walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skiddaw's siblings, far from the maddening crowds.

Skiddaw's siblings, far from the maddening crowds.

Postby martin.h » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Carl Side, Dodd, Long Side, Ullock Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Long Side

Date walked: 13/09/2014

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 850m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A lot of people who know a little about the Wainwrights always seem to regard poor old Skiddaw as a big boring lump of a hill, I must admit, I was of a similar mind, I'd been on Skiddaw on a couple of occasions and always from the car park below Jenkin Hill, when I was investigating alternatives I found this walk around Skiddaw's outliers and thought it would be nice to get away from the hussle and bussle of the main summits and still have a reasonable saunter around this really picturesque mountain.
So we decided to have a wander from Dodd Wood car park, along the Allerdale Ramble, and then over Ullock Pike, Long side, Carl Side and Dodd it'self.Today It was Denise and I and we were joined by our youngest son, Richard, who has been with us on walks in the past. We were hoping to find a lay by on the A591 but were unsuccessful so we had to take in a large gulp and pay the £6.10 for a day's parking at the tearoom's car park near Mirehouse (surely £3.00 would suffice judging by the number of cars in the car park when we got down)?
We set off through the woods on the path that runs alongside the road and in the general direction of the Ravenstone hotel where the path leads you uphill,
a) Richard on the way to Watchstones.JPG
Richard on the way up to Watchstones where you swing right and begin the climb up Ullock Pike

b) View from higher up the Forest Path.jpg
Views

turns right and then starts the climb upto Ullock Pike. This initial section is quite steep but the opening views take your mind off this, although today was very hazy we could see Grisedale Pike, Grasmoor,Crag Hill, Dalehead etc
d) Hazy North western Fells.JPG
Hazy view

as well as Derwent Water and Bassenthwaite Lake, the Solway Firth was not that clear.
We got to the top of Ullock Pike after an hour and a quarter from the car park,
c) Ullock Pike.JPG
Denise on Ullock Pike

Skiddaw looked majestic,
Cc) Towards Skiddaw from Ullock Pike.JPG
Skiddaw from Ullock Pike

and the way ahead was plain to see.
Long Side was next and it took us 15 mins from Ullock Pike to arrive there.
e) Summit of Long Side looking to Skiddaw.JPG
Long Side and Skiddaw

Looking onto Skiddaw from the top of Long Side shows how big a mountain Skiddaw is, scree covered and a bit Munro like. We spent a bit of time here just looking and chatting, taking our time and enjoying the really pleasant weather conditions.
f) Looking over to Carl Side from Long Side.JPG
Views from Long Side, to Carl Side

g) Ullock Pike from Long Side.JPG
Ullock Pike from Long Side

h) View into Southerndale from Long Side.JPG
View in to Southerndale

Hh)  Steep slopes on Skiddaw.JPG
Skiddaw

Hhh) Pano of Skiddaw from Long Side.jpg
Pano of Skiddaw from Long Side

Next was Carl Side which, from Long Side, is a steady, pleasant walk.
We had our lunch on Carl Side, looking at the views watching the people walking onto the summit of Skiddaw, there were a few folk on our side of the hill, but we were quiet compared to the summit.
i) Denise on Carl Side with Little Man behind.JPG
On Carl Side, Denise.

j) Denise, Richard and Little Man from Carl Side.JPG
Denise, Richard and Little Man from Carl Side.

k) Denise and Richard with Skiddaw.JPG
On Carl Side with Skiddaw behind

l) Long Side appearing above Carl Side.JPG
Long Side from Carl Side

m) Skiddaw direct.JPG
Skiddaw direct

After our sandwiches we set off for Dodd.
n) Dodd from the slopes of Carl Side.JPG
Dodd from the slopes of Carl Side

From Carl Side it's a fair old drop into the coll before the climb through the trees onto Dodds summit, this adds a bit of variety to the walk. From the coll to the summit is about 100m of height on well constructed paths and takes no time to get there and the scent of the trees and the flora makes this little climb worth it.
v) Strange fungus in the woods on Dodd.JPG
Good at parties, a "fungi" to be with.

On the top there's a memorial to two scout leaders and to others who appreciated this spot in their lives,
q) Memorial on the summit of Dodd.JPG
Memorial

and it is a lovely little hill and should be appreciated for the views it gives now that the trees have been felled around the top.
o) Denise on Dodd.JPG
Denise on Dodd

p) Two chilled on Dodd.JPG
Two chilled on Dodd

r) Skiddaw.jpg
Views

t) People on Little Man seen from Dodd.JPG
People on Little Man taken from Dodd

u) Long Side from Dodd.JPG
Long Side from Dodd

From here we retraced our steps down to the coll and then started the walk back to the car park. This is all on a forestry track and is easy going all the way back to the car using the Allerdale Ramble route.
We arrived back at the car park and were amazed at how many people there were in and around the tea room, a busy little place, but at least we got to see more than just what was on offer down here.
We enjoyed our day out, it was spent on the less frequented parts of Skiddaw, but Skiddaw is not a boring lump and we will visit again and explore a bit more of what it has to offer. A nice mountain, a Lakeland giant.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Skiddaw's siblings, far from the maddening crowds.

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Nice one Marts, really enjoyed that. Gotta get myself down there for a wee holiday :clap: :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby martin.h » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:22 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Nice one Marts, really enjoyed that. Gotta get myself down there for a wee holiday :clap: :D

Thanks Matthew, you'll be more than welcome. I can see the wedding went well, congratulations, fantastic cake, :clap: let's hope we can meet up in 2015, we are planning our visit's now, is there anything you can tempt us with? :D All the very best to you both. :clap: :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby 2manyYorkies » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:49 am

Did that exact same walk yesterday, except in reverse!
Beautiful weather, and you can see Scotland as an added bonus! :D
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:117   

Postby Ibex » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Lovely day you had there and some really nice photo's too.
Jelousy is not a strong enough word to describe my emotions looking at this walk report.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland