walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Postby Andy74G » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:13 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 13/09/2014

Time taken: 7.3 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1126m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived at the station car park next to a fog covered Loch Awe just after 8.10am. Quick change and I was away by 8.20am. I took the route under the railway and proceeded up the steps , never saw the barely visible path to the left at the generator so continued up the steps and into the trees. Before long I was though the trees and at the foot of the pylon heading for the fenced off hill track, once on to the track it was a short walk to the dam.
bc1.JPG
bc1a.JPG
a view from the dam
bc2.jpg
bc2a.JPG
the cairn at Corie Dearg
bc2b.jpg
bc4.JPG
Glad to be at the top of the corie looking back
I did think about a diversion up Meall Cuanail but decided to stick to planned route
bc5.JPG
Meall Cuanail
bc6.JPG
the boulder fields on accent of Ben Cruchan
. The summit of Ben Cruachan brought a break from all the boulder walking but was covered in clag so I joined 4 other walkers for a break and waited to see if it would clear, after about 25mins and no sign of it clearing I set off along the ridge, once off the summit the route began to clear..
ben cruchan 022a.jpg
bc7.JPG
I'll admit I never went straight over as the route to the left was an easy path with little height lost.
bc8.JPG
bc9.JPG
bc9.JPG[/attachment]
bc10.JPG
[/attachment]
bc11.JPG
this was about half way along the route looking towards Stob Daimh and Stob Garbh
bc12.JPG
bc13.JPG
the route to Stob Garbh
bc14.JPG
By mid afternoon the sun was out which always seems to happen when I'm almost off the hills :? ps, DON'T come down LHS of the stream after Lairig Torran like everyone else in front of me inc myself as the decent is steeper and uneven compared to the left side, classic sheep mentality on my part.
bc15.JPG
bc16.JPG
. Once back at the dam I considered going back the way I'd come in but since I'd missed the path up the falls I thought it was a good idea to follow it back..it wasn't , that path down took me ages :evil,made it back to the car at 15.50pm an enjoyable day none the less and my first proper ridge walk completed.
bc18.jpg
Attachments
bc17.JPG
what path?
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland