walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fisherfield 6 from Shenavall

Fisherfield 6 from Shenavall

Postby gman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:01 pm

Route description: Fisherfield 6, from Shenavall

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean, Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Ruadh Stac Mòr, Sgùrr Bàn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Date walked: 12/09/2014

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 31 km

Ascent: 2232m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

fisherfield 6 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Haven't been out much recently so was planning an easy walk, then noticed Shenavall bothy was going to close for stalking next week and daylight is running out, so...

Just a couple of other cars in the layby, one walker was returning after a 12 hour marathon climbing all the tops on An Teallach. Left after 6 and sunset was 7:55 so I inevitably missed the cairns marking the turn off to Shenavall and got to the bothy as light was running out. Path gets steep and eroded at the end so wouldn't fancy it in the dark.

First time staying in a bothy, only 2 others were there - Matt was on the Cape Wrath Trail & John had completed 4 Fisherfields that day and would do the 2 others tomorrow.

Up at 6 the next morning and started on the good track to Beinn a'Chlaidheimh.

Brought boots & gaiters for the river crossings, both were straightforward though as the water level was low.

Bit craggy further up the tiring ascent of Beinn a'Chlaidheimh.

Beinn Dearg Mor, best looking hill in the area?

Apart from An Teallach.

Knackered near the top, all that effort & it's not even a Munro :lol:

Next, it's Sgurr Ban. There's a slight rise in between so as I get closer I decide to take a shortcut round the right of it (??). Seemed like a good idea but ended up on steep rocky ground so a relaxing descent became a tiring slog. Stopped listening to brain after this & stuck to sensible route.

First Munro bagged, next it's Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair wih the eroded path zig zagging upwards. There aren't many nice flat paths on this ridge, it tends to be steep, rocky , uneven ground.

Beinn Tarsuinn from the top.

Sgurr Dubh and some Fannichs in the distance.

Route goes down to Meall Garbh.

Sgurr Dubh again, I met someone on the Affric hills earlier this year who said each Fisherfield had its own distinct character and it appears to be true.

Meall Garbh bypass path.

Tennis court from Tarsuinn.

Slioch.

Pinnacles from tennis court.

After the pinnacles the legs are weary, you're running low on water and you see this :shock:

So, down to the bog and an endless uphill trek with deer looking on in sympathy.

Still, the views from the top aren't the worst.

Gorm Loch Mor

Ruadh Stac Mor from the cairn.

Another look up Fionn Loch towards something invitingly called 'Bad Bog'.

Down to the bealach with Ruadh Stac Mor. It looks very steep from here but the ascent isn't too bad - all the hard work is over :D

Scree gully through the crags, scree/rocks are steep and loose so I wouldn't fance being behind someone on the ascent.

Goats guarding the cairn.

Fuar Loch Mor.

Over to the first 3 Munros.

Now it's downhill all the way...and water :D

Picked up a good path, met John later as he collected kindling for the bothy. Crossed at Larachantivore for the boggy bit - there's a path to follow and thankfully managed to avoid any plunges.

John at the last river. Bothy was busier now and smoke was coming from the chimney :D

About half a dozen others now so it was quite lively, turned in early but got awoken by a wet dog :lol:

Up at 6 the next morning, moon still out over Beinn Dearg Mor.

Met a couple in ther 70s on the walk back, they were heading to the bothy (then onwards to Poolewe) and wondered how busy it was. He had been involved in the restoration of the building and had seen 20 people crammed into the upstairs area before. Realised I'd met quite a few folk on the trip but I was the only Scot. Also heard tales of secret bothies at the confluence of two rivers, expensive pints in Ullapool and characters in the Crask Inn :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Fisherfield 6 from Shenavall

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Fantastic walk and report. These are great photos too - I particularly like the one near the begininning of An Teallach (the sixth) and the last one. Great job on getting these done in one trip.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby kev_russ » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:18 pm

cracking report and pics :clap:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Silverhill » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:02 pm

Great pictures, very atmospheric with the haze, and good going for the whole round. 8) How long did the walk in to Shenavall take you? I’m pondering the various approaches. Will probably get to this area in two years time, but it is always nice to dream ahead. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby gman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Cheers folks, the walk in to Shenavall took about 2:15 - I continued too far on the track though & had to backtrack to pick up the Shenavall path. One of the other guys at the bothy made the same mistake too - how did we miss this?

gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby NevJB » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:14 pm

Well done - anyone who does this in one go deserves a medal :clap:
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:08 am

Really brilliant pics, and a great report.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland