walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GPS Android Phone App

GPS Android Phone App

Postby algorhythm » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:34 am

Hi, does anyone know of any good Android apps that incorporate GPS maps or tracking route/distance covered? Just started hillwalking so got a lot of gear that I need to buy with a limited budget and as I already have a phone with GPS capabilities I thought I would try and use my phones GPS until I get round to buying a proper bit of gear (or maybe the phone will suffice?).
algorhythm
Munro compleatist

Munros:30   Corbetts:38
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:13

Re: GPS Android Phone App

Postby Michael Thomson » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:09 am

Do a search, this one has been discussed a few times. The majority use Viewranger, but there's a range of others to choose from.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby Gythral » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:39 pm

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=45018&st=0&
is the most recent discussion on this.

but Viewranger seems the most common choice & personally I'd not buy a GPS unit just to get co-ordinates, the cheaper units, or spend the cost of a good smart phone to get one that does show tiny map segments.
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby jepsonscotland » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:42 pm

I would suggest ''Maverick'', for phone GPS.
A few of us on here use it and it has definitely saved me buying an expensive GPS handset. (62s-£249) :shock:
Full Pro version is only £4, is simple to use and GPX files download straight from WH gps planner.
Plus I have used it over 2 days with 'gps on', on the same battery! (turned off in tent overnight)
This is quite something as even some of the best gps units will only last a day.

For grid reference I use the OS free version GR free version for SIX figure references. They both work fine and every time I have cross referenced them with others' units, they have been spot on. :D

Obviously, it goes without saying (and i'm sure others may mention it :lol: ) a map, compass and the ability to use them is by far the best and most reliable method. :wink:

Chris

PS. ''Our Cab'' may have some interesting methods that involve fish or similar! :lol: :lol:
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Wanderlust7 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:40 pm

I have used the OS Locate app on android, which works fine for 6 figure grids, however, the altimetre has proved to be around 50-70m too high than I actually was. It was very easy as it has compass and grid on the same page. I think this would be ideal for you.

Viewranger is better though and has many more options and functionality. I prefer co ords to 8 figs and you can place your mapping gpx routes in it too.

Nothwihstanding the above, I always have a printed off map in my hand in a wee A4 plastic sleve. I could never justify to myself £280-£400 on a GPS receiver with mapping when you can do it cheaper, although each to their own as always.

The good thing about android is you can buy sd cards with UK mapping on them, although 1:25K is dear. 1:50K from Liverpool to Shetlands is under £50.

Further, I always research my intended route and heed others advice on here as well as watching it on Google 3D, apart from clag etc, I have found this helps no end and have completed many munros without ever having to use my map or switch on my phone.

I do see the two options as having different uses though and too many are over reliant on GPS, if you start with your map and compass and use the GPS on your phone to help that is ideal. Use and trust your compass and learn pacing out 100m on flat ground (i.e. running track) and practice this many times so in heavy mist you will trust the compass and your own abilities.

As with all things there are a multitude of simple courses on line you can google (start with OS themsleves) and you tube. If you PM me I can email you some map rading lessons too.

Tiso also do map reading and GPS taster courses. Hope this helps.
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby calicoshmalico » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:45 pm

I have been using Alpinequest. I used the free version, but quickly upgraded to the full package. I can store a whole area of map to my SD card for offline use and download gpx files of intended routes from WH straight to the map. I have found it to be a very useful tool. Like everything else, read reviews then chose.
calicoshmalico
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:18
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   Islands:6

Postby Navvarr » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:21 pm

I've used Sports Tracker for years on my Symbian phones- currently using a Nokia 808.

The advantages for me are... offline maps converted using Mobac using the open cycle maps which gives me route, contours and all the information I need at all zoomable levels. -No need for 3G coverage- its all on my phone.

The Nokia 808 also allows you to store 'favourites' -I just set a waypoint as a favourite and can use 'navigate to' to navigate easily in mist / fog / whiteouts.

The Nokia 808 has a 41MP camera -excellent for those amazing scenic panoramic vistas we all enjoy.

I bought an extra long life Mugan Power battery for my Nokia 808 - my phone lasts me ALL day even using GPS.

A symbian phone costs buttons these days-does so much more.

A Nokia 808 will cost you around £200 - or perhaps if thats too pricey a Nokia N8 around £100 -or even a Nokia C7 will do the job for about £50.

Personally, for safety and back up -I have two 808's and a C7 all with preloaded maps and spare batteries- all on different mobile networks- more chance of getting a signal if I get into difficulty.
Navvarr
Munro compleatist

Munros:75   Corbetts:7

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:28 am

Wanderlust7 wrote:I have used the OS Locate app on android, which works fine for 6 figure grids, however, the altimetre has proved to be around 50-70m too high than I actually was. It was very easy as it has compass and grid on the same page. I think this would be ideal for you.

Viewranger is better though and has many more options and functionality. I prefer co ords to 8 figs and you can place your mapping gpx routes in it too.

Nothwihstanding the above, I always have a printed off map in my hand in a wee A4 plastic sleve. I could never justify to myself £280-£400 on a GPS receiver with mapping when you can do it cheaper, although each to their own as always.

The good thing about android is you can buy sd cards with UK mapping on them, although 1:25K is dear. 1:50K from Liverpool to Shetlands is under £50.

Further, I always research my intended route and heed others advice on here as well as watching it on Google 3D, apart from clag etc, I have found this helps no end and have completed many munros without ever having to use my map or switch on my phone.

I do see the two options as having different uses though and too many are over reliant on GPS, if you start with your map and compass and use the GPS on your phone to help that is ideal. Use and trust your compass and learn pacing out 100m on flat ground (i.e. running track) and practice this many times so in heavy mist you will trust the compass and your own abilities.

As with all things there are a multitude of simple courses on line you can google (start with OS themsleves) and you tube. If you PM me I can email you some map rading lessons too.

Tiso also do map reading and GPS taster courses. Hope this helps.

I used OS Locate when it first came out for Android a couple of months back. Yes, the altimeter thingy is waaaayyyy off by about 50-60M, but the 6-figure map ref is spot on. Thing is, all of a sudden, it doesn't work. Dunno why? My phone hasn't changed any :(
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk