walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My crazy adventure bagging Stob Binnein and Ben More

My crazy adventure bagging Stob Binnein and Ben More

Postby kevmcmahon1976 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:10 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 03/08/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1330m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

ben more.jpg
On this day i set off into unknown territory yet again and as always excited about what lay ahead. It was a sunny day although there was some clouds in the sky but first impression's suggested that it would be ok. My day didn't get off to a good start when i parked at the wrong place and had to walk about 2 mile to get to the correct path, with me again not having an adequate map. The plus point was i saw a beautiful Stag in the woods on the forestry path i was on. Eventually i found the correct path and headed up through the boggy ground i knew to expect. For the first time in ages i hadn't met anyone yet but could see a crag up to the left with an ascent on either side which i was reasonably certain was where i was meant to go. The ascent here was quite steep and i stopped at the waterfall a few times to get a much needed refreshing drink. It was then i noticed what i call the holy grail when hillwalking, people comig down the hill. I stopped and spoke to them who were lovely people and they confirmed i was heading in the right direction. We then exchanged photo's and said our goodbyes with a mutual respect for having met. I got to the crag and started heading right up towards Stob Binnein and this is where the weather changed dramatically. Heavy wind and rain set in and even though i put my waterproofs on even they only held so much out. I reached the top and then layed a stone dedicated to my uncle who is fighting cancer. This was my intended plan with one to go at the top of Ben More for my auntie who was fighting the same damn disease. The fog was heavy at the summit's but clear down below. I headed back down where i met a man who told me which way to go down the other side of More and to make sure i found the zizg-zag path and not the big quarry or gulley if i went the other way. I conquered Ben More and layed my stone but at the top the visibilty was near zero. I sheltered under a big rock for a bit hoping it would lift but it wasn't anytime soon. I had to then decide to make my way down as i was soaking wet and had to get down as soon as possible. Making my way through the fog was impossible and yes you guessed it i ended up in the quarry. This was now a very different challenge to descend this bugger. As always though i did not panic and made my way down through the rocks and cliff's slowly with great care. When i finally came out of the fog i was way off course from where my car was. Cramp had also now begun to set in and i was using much more energy than i needed to be at this time but had to keep going. This sapped my energy so much as i pretty much went straight down through terrible terrain and finally chopped down trees. I never even contemplate giving up though and through sheer willpower and determination i made it to the path i knew led to the car. When i got there i was so relieved and also knew i'd been stupid but looked back up the hill thought of the challenges i'd faced and smiled as i knew i'd been in one helluva adventure that turned out crazy but that i'd absolutely loved. If you ever climb these munro's or any other's i strongly advise you use a map and make sure you know your route. I'm confident in situation's like this but i know sometime i could push my luck too far. Anyway another double was in the bag and off home i set as happy as can be!!!!
Attachments
more.jpg
binnien.jpg
stob.jpg
kevmcmahon1976
Walker

Munros:13   

Re: My crazy adventure bagging Stob Binnein and Ben More

Postby kev_russ » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:21 am

Gawn yurself Kev :thumbup: sounds like a epic wee adventure you had. Nice touch with the stones!
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Re: My crazy adventure bagging Stob Binnein and Ben More

Postby kevmcmahon1976 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Thanks buddy it was an epic one but also one i wouldn't recommend to anyone unless you were extremely confident and a little bit crazy and i'm only slightly confident but absolutely mental lol :-)
kevmcmahon1976
Walker

Munros:13   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland