walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Lochy Munros

Loch Lochy Munros

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Route description: Loch Lochy Munros from Kilfinnan

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga, Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 07/09/2014

Time taken: 8.45 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1320m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2014-09-07 Loch Lochy Munros.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I nearly didn't write a report for these two as I didn't enjoy them much, but now that it's been a few days I can see that it's better to share as all the baggers have to do them regardless. I feel about them much the same as I do about Fionn Bheinn and one of them has many similarities.

The weather forecast was all over the place at the weekend (mostly cloud and rain) but it looked like the conditions would be better further south and I decided to give the two Loch Lochy Munros a go as Kintail looked mist-bound.

However, the sun breaking through the cloud on the South Glenshiel Ridge on the way down was quite spectacular.

Glen Shiel in the early morning
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-1 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I headed down to Kilfinnan and parked up at the farm at the end of the main road. It's a long, pretty flat walk along the lochside. After approx 1km take the right fork and then it's a bit of a slog (4km) to the marker for the start of the hill path. I kept thinking I must have missed it - ha ha, no such luck!

There's a small cairn on the left just opposite the start of the hill path on the right.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-2 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The old coffin road is another long gradual climb through the trees and then up to the bealach between Sron a'Choire Ghairbh and Meall Dubh. It was at this point that I decided to do SaCG before Meall an Teanga as the latter had a bit of mist on top and I reckoned it would clear by the time I got there. So I took a right up the zig-zags (another bit of a slog, so much so that I cut a few corners) to reach the ridge. It's not far at all from there up to the summit cairn. Well, what to say? This hill was a bit of a disappointment and reminded me greatly of Fionn Bheinn. There looked to be a decent ridge walk around to the east and wished I had done the other hill first as this would have been a good alternative way off with the option of going up Beinn Tee on the way. I stayed only a few minutes, took a turn around the summit plateau and headed back the way I came back down to the bealach. On the way I met two guys (Kim and Joe) who were in a hurry and had similar feelings about the hill. They had left their packs at the bealach and were fairly hoofing it.

Up the coffin road heading for the bealach.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-3 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Half way up the zig-zags and looking down towards Gleann Cia-aig (which is an alternative route up to the bealach).
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-4 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Looking back to Meall Dubh and Meall na Teanga beyond. The path to Meall na Teanga goes around the shoulder of Meall Dubh, across the bealach and then fairly steeply up to the ridge.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-5 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

On the ridge and looking down Coire Glas.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-6 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

From the summit looking west.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-7 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Summit cairn looking east to Sean Mheall.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-8 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Down Coire Glas again. You can see Ben Tee on the left (which would have made a good walk) and Loch Ness in the far distance.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-9 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Heading down again and Kim and Joe are heading up. This was definitely my shortest visit to a summit - I didn't even take my backpack off!
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-10 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

After getting back to the bealach I followed the path round the shoulder of Meall Dubh and the up to the ridge of Meall na Teanga. The wind was up by now and pretty nippy. A fairly steep climb on another zig-zag path up to the ridge, so I totally missed the zs here and headed straight up the grassy slopes - much easier! As I neared the top I met Joe and Kim on the way down (they had overtaken me half way up - again with no packs), went over to the cairn but it was quite blowy now and very cold so went down the lee side for some shelter and found a father and son who were also sheltering for lunch and chatted to them for a while. We were looking at alternative descents but as we weren't sure about the fire breaks in the wood, concluded the safest way was the return by the ascent route. After lunch I set off for the LONG trek back. The section from the bealach to the track was the most pleasant of the day as the sun shone for short times, it was warmer, and I was heading home :roll: :roll: The path through the wood felt like it was three times longer than the walk-in - so wish I had taken my bike!

Back at the watershed/bealach. There isn't a cairn here but it's the highest point on the bealach and you can see the water going down both sides of the hill. There is this fence-post, however, so could be useful in mist.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-11 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Heading up to Meall na Teanga. Kim and Joe had overtaken me and there was father/son duo further up. I met two other guys as I was descending and that was it all day.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-12 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Summit cairn of Meall na Teanga.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-13 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Loch Lochy from the summit.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-14 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Towards Spean Bridge. The cloud stayed off the top but wasn't much higher as you can see. I did not get any great views at all.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-15 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Descending from Meall na Teanga and looking across to the zig-zags on Sron a'Choire Ghairbh.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-16 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Heading back down the coffin path...
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-17 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

... and looking back up. The hillside was pretty in the afternoon sun.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-18 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Signs of autumn on the hillside.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-19 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Almost back at the tree-line.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-20 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Back down in Kilfinnan.
ImageLoch Lochy Munros-21 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Not much else to say really except the drive home was spectacular especially the rays over Loch Loyne.

ImageLoch Lochy Munros-22 by anniesmountains, on Flickr
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Loch Lochy Munros

Postby 2manyYorkies » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:01 pm

The first and last photos in particular are simply stunning, thank you!
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:117   

Postby Silverhill » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:29 pm

Judging by the pictures, you had a great day! The first and last are ace! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby JimboJim » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:39 pm

You may not have got too much excitement out your walk, but you manage to extract some braw photo's!

Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:47 pm

This was one of my fav walks this year :D
Shame about the wind... The Lochy twins are good viewpoints. We took long breaks on each top, on a good day the Knoydart pano is breathtaking... But I see you still managed a decent day even without the distant views.

I'm keeping Ben Tee for winter as a separate, shorter outing. And tomorrow, if weather stays as good as it is, we are heading for Torridon :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks, all.

BP, I'm surprised these were your favourites as you have done so many great walks this year - but we all have different tastes.

The forecast for the north-west is good for tomorrow even if the visibilty may not be the best. Happy walking!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby simon-b » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:50 pm

A pity you didn't enjoy these, Annie. Maybe it would have been better with more distant views. You got some nice photos, anyway. I did these in June and also got restricted views, but with some nice intermittent ones, and overall had a very pleasant day. I'm sure your next day on the hills will be great.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland