walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A touch of Heaven after a day of purgatory.

A touch of Heaven after a day of purgatory.

Postby jepsonscotland » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Coileachan, Beinn Liath Mhòr Fannaich, Meall a' Chrasgaidh, Meall Gorm, Sgùrr Mòr, Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, Sgùrr nan Each

Date walked: 18/09/2014

Time taken: 18 hours

Distance: 44 km

Ascent: 2726m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our first walk report comes after a very fitting series of events; arranged meet up, a great day out with WH friends, first wild camp at altitude and last but not least first cloud inversion. :D
After heading out with Karen (kmai1961), Martin (FF), and Gary (backpacker) on the Saturday we trudged with our previously mentioned, sizeable packs with everything and a couple of kitchen sinks. :lol: (as eloquently described by Martin in his report of the Saturday)
This was quickly repaid by the almost spiritual experience of a first cloud inversion that lasted well over an hour and put us on such a high that even when we 'fell off' later :shock: , we still couldn't come down!

After saying goodbye to our WH friends, at the eastern end of the Fannichs, we headed back to Sgurr Mor to collect our heavy burdens with dread. :shock: It suddenly looked a very long way!

1-2014-09-13_15.51.37_056.jpg
A long way back to Sgurr Mor...

After battling our fatigue on the long trip back, (and re-united with our heavy packs :roll: ) we headed over SM and down to the Loch south of Carn na Criche, where we would pitch camp, not long before dark!

Camp Site.jpg
Looks like a nice place to camp.

Looking back at Sgurr Mor.jpg
Looking back at Sgurr Mor (wasn't an easy descent with our packs!)

Chris tent.jpg
Pitching just before dark.

After a hot meal and donning our down jackets :shock: , we got a great view of the stars. So much more detail to the naked eye, than available near our urban dwellings. Breathtaking.

On Sunday morning we awoke in the mist with hazy sunshine, looking up at Sgurr Mor from about 2820 feet.
But, as soon as the direct sunlight arrived the mist cleared, leaving us with a beautiful sunrise, certainly the most memorable for me. Looking down into the Glen over the western side of SM, we caught our first sight of our first cloud inversion. Words and photos don't do it justice, but we'll give it a try. :D

Inversion1.jpg
Morning treat

Before long the mist rolled in, so we had breakfast (lamb casserole :lol: ) and then headed up Sgurr nan Clach Geala, hoping for some views higher up.

Inversion2.jpg
Climbing out of the clouds

Inversion3.jpg
Ooh, this should be nice...

Inversion4.jpg
Beinn Dearg in the distance.

Inversion5.jpg
The money shot! Sgurr Mor from Sgurr nan Clach Geala

Inversion6.jpg
Clouds shrouding Sgurr Breac and A'Chailleach

As we descended to Sgurr nan Each, the cloud took over again, but we were not down heartened after the earlier treats of that morning.

Frog.jpg
Made a new friend (obligatory wildlife shot)

A quick snack and then back to the tents to pack up and return. The cloud disappeared after the second climbing of SnCG, leaving great views and photo opportunities in all directions.

Tents.jpg
Our home for the night (spot the tents)

On returning to pack up the tents, we met the only other person we saw on the hill that day. A real surprise considering the weather. Then headed off to the last of our weekends' seven Munros, Meall a'Chrasgaidh. We had intended to do all nine, but the weight of the packs and all the effort of Saturday's excursion had got the better of us! :crazy:

Meall a'Chrasgaidh view.jpg
An Teallach and the Fisherfields from Meall a'Chrasgaidh

On the final summit we made the decision to ''straight line'' our return route to the car, instead of the lengthy, gentle path back to the western car park with several miles along the road. This turned out to be both a blessing (quicker) and a curse (steep with a capital S). :lol: It was incredibly steep, but looked so inviting compared to the 'long way round'.

Our proposed route home.jpg
A short cut?

Maybe too steep.jpg
Hey Chris, how steep is it?

When we looked back up the way we came down, we weren't really surprised that we fell!! :lol: I'm not sure we'd have attempted it, if we had even a glimpse of the look up! :crazy:

looking back at the steep.jpg
We couldn't believe we came down that, only fell once!

The return back to the car gave some great photo opps, especially as the sun moved behind the hills to our west.

sun going down.jpg

Our final view of the hills, before setting off through the midge swarm in the car.

getting dark.jpg

A fantastic weekend all round.
Saturday was a day of gruelling effort but with good friends on some great hills. Over 6000 feet of ascent. A real achievement as neither of us had ever walked that far with that much kit before. :D
Sunday was very different, almost effortless by comparison. What a morning wake up, followed by such incredible beauty seemed to rid us of all sense of fatigue. A huge tick on the ''bucket list'' and something I shall never forget. Still on a high after a week! :D

A huge THANK YOU to all of you on Walkhighlands for all of your encouragement, wisdom, enticing walk reports, tech advice, lifts, sweets but most of all a warm welcome to the club and helping us feed our passion for the hills.

Cheers all,
Chris (jepsonscotland) and Andy (Flump)

Sorry it's taken a week to create, but it's our first go and we've been on different shifts.
Maybe if we start another one now we can use it for our 100th celebration. :lol:
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: A touch of Heaven after a day of purgatory.

Postby weaselmaster » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm enjoying your atmospheric pics, esp the sunset ones
Sounds a grand day out :clap:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:178   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:47 pm

That looked like a brilliant experience. Great photos.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:50 pm

Enjoyed reading that Chris and the photo's are superb :clap: :clap:

How come you got the decent weather? Maybe that was your reward for carrying those heavy rucksacks :lol: :lol:
I can't remember the last time I got views from a summit :(

Now that you have finally finished your first report, the next one will be a scoosh :lol: As you probably discovered eventually, compiling a report isn't a two minute task :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby rockhopper » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Nice skies both nights and a cracking inversion - no wonder you were so happy :thumbup: One of the benefits of a high camp, makes lugging your stuff up there worthwhile - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby kev_russ » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:08 pm

Great report and stunning inversion pics :clap: yi just Cannae beat a high camp.
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Backpacker » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:00 pm

Good report lads and you got some cracking views on the sunday.

Like Martin, I'm struggling to remember the last time I got a view
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby jepsonscotland » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments. :D

:roll: I completely forgot about the ''brocken spectre'' pics!!! :roll:

I'll ask Andy (Flump) if he can send me a copy and i'll add it in to a reply.
Another 'bucket list' tick, I think. :lol:
Thanks again
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Postby Flump » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Hey,
Here's the best spectre pic I took, a little faint but they looked great at the time. :lol:
Brocken Spectre.jpg

Also, a pic I forgot about when we created the report, a shot of the ridge we did on the Saturday between Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich & Sgurr Mor (in the clag so we couldn't see anything).
Beinn Liath Mhor Fannaich & Sgurr Mor.JPG

A great learning experience, mustn't take as much food and water next time although stuffing my face all weekend to make my pack lighter was nice. :D
Flump

Munros:174   Corbetts:11
Fionas:12   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   

Postby jepsonscotland » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:15 pm

Thanks Andy. :D
Great shots and perfect timing! :wink:
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:58 pm

A great first report, Chris, and a fine effort on the Fannichs. Nice photo of the Brocken spectre, Andy.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Silverhill » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:29 pm

Well done both, sounds tough but well worth it. :clap: Very much like the inversion and brocken spectre pictures. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Excellent pictures and you've certainly captured the excitement and emotion of your trip in the report.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby kmai1961 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:36 am

Chris/Andy --

What a great report, and what marvellous pics. I'm so chuffed for you that your first wild camp was such a roaring success: views and stars and a brocken spectre and inversions! You must be living virtuously. Or maybe it's because your socks are always on the correct feet :lol: .

Well done, lads. See youse soon.

K
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:90   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby jepsonscotland » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:09 am

kmai1961 wrote:Or maybe it's because your socks are always on the correct feet .

Lmao! :lol: :lol:

Thank you all for your kind comments. We were very, very lucky. I crack a beaming smile just thinking about it. 8)
All credit to Andy (Flump) for the photos. :D
I really must get a decent camera, maybe a Sony, as suggested recently. :wink: (thanks ML)
Cheers
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland