walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Leven Corbett & Graham with fine views

Loch Leven Corbett & Graham with fine views

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:45 am

Route description: Mam na Gualainn circuit, Kinlochleven

Corbetts included on this walk: Mam na Gualainn

Fionas included on this walk: Tom Meadhoin

Date walked: 15/09/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 9.69 km

Ascent: 950m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My third hillwalk of the long weekend at Ariundle, dropped off for a good nights sleep in the tent at the Red Squirrel campsite and was up bright and early for a start at 0800hrs. Drove through Glencoe village and over the Ballachulish bridge and along the B863 on the North side of Loch Leven to a parking spot just beyond Callert House, where there is a track going up through the trees to the open hillside

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
View from the parking area towards the Pap of Glencoe
2.JPG
Roadside parking
3.JPG
Beinn a' Bheithir
4.JPG
Approaching the open hillside on a good track
5.JPG
Heading on up with the Corbett on the right
6.JPG
There is a path which takes you through to Larrigmor but although you are on it part of the way there is an ATV track on the East side of this which takes you to the high point of the beallach where there is a pile of stones between the two hills to be climbed, you can take either path or track, the track has been marked with poles which can be readily seen on the horizon when climbing. At the pile of stones turn East up the West slopes of Mam na Gualain where there is a feint path and a ATV track been formed
7.JPG
The path takes you towards a line of fence posts on your right where there is this gate to be climbed
8.JPG
Firtst sign of the trig point on the summit
9.JPG
Trig point photo looking towards the Pap of Glencoe
10.JPG
Cairn view
11.JPG
View looking South West from cairn
12.JPG
The next hill to be climbed a Graham Tom Meadhoin
13.JPG
Walk in the direction of the large pile of stones between the two path/track at the beallach. The going is slightly wet in places but once again the estate has erected posts to identify where the ATV should go, ie the high points and drier areas to walk
15.JPG
Looking back at the Corbett from the summit cairn on Tom Meadhoin. Had I read Johnny Corbetts report I might have headed over North to the Sub 2 Doire Ban, guess it's to be done another day then
16.JPG
Started back on the old path through to Lairigmor
17.JPG
Later on I went down the more grassy ATV track to save the old joints. Picture shows where the path and ATV track meet. A great morning out and a fine not too taxing walk before the long journey home.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Loch Leven Corbett & Graham with fine views

Postby Happyfeet » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:44 pm

Looks nice and it has a different view to you beloved Pap :wink:

One for next time I think.
Happyfeet
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:24   

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 pm

I need to stick these two in the memory banks Rod - looks like a good short day - 3hrs seems pretty quick for the distance/amount of ascent - you been in the gym while you've been quiet???
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Gordie12 wrote:I need to stick these two in the memory banks Rod - looks like a good short day - 3hrs seems pretty quick for the distance/amount of ascent - you been in the gym while you've been quiet???

Ha ha now there's a thought, gym, no just after the two previous hill days getting fitter again in fact 3hrs with5mins to spare. Good ground conditions especially on the Corbett made for fast moving a fine wee hill, but slightly annoyed I like JC missed out on the Sub2000er on the North. Guess you will be the first to do the three :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:52 pm

Been up a couple of times from Mamore Lodge so interesting to see from the other end. A fine hill I think.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:44 pm

litljortindan wrote:Been up a couple of times from Mamore Lodge so interesting to see from the other end. A fine hill I think.

I agree, a lovely wee hill with bonus views from the top. To walk the full length of the ridge on a fine day would be awesome :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Nice one, Rod - am gradually getting into these C's and G's - another to add to the list of possibles - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:12 pm

rockhopper wrote:Nice one, Rod - am gradually getting into these C's and G's - another to add to the list of possibles - cheers :)

Don't know about you rockhopper but I'm really enjoying the Corbetts :D Every bit as good as the Munros! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:29 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
rockhopper wrote:Nice one, Rod - am gradually getting into these C's and G's - another to add to the list of possibles - cheers :)

Don't know about you rockhopper but I'm really enjoying the Corbetts :D Every bit as good as the Munros! :D
yup - just a bit more challenging trying to link them up :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland