walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Mhor & Beinn Sheasgarnaich

Creag Mhor & Beinn Sheasgarnaich

Postby SecretSquirrel » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:52 pm

Route description: Creag Mhòr and Beinn Heasgarnich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich, Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Date walked: 13/09/2014

Time taken: 7.75 hours

Distance: 24.25 km

Ascent: 1436m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

CreagMhor&BeinnSheasgarnaich2014-09-130827.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Got to the car park outside Kenknock, kitted and walking for 8:20. Much of the drive up had been through thick fog, which was hanging thickly in the Glen. When planning this walk I hadn't decided on whether to use the upper or lower roads along the glen, but with the fog being thick I choose the upper, hoping to get above the fog and hopefully some views. There were some gaps in the fog and an occasional view. Views coming and going was to be the theme for the day.

The climb up the crags of Sron nan Eun was very hands on, although there's probably easier routes than the steep gully I eventually decided to use. Slimy wet rocks made it difficult to find good handholds, making it necessary to use knees and all possible points of contact! Once up Sron nan Eun, the walk along the ridge to Creag Mhor is straightforward with a reasonable trail all the way to the summit. I followed the standard route off Craig Mhor contouring around the crags heading for Sron Tairbh, across the peat hags (which thankfully were dry) and the ridge to Beinn Sheasgarnaich. This was an easy section up onto the summit.

I had been dreading the final section crossing the bogs around Allt Tarsainn. I came off Sheasgarnaich's ridge and headed for the river, following its banks for most of the way. The going was actually pretty good, I think sticking to the river bank combined with the recent dry weather meant the ground was reasonably dry until I struck off across the heather heading for the road.

The final tarmac section down the hydro road back to the car was as soul destroying as every other tarmac'ed walk out :( With every footfall the vibrations shuddered from my heals up my shins, but with only one option I made it back to the car in decent time.

Despite the fog, a couple of good hills :D

Start of the day along the upper hydro road, looking back to Kenknock and Glen Lochay filled with fog.

The first of the hydro dams along the road.

Pipeline coming off the dam.

A brief gap in the fog and a view of the lower road & the river Lochay.

First view of Sron nan Eun.

Leaving the road behind and heading up Sron nan Eun.

Heading for the faintly visible gate in the new fence.

Heading up a steep gully.

Creag Mhor hiding in the mist.

First view of the days second target, Beinn Sheasgarnaich.

Creag Mhor ... getting closer.

Creag Mhor summit cairn.

Sheasgarnaich now hidden in the mist.

Looking back to Creag Mhor from Sron Tairbh.

Zoom of another party reaching Creag Mhor summit.

Heading along the broad ridge to Sheasgarnaich

The bulky summit cairn of Sheasgarnaich comes into view.

Obligatory summit photograph.

The locals.

Looking at the route down and the road back to the car.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Re: Creag Mhor & Beinn Sheasgarnaich

Postby Silverhill » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:54 pm

You still got some decent views! (or did you point to camera to the bits with views?). I quite like the cloud in your pictures, very atmospheric and mysterious. 8) I saw nothing on these hills….
Well done for venturing down the bogs on the way back, and thankfully they were dry. I heard some horror stories about them. :shock:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby SecretSquirrel » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Silverhill wrote:You still got some decent views! (or did you point to camera to the bits with views?). I quite like the cloud in your pictures, very atmospheric and mysterious. 8) I saw nothing on these hills….
Well done for venturing down the bogs on the way back, and thankfully they were dry. I heard some horror stories about them. :shock:

Thanks Silverhill. The views came and went all day, I took some snaps when the gaps were there :D

My planned return route was originally to backtrack from Sheasgarnaich and head down towards the Allt Bad Odhar and back to the inward hydro track, that way I didn't need to face the bogs. But once I was at the summit I had a wonder down the ridge to the 3 lochans, from there I got a view of the Lochay/Lyon road and it looked enticingly close & reachable. The few dry days we've had meant the streams and rivers were low, and the ground squelchy soft rather than boot sucking.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:39 pm

Nice one - you got some good views despite the fog. Turned out very warm yesterday once above the fog but very hazy :roll: Sounded a good time to go on this walk with boggy sections dried up - an alternative is winter when they're frozen over 8) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:59 pm

Nice pictures, SS; it's good to see what the views look like from this walk. Like Silverhill, I did these two in mist.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby SecretSquirrel » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:33 pm

rockhopper wrote: Turned out very warm yesterday once above the fog but very hazy :roll:

Indeed it did, despite the fog and haze. Today I'm a little red and got the sun cream questions from my better half ... pffft its September lol :D of course i didn't use any :?
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Postby KeithS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:41 am

Hi, good to read your report. I am planning these two hills for early next week. I was contemplating doing the walk the other way round (although not fully decided). My thought was to get the main tarmac section out of the way first and then use the upper road out having come off Creag Mhor.

I am happy to take advice as to which is the best way to do this. I am hoping for less misty weather but am polishing my compass as I expect cloud.

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby SecretSquirrel » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:54 am

KeithS wrote:Hi, good to read your report. I am planning these two hills for early next week. I was contemplating doing the walk the other way round (although not fully decided). My thought was to get the main tarmac section out of the way first and then use the upper road out having come off Creag Mhor.

I am happy to take advice as to which is the best way to do this. I am hoping for less misty weather but am polishing my compass as I expect cloud.

Keith

An anti-clockwise route would work too. The only awkward section I could anticipate would be navigating off the crags at Sron nan Eun, I'm fairly sure my ascent route wouldn't be a sensible choice for decent! I think a lot of routes ascend/descend on the western side, rather than a frontal attack on the SE end.

However, I wouldn't underestimate the length of the hydro track for a return to the car park. Its 7km of mostly flat walking Vs 5km of mostly downhill walking on the tarmac road.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland