walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A wee saunter up Ben Avon.

A wee saunter up Ben Avon.

Postby summerhill » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Route description: Ben Avon via Gleann an-Slugain

Munros included on this walk: Ben Avon

Date walked: 12/09/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 33.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I arrived at the Kelloch car park at 8.45am with my cyclocross bike strapped to the roof. This was the first time I have used a bike on a walk ( doesn't sound right but you know what I mean ) . I've read conflicting reports on how far you can take a bike on this route . My plan was to take the bike to the ruin of Slugain lodge , which I did but ended up carrying the bike quite a bit on the last half mile or so. I reckon I should have left it at the split in the path about half a mile from the ruin. But be in no doubt it great using the bike and it does shave a hour or two off your trip.
I was blessed with great weather, its a long haul up to the sneck but the navigation is easy as there is a clear path all the way. I took in both Munros Bhuidhe and Bhuird. Navigation would be more of a problem going to Bhuird from the sneck in bad weather, no nice path to follow. But on my day out with glorious weather and it was a bit of a breeze.
I got back to the car about 5.00pm and enjoyed the drive back to Musselburgh. There is a £2.50 charge for parking the car at Kelloch.
summerhill
Munro compleatist

Munros:276   

Re: A wee saunter up Ben Avon.

Postby Silverhill » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:52 pm

I love these hills! I was up there in July, with a faulty camera. Have you got any pictures of your trip?
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby summerhill » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Silverhill wrote:I love these hills! I was up there in July, with a faulty camera. Have you got any pictures of your trip?

Hi there, I've got one or two pics on my mobile I'll try and get these posted asap. They aren't all that good :? but passable.
summerhill
Munro compleatist

Postby summerhill » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:54 pm

summerhill wrote:
Silverhill wrote:I love these hills! I was up there in July, with a faulty camera. Have you got any pictures of your trip?

Hi there, I've got one or two pics on my mobile I'll try and get these posted asap. They aren't all that good :? but passable.

I tried to download from my laptop but the pictures are to big ( to many pixels ). Not being good with computers I'll just have to leave it.
summerhill
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland