walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Me and My Daughter's bagging of Ben Vorlich & Stuc a" Chroin

Me and My Daughter's bagging of Ben Vorlich & Stuc a" Chroin

Postby kevmcmahon1976 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 16/09/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1140m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had previously done Ben Vorlich infact it was my very 1st munro which i did with my brother who coincidentally hasn't done any since as i think thit one alone broke him :-) . Anyway the plan was i was heading off to complete some unfinished business by completing the double that being Stuc a Chroin. My daughter decided to come with me and that was a decision that made what i knew would already be a great day turn into an awesome father and daughter adventure and everlasting memory. We arrived at the shores of Lochearn and immediately started heading up a path that was familiar to me in weather that was quite simply perfect for a hillwalk. On the way up we passed the little dam which on my previous visit i had went in for a dip and as soon as my daughter seen it she too wanted to jump straight in to which i said, thats our prize when we get back down using this as inspiration for her to march on so we could get back down to enjoy this well earned dip. We met quite a few people on the way up including a 6 month pregnant foreign woman and her friends and we took turns in taking photo's for each other. We marched on with a stop for a sandwich 2 thirds of the way up then cracked on to the top. When we reached the summit there were lots of people there and we spoke to a few including Neil from fife who told me he had completed 242 munro's a fact i was very envious of. From here we could see awesome view's and obviously the main one of Stuc a Chroin where we were heading next. I could see there was 2 routes up Chroin and i asked Neil what the option's were. He said you can do the rocky scramble or the steep muddy path. I decided we would make our mind up when we got there as i was wanting to judge how safe it would be especially for my daughter. We headed down to the bottom and had a look at the 2 routes we could take. I was 100 percent committed to doing the rocky climb but wasn't sure what my daughter thought but as soon i as i asked her it was a resounding YES. We climbed up carefully and if truth be told we both were loving this route. The bravery shown by my daughter here made me so proud and we reached the top of the scramble without any problems. We were then faced with the 3 different cairn's and due to the fact no-one we met could make their mind up which was the summit we did the same as everyone else and placed a stone at every one just to be sure. We then headed down the other route to then follow the trail along the side of Vorlich to eventually join the main path. This part however as i'm sure many of you know was very boggy and my daughter wasn't enjoying the fact her feet were now wet and she was very mucky. I kept reminding her though of the dam and water that awaited us further down and this and her own persistance got us to where we wanted to be. The sight of the dam was as pleasing as a man lost in the desert looking for water and realising the mirage he thoguht he was seeing was actually real. I immediately got my shorts on and was in the water in a flash followed very soon after by my daughter. This was so refreshing and had been welll worth the wait a fact we both agreed on. We then made the final journey back to the car to complete what i can honestly say was an adventure that was simply epic. Stuc a Chroin in particular was amazing and surprised me by just how good it was. Both Munro's here are simply magnificent and we were graced with spectacular views all around. This was another experience i'll never forget and to have shared it with my daughter meant the absolute world to me and i hope she has the memory forever as it will definitely be etched in my mind for as long as i live. Every munro has its own characteristics and these 2 certainly have theirs and didn't dissapoint one bit. All in all we absolutely loved it!!!!!
Attachments
meant.jpg
chroin.jpg
vor.jpg
tay.jpg
neil.jpg
chro.jpg
kevmcmahon1976
Walker

Munros:13   

Re: Me and My Daughter's bagging of Ben Vorlich & Stuc a" Ch

Postby PerthAlly » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Well done the pair of you!

I tackled Ben Vorlich on Xmas Eve 1995 and finally got round to SaC this July ( and looped over BV again )

Good hike for a young lass!
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:31 pm

Well done both of you :clap: :clap: looks a top day :D still to tackle Stuc a Chroin, hopefully see to that pretty soon :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby kevmcmahon1976 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Thank you very much it was a great experience and Stuc a'chroin is an amazing hill to do. I have an amazing daughter with great potential and she has bagged 3 munro's now. I want her to thrive to do the best she can in life and realise there is nothing she can't do. Near the top of Vorlich on Sunday i had her saying over and over i can i can and as youv'e seen she did. I'm sure youll agree that if you ask that bit more of yourself and commit you will get it. :)
kevmcmahon1976
Walker

Postby kevmcmahon1976 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:04 am

If your interested in seeing some of my videos from my adventures go onto youtube and type in Mcmahon and Mcewan's Munro adventures. The videos are short and not aimed at getting any publicity or anything of the sort they are simply made for memories and to let some of my facebook friends see the beautiful country we have from a prospective they might never have considered before and maybe just maybe get them interested in getting out there themselves :-)
kevmcmahon1976
Walker

Postby MunroMadMen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Looks like you guys had a great day :) I climbed Vorlich on Tuesday but could'nt see a thing due to the cloud level, enjoyed the climb that much I am going back tomorrow to ensure I get better views and to complete Stuc A' Chroin....... her's hoping I get some clear skies..... :)
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby kevmcmahon1976 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:20 am

MunroMadMen i hope you got the skies you were hoping for and if you see this let me know what you think of Stuc a'Chroin as personally i thought it was a cracker :-)
kevmcmahon1976
Walker

Postby alfie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:34 pm

hi kev , you and i have a friend in common (iain robertson) and ive been out a few times with iain and gill!
hopefully get out with ye sometime bud! well done :clap:
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby MunroMadMen » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:24 pm

kevmcmahon1976 wrote:MunroMadMen i hope you got the skies you were hoping for and if you see this let me know what you think of Stuc a'Chroin as personally i thought it was a cracker :-)

Hi Kev,

I will need to go back and get Stuc A' Chroin as the weather today was pretty poor, visibility nil however your pics have convinced me to return, just need to keep my eye on the forecast, off work til nxt Friday so got time to fit a few more in :) I'll let you know how it goes mate

Cheers

Geo
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby kevmcmahon1976 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:32 am

alfie is that not just the beauty of hillwalking :-) i did Ben Nevis with Iain and Jill and Gillian Buckley i've not been back out with them again yet but if you or iain want to arrange something for us all to go bag any munro i'm well in i'm munro bagging daft and look forward to something being arranged :-)
Attachments
ian.jpg
kevmcmahon1976
Walker

Postby kevmcmahon1976 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:36 am

Munromadmen Geo i'm sure if you persist the skies will be kind to you eventually and i'm also certain you will love Stuc a Chroin you gotta do the rocky scramble though that makes the day although on the other side its a bit boggy on the way back but i'm sure like me the buzz from doing the hill will outdo that have a good one i look forward to your report :-)
kevmcmahon1976
Walker

Postby MunroMadMen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:53 pm

kevmcmahon1976 wrote:Munromadmen Geo i'm sure if you persist the skies will be kind to you eventually and i'm also certain you will love Stuc a Chroin you gotta do the rocky scramble though that makes the day although on the other side its a bit boggy on the way back but i'm sure like me the buzz from doing the hill will outdo that have a good one i look forward to your report :-)

Cheers Kev ;)
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland