Happyfeet to head on down the path we came up and I headed up onto the summit of Stob Coire Raineach taking about 15mins
11.JPG
Instead of oing back to the Beallach and the cairn on the big red slab I decided to head on over the West side and found some loose scree to come down to save the knees and a bit of time
12.JPG
I soon met up with Happyfeet on the path lower down although I had not seen her at first she had heard me coming down the loose rocks. Zoom of the road at Glencoe. It was about here we met up with Graham and Louise heading on up the path, hope you two made it ok! Hi again.
13.JPG
The carpark in the distance at the bottom of the path
14.JPG
The Cairn opposite the Carparking area
15.JPG
A well constructed arched bridge on the old General Wade road through Glencoe
16.JPG
The Three Sisters
17.JPG
Looking down Glencoe
18.JPG
Does anyone know what this building was built for and is it in use now? (Building of the old road shelter for the workers?) It is a very prominent landmark coming off the hill.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: The McVikings challenge in Glencoe!

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:48 pm

A shame Happyfeet never got any views from the tops but looks like you both had a good day.

Good timing with your report, having finished off the Gorms except for the Devil's Point - Braeriach which I'm keeping for next summer I'll be starting to head further west and these two were on my list (of about a dozen) as a good starting point. Couldn't see a time - how long did this take????
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:23 pm

Gordie12 wrote:A shame Happyfeet never got any views from the tops but looks like you both had a good day.

Good timing with your report, having finished off the Gorms except for the Devil's Point - Braeriach which I'm keeping for next summer I'll be starting to head further west and these two were on my list (of about a dozen) as a good starting point. Couldn't see a time - how long did this take????

I forgot to look at the watch as we went over the road to do exploring, but a man of your stature probably 4hrs max. I quite enjoyed the way I went down nothing too steep and quite loose uniform scree, save the old knees. You would probably manage the Pap in the afternoon, I was on the summit in 1hour 10mins from the road. By the way not a lot of places to park roadside better leave from the village, we were staying at the Red Squirrel and walked from there in twenty mins, hope that helps. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks for that Rod (and for finding me another hill :lol: :lol: :lol: ).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Silverhill » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:03 pm

These are lovely hills, shame the weather didn’t play ball. It is definitely worth the little effort to revisit them on a clear day. The views are amazing! But it looked like you enjoyed yourselves nonetheless! :D Well done! I did them in June under blue skies. Stunning. 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Silverhill wrote:These are lovely hills, shame the weather didn’t play ball. It is definitely worth the little effort to revisit them on a clear day. The views are amazing! But it looked like you enjoyed yourselves nonetheless! :D Well done! I did them in June under blue skies. Stunning. 8)

We did enjoy it anyway thanks Silverhill, and both the next two days, much better views from the top, more to follow.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:21 pm

Yet another good report Rod, with your usual quality photo's :clap: :clap:

Weather looks almost a carbon copy of when I did the same climb a couple of months ago :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:22 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Yet another good report Rod, with your usual quality photo's :clap: :clap:

Weather looks almost a carbon copy of when I did the same climb a couple of months ago :wink:

Hi Martin, not too bothered as I'm back up there next year for a Compleation, so looking forward to it even more now, I'll see what I've missed, twice! :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby SecretSquirrel » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:38 pm

I've had these hills on my radar all summer, saving them for a good clear day to share with my better half when her work schedule allows ... but sadly its still on the todo list ... good to see a report showing the hills, even if the weather and views weren't quite there.

Although, its looks like HappyFeet got to see the Scottish hills shown off in their natural clag covered habitat :D
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:43 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:I've had these hills on my radar all summer, saving them for a good clear day to share with my better half when her work schedule allows ... but sadly its still on the todo list ... good to see a report showing the hills, even if the weather and views weren't quite there.

Although, its looks like HappyFeet got to see the Scottish hills shown off in their natural clag covered habitat :D

Hi Secret Squirrel, hope the report helps you, the path is pretty good all the way to the South Munro, the North one it is slightly more feint in places but as I said will only take you less than half an hour to summit, Enjoy, and hope you get a clear day, as we did the next two days, reports to follow :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:41 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:A shame Happyfeet never got any views from the tops but looks like you both had a good day.

I forgot to look at the watch as we went over the road to do exploring, but a man of your stature probably 4hrs max. I quite enjoyed the way I went down nothing too steep and quite loose uniform scree, save the old knees. You would probably manage the Pap in the afternoon, I was on the summit in 1hour 10mins from the road. By the way not a lot of places to park roadside better leave from the village, we were staying at the Red Squirrel and walked from there in twenty mins, hope that helps. :D
A nice wee story there Rod, shame there was no views, same as when i did these two. PS there is a Forestry parking area just outside Glen Coe village for walking The Pap. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:13 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:

A nice wee story there Rod, shame there was no views, same as when i did these two. PS there is a Forestry parking area just outside Glen Coe village for walking The Pap. :D

Thanks JC, I forgot about that one, I did notice it when walking back from the village towards the campsite :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Happyfeet » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks for all the comments, yes shame about the view but they where there the day after on the corbett.
Had a fantastic time in Glencoe, good to have a new walking buddy with such local knowledge!!
Maybe we should start a buddy team / friendship club across the water or adopt a dane scheme.....LOL :lol:
Happyfeet
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:24   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:43 pm

Happyfeet wrote:Thanks for all the comments, yes shame about the view but they where there the day after on the corbett.
Had a fantastic time in Glencoe, good to have a new walking buddy with such local knowledge!!
Maybe we should start a buddy team / friendship club across the water or adopt a dane scheme.....LOL :lol:

Buddy team sounds good :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland