walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wind, Haze, Sun on Klibreck

Wind, Haze, Sun on Klibreck

Postby basscadet » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Route description: Ben Klibreck

Munros included on this walk: Ben Klibreck

Date walked: 14/09/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14.6 km

Ascent: 982m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So this weekend, we had booked a wee cabin in Shinness, next to the bonny Lairg. Seemed natural to go and do Klibreck one of the days we were there, so on Sunday we headed up the road.
Seems weird that I was just getting to doing the munro that was closest to where I was brought up. My Dad and I had many wee hillwalking excursions, but never to Klibreck :crazy: Although it does have a reputation locally of being a boggy waste of time :roll: So many more fun, albeit slightly smaller hills to draw the attention.. :lol:

Klibreck.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We arrived at the car park, the same time as two other cars, so we hung around a while, to let them get going. One of the other guys had the same idea, so we set off, up the faint track, the way up the hille that the track tok obvious, despite a fair bit of fog. Nothing much to see round abouts :wink:

We hadn't been going long, when we decided to stop for breakfast, before heading up slightly steeper, boggier round up to the ridge. It was a steady, easy slog all the way up the ridge to Cnoc Sgriodain, where there were two large, and one small cairn. It was a really windy spot, but Dougie stopped there, and as it was his Birthday, I didn't argue :lol:

After a wee cuppa, we set off again, it seemed like quite a lot more than the 40m of descent detailed on the map! We crossed a bit of boggy ground, that would of been quite tedious if it had not been dry for the week aforehand, picking up the track once more. The easy steady ascent continued, finally getting some views toward our target.

There were some sizeable peat hags at a flat section, but were quite dry, so we could just walk along the bottom in a peaty labyrinth of joy :D Then a flat section, at enough altitude to be dry and easy underfoot. A brilliant bypass path follows, and we started to pick up some speed, making the bealach beyond in no time at all :)

The top was still veiled in clag, which was clearing ever so slowly, so we stopped before the last steeper pull to the summit for lunch and waited. It was a really busy hill, with groups every 100 yards. Probably the busiest place in Sutherland :shock: :lol:
Eventually, the time felt right, and we made our way through a fun, but all too short rocky section, and on to a nice path beyond that wove to and fro enough to take all the burden out of the climb :)
We made the summit and it was clear 8) But it was still too hazy to see much. We saw vague shapes that could of been Ben Hope, Ben Hee and Ben Loyal, but couldn't really be sure :lol:

We finished our flask on the lee side of the hill, before heading back, the path seemingly shortened somewhat :wink:
The weather really perked up and got warm enough for a half hour snooze on the way back. Oh Lovely 8)

So nae a bad day all in all, probably wont be rushing back, but it had to be turned blue on the map eventually :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Wind, Haze, Sun on Klibreck

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Nice one, BC and belated birthday wishes to Dougie :clap:
Certainly was hazy at the weekend but can't complain I guess 8)

basscadet wrote: probably wont be rushing back, but it had to be turned blue on the map eventually :D
had an enjoyable walk here in the snow - if you do go back, you could try it in winter instead - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Well done, it’s in the bag. :D I do like the hazy views in your pictures!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:22 pm

Well done BC, and you even had time for a wee nap...closing in on the finale too.. nice one
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:19 pm

I like the trig point picture.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby basscadet » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks for all your kind comments, I'm glad you like the photos, despite the haze.. Something mystical and surreal about it right enough :)

It would be a lot better in winter, but aren't most hills? I'm sooo excited now the nights are drawing in.. :clap: but then I remember the long cold nights confined to the sleeping bag and that puts the excitement well in check! :lol:

Closing in on the 282, but am finding that thought rather sad, so taking it slow :wink: Bound to eventually, but in no rush.. :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland