walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Helm Crag to Steel Fell

Helm Crag to Steel Fell

Postby made in Scotland » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Calf Crag, Gibson Knott, Helm Crag, Steel Fell

Date walked: 30/08/2014

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Managed to get parked on the roadside in Grasmere and cut through the wooded area to come out on to Easdale Road. Continued ahead and then turned up this track. "Not for cars" sign - surely no-one has tried it in a car?
Greenburn Round Aug14 001.JPG
Followed the track, through the gate, then right along the back of the wall until I met the path going up Helm Crag.
Greenburn Round Aug14 005.JPG
Looking across to Easdale and the waterfall. There were a few others walking today on Helm Crag but as soon as I passed there it got quieter and quieter.
Greenburn Round Aug14 019.JPG
Looking back towards Grasmere - great view for not very much effort.
Greenburn Round Aug14 020.JPG
Looking at the Lion and the Lamb - although it looks more lion-ish and lamb-ish from other angles.
Greenburn Round Aug14 023.JPG
The Howitzer - I didn't try it!
Greenburn Round Aug14 031.JPG
Heading along to Gibson Knott views of Easdale Tarn appear. Very quiet along here - just me and what looked like a Duke of Edinburgh group - later I heard them discussing the fact they were about to walk off the edge ... of their map! When I studied the route the night before I realised I needed more than one map but only for a tweeny weeny little section, and then I would be back on my main map again - so I decided to be a crazy risk taker and only take the one, I did feel a little bit guilty tbh, and I think I walked extra fast while I was off my map for a few hundred metres 'til I got back on it again!
Greenburn Round Aug14 040.JPG
Looking back to Helm Crag from the top of Gibson Knott.
Greenburn Round Aug14 044.JPG
Looking across to Steel Fell from the top of Gibson Knott. I would be across there on the way back.
Greenburn Round Aug14 056.JPG
From the top of Calf Crag looking towards Steel Fell. Steel Fell Tarn just visible. I just headed directly across to Steel Fell Tarn from Calf Crag following the old metal fence posts; it's quite boggy but the fence posts are a pretty good route across it.
Greenburn Round Aug14 059.JPG
Steel Fell Tarn - very pretty - I never saw anyone all the way from Calf Crag until I was back on Easdale Rd at the very end of the walk.
Greenburn Round Aug14 060.JPG
Looking back across to Helm Crag and Gibson Knot where I was earlier.
Greenburn Round Aug14 064.JPG
Stopping to admire the view on Steel Fell.
Greenburn Round Aug14 076.JPG
Followed the fence & path to top of Steel Fell, with Thirlmere behind.
Greenburn Round Aug14 080.JPG
The route back down from Steel Fell to Grasmere. Lots of bracken but the path is clear, good views all they way of where I had been earlier. Came to the end of the path and turned left, through the gate and followed the narrow road all the way back below Helm Crag, lots of blackberries slowed me down, then onto Easdale Road again, shortcut through the woods and back to the car. Too late for Gingerbread!
made in Scotland
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:140   

Re: Helm Crag to Steel Fell

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:18 pm

That's a really good Lakeland horseshoe. A. Wainwright's name is at the top of the Wainwright Society's list of completers, and he didn't climb to the top of the Howitzer either. So that should justify your blue balloon on Helm Crag!

made in Scotland wrote:they were about to walk off the edge ... of their map!

For some walks on the hills near Grasmere, you'd need all four of the Lake District maps if you're using the OS Explorers. One advantage of printing the area you need from a digital map.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland