walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geal Charn (Monadhliath)

Geal Charn (Monadhliath)

Postby sid0995 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:57 am

Route description: Geal Chàrn, Monadhliath

Munros included on this walk: Geal Chàrn (Monadhliath)

Date walked: 04/04/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

To round off a weekend of cider and walking I started this walk at an unusually late time of the day for me. 1000hrs I was in the car parking area at the Garva Bridge, along with a couple of lads from Glasgow whom I tagged along with for a couple of kms.
1 Garva Bridge.jpg

Between us we made a poor initial route choice and set off up the western side of the stream, only do this if one of your aims is to get soaking feet for the duration of the walk. Aim achieved with some laughs to set me up for the day!
2 Stream aka wet feet.jpg

Here are a couple of photos I took on the way back to the motor showing the correct track to take with a structure of some kind used to cross such obstacles. I googled it and it comes up as a "bridge"!
3 Track from bridge.jpg

4 Bridge over stream.jpg

Anyway after a quick rest stop with the Glasgow crew and a Mars bar I looked at my phone on the O2 network and to my horror there was no signal. Bearing in mind my wife is still 39 weeks pregnant and could recall me at any time I told the lads I had to shoot on to get a reception or my head could be on the block. Cheerio!
Following the stream is a relatively easy route towards the base of the hill, however the path is pretty hard to identify in places and with the deep snow was pretty hard going.
5 Stream before fork.jpg

Looking back I could see gloomy looking clouds hanging around, safe in the knowledge it would brighten up around midday it was all good.
6 Looking back at weather.jpg

Arrived at the base of this mound for around 11.40 I knew the task in hand.
7 Straight forward mound.jpg

I reached the top 40 minutes later and the weather had closed in so went on a compass bearing to find the cairn.
8 On the hill.jpg

Over to the east you can just make out the corrie between Geal Charn and Beinn Sgiath.
9 Corrie.jpg

There she was, the cairn I was looking for (and I had a phone signal).
10 Cairn through mist.jpg

Time for a photo and a sandwich then a u-turn and descent.
11 Summit @ 12.30.jpg

Although the weather wasn't ideal I could imagine during pockets of sun and visibility that this hill was one for great views if climbed on the right day, hopefully when I return with caberfeidh munro baggers it will be.
12 Sunny patches.jpg

13 Clouds.jpg

14 Descent.jpg

True to form when I got far enough away from the summit the sun shone on it for my Glaswegian friends, never mind!
15 Summit @13.00.jpg

It was one of these descents that required you to watch almost every foot placement due to the undulating ground. I did however pick up the track on occasion.
16 Path on way back.jpg

The start and finish.
17 Gate and the end.jpg
Last edited by sid0995 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sid0995
Mountain Walker

Munros:152   Corbetts:11
Fionas:1   

Re: Geal Charn (Monadhliath)

Postby monty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:44 am

Another nice report Sid. No pictures of your micro spikes this time? I take it you didn't need them on this munro? We have probably seen the last of the snow for this year anyway. Its a bugger getting your feet wet early on in the walk as I experienced on many occasions last year :lol: Nice set of pictures. :D
monty

Postby sid0995 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks Monty. No spikes needed for this one at all, just a sense of humour! I suppose the importance of taking a few minutes initially to ensure you go on the right track was a good lesson for me yesterday. Also a spare pair of socks to have in the car for the drive home!
sid0995
Mountain Walker

Munros:152   Corbetts:11
Fionas:1   

Postby Tenbob » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Nice report and shots (especially liked the summit shot - it looks like you are wearing the cairn as a hat!)

Thinking about tackling this tomorrow but slightly dubious about the weather. We shall see. Oh, and I ALWAYS have spare dry socks in my rucksack AND a set in the car - been caught out in the past!
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland