walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My unfinished business with Beinn Ime

My unfinished business with Beinn Ime

Postby kevmcmahon1976 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 31/08/2014

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1320m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was trip that was again one that was intended to complete some unfinished business. I'd been up The Cobbler before on a trip where i met Greg Hemphill from Still Game going up the hill. I'd also been back again to complete Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime but not far from the top of Bein Ime i'd had to turn back due to severe rain and decide to let the hill win this time and descend as quick as possible as i was soaking wet. As usual my journey begun from the car park next to Loch Long and i headed up the ziz-zag path at pace to get to the more level plain as i knew this would get one of the more strenious parts out of the way. Here i met 3 ladies and stopped for a chat and exchange of photo's as i always do. Then i kept heading on towards Beinn Ime constantly looking at the sheer beauty of The Cobbler excited knowing i'd be going there soon. I kept on going to the bottom of the ascent to Ime and remembered from my time before of the boggy path that lay ahead. This was a part where i was zig-zagging instead of the path for a change trying to avoid the worst parts. I got up so far and noticed just how far i'd got last time and even though i'd been so near the top last time i knew i'd still made the correct decision back then and would now finish the job. I got to the summit where i met a group of people occupying the round cairn using it for a well earned break and snack. I asked for one of them to take my photo and headed back a bit for my own recharge and short break. Beinn Ime was in the bag and now i jogged back down as i could not wait to get up The Cobbler. I ascended it from the back of it and met a few people on the way up as it was mobbed this day due to the magnificent weather and views we were all being treated to. I got to the top and without hesitation i was heading for the eye of the needle. As i was about to go do it i noticed 2 women who looked like they were not going to do it. I said come on you gotta do the last bit its the best part. They wern't keen but i persuaded them with the knowledge that i would assist them all the way and assured them of their safety. We headed through and i gave them advice on how best to move, making sure they didn't move till they felt comfortable enough to do so. When they got through they immediately knew why i was so insistant they did it. I climbed to the top and helped them up offering my hand as a grip when needed. They loved it at the top and when we got down safely they were very kind in their gratitude. My work wasn'y done though as coming through the eye to have a look was a lad with a fear of heights. He wasn't for doing it but i told him look lets conquer that fear, take my hand i said if you go i go and trust me i aint falling at all. Again i asissted him to the top with him shaking right to the top. As we stood on the top i said look around u did it and it was extremely pleasing to see how chuffed he looked. His mum was looking up at him too with pride and we posed for a photo for her proud of her son. We got down and these situation's are what i love about meeting people when i'm out. Were all nice to each other and give advice when required and i like to help others in any way and this kind of made my day and theirs. I now wanted to climb the 3rd peak which i'd never did before as it looked like a proper climb to the top so i went to see how hard it actually was. There was a guy climbing it and it looked do-able but a bit hairy. I shouted to the guy how hard is it he said average. I knew right away he was a rock climber by his answer. His name turned out to be Callum and iasked him to come back down and show me how he got up to which he did. He started climbing and giving me instructions on where to put my feet and hands and although i thought i'd have been a bit scared i was loving it. We climbed to the last bit the worst bit and with a slight push of faith i was there and over the moon. Job done all 3 peaks climbed. I thanked Callum and then headed back down the hill an unorthodox way to say the least. I headed for the dam and had my usual and traditional dip in the water which was cold but so refreshing. I finished my adventure by meeting the 2 women i'd helped at the top in the car park and they thanked me again before i got someone to take a picture of us. This was an awesome day with so many good point's and i can guarantee i will be back here as every time it always turns out to be a great day!!! :-)
Attachments
helen.jpg
callum.jpg
peak.jpg
10635995_759879224070808_6740428139822186079_n.jpg
cobb.jpg
bime.jpg
ime.jpg
kevmcmahon1976
Walker

Munros:13   

Re: My unfinished business with Beinn Ime

Postby kevmcmahon1976 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:03 am

Thanx RTC i was just checking your record of hills climbed and i'll give u a swap some of my friendliness etc for half of your record it's mighty impressive and i take my hat off to you with utter respect :-)
kevmcmahon1976
Walker

Munros:13   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland