walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Arkaig 3....make that 4

Loch Arkaig 3....make that 4

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: Garbh Chioch Mhòr, Sgùrr Mòr (Loch Quoich), Sgùrr na Cìche, Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glen Dessary)

Date walked: 20/09/2014

Time taken: 11.5 hours

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had the Knoydart hills still to do, hopefully in the next few weeks so decided on the Loch Arkaig trio so I could get a view of what to expect when I return to do the remote Knoydart 3.

A look at the map in advance showed Sgurr Mor also unvisited, although given the quoted times for the other 3, I certainly wasn’t sure it would be within my grasp, but kept in mind and actually plotted it in advance, so maybe I had made my mind up, not least as it was a far sized walk on its own.

I wasn’t in the best shape when I awoke at 0430 to get ready, having only had 4 hours kip the last two nights, so wearily I set off in no rush.

As daylight overtook darkness on the way down, it was looking somewhat gloomy on the route down Laggan and further on at Spean Bridge, the Corries, Aonachs and the Ben all hidden from view.

But as I turned into Loch Arkaig that all changed and I stopped a few times on route for pics…well its not a road that you can admire them whilst driving, rollercoaster is very apt Jeez

WH1.jpg

Deer stalking suggested a route up the glen which I duely followed on a good track, but this was some 6 miles in, one lady taking to 2 wheels for the first part of the journey. But once the forest was left behind, my first view of Sgurr na Ciche, still in some clag but soon to clear.

WH2.jpg

Amazing light today looking back down the glen.

WH3.jpg

The initial ascent is on a good path and time to soak up the sun and ponder…

WH4.jpg

The path skirts the base of the rock face and enters a gulley, where the clegs had a field day with me.

WH5.jpg

The top of the gully and breeze thankfully, but the uphill still continued until finally at the summit of the tallest of the day, and the views were stunning.

WH6.jpg

Loch Nevis and Knoydart stole the day

WH7.jpg

WH8.jpg

About face for a view of my route, with both of the other two munros ahead, first Garbh Chioch Mor and behind looking some way off Sgurr nan Coireachan. Sgurr Mor out of shot.

WH9.jpg

Ascent of Garbh Chioch Mor gave a good view of the ascent route direct up the flanks of Sgurr na Ciche.

WH10.jpg

But after a brief stop to take in more views I headed off along the lumpy ridge, and Sgurr Mor came into view.

WH11.jpg

Later looking at the map the distance to this remote one was as much again as the ridge I was now on. My mind was changing, until I met a fellow walker up for the weekend who told me not to dismiss it just yet, he pointed out that the ridge to it looked more inviting than the traverse we were currently on. Hmm, all very well, but the legs need to be willing and able.

At the near side of Coireachan, I sat, map out, should I do it or not. I was weary, the lack of sleep catching up on me, also out of drink, if I were to press on I would need water. I looked long and hard at the route should I do this one separately, it didn’t cheer me up, I was here now, a large part of the climb done, and of course the walk in, not to mention a return drive down Loch Arkaig…that clinched it.

I climbed Coireachan and descended the far side and off the ridge to replenish my water, and set off to Sgurr Mor, with a couple of bumps in the way before Sgurr Mor itself.

The final slopes were zig zagged making the work easier at this stage of the day, with views back to more stunning light shows.

WH13.jpg

Views also to the Ben and Aonachs now free of that early morning cloud.

WH15.jpg

Finally the summit, I was shot ! The pointed outline of Sgurr na Ciche behind me.

WH16.jpg

One last look at Loch Quoich

WH17.jpg

And the surrounding hills as the sun fell lower

WH18.jpg

The Grey Corries now glistening too

WH20.jpg

My final shot of the route out through the pass opposite.

WH21.jpg

It had been a long day, I was pooped with the walk out over pathless terrain for the descent. But by 2030hrs I reached the car, in all 11.5 hours.

I hurriedly packed away my gear into the car so I could guzzle my drink that I had visions of for the last 3 miles, having almost choked on some cheese due to lack of spit.

I now had almost an hours drive to get out from loch Arkaig and set off forgetting my GPS which I had placed atop the spare wheel. I pulled up after only a couple of hundred yards but despite a search found no trace, so not only a long day but a trifle expensive too.

But what a day to savour :D :D :D :D :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Loch Arkaig 3....make that 4

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Bummer about the GPS but what a day - great effort.

Haven't seen a cleg for weeks - I thought the season was over for them.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:30 pm

Ooooft now that's a huge day,stunning area I still need to get to
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:41 pm

Certainly is Gammy.

Sussed out the insects

Deer Ked.jpg

They will not reproduce on any other host than deer. They will however bite humans, and the bites are said to be painful and may cause an allergic skin reaction. Initially the bite may be barely noticeable and leaves little or no trace. Within 3 days, the site develops into a hard, reddened welt. The accompanying itch is intense and typically lasts 14 to 20 days. Occasionally, an itch papule may persist for a year.[3] The main annoyance in humans is the inconvenience and unpleasantness of removing keds from hair and clothes.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:22 pm

That makes sense - seen a lot of those around lately and hard to shake off.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:42 pm

A great effort, Dave. That looks like a real beauty of a route, with some magnificent views.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Cheesr Simon-b, it certainly was, although I think Sgurr Mor was a hil too far, maybe with an earlier start as it was 0900hrs when I set off, a late one for me :lol:

I think the two short nights sleep didnt help
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby tall-story » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:50 pm

Great report there, it reminded me well of my 10.5hr day without doing Sgurr Mor, that was another day along with its Corbett neighbour. Are those beasties not known as Kedds?? The Rd Deer at this time of year are crawling with them :shock: Oops, just read it properly :oops: Time for bed me thinks :wink:
tall-story
Walker

Munros:158   Corbetts:222
Fionas:37   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:42 am

yep, I was crawling with them too :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:47 am

Great report and pictures! Need to head there at some point as well. Seen these little insects on quite a few occasions as well...did not realize they would sting/bite :shock:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Cheers Mountainlove, thought I had a long walk till I saw your latest jeez you go girl.
Have to invite you on one of mine :lol: not sure I'd keep up with yours :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby jepsonscotland » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Great effort, a hell of a job in one day!! :clap: :clap:
Those Keds were everywhere last week. :shock:
Didn't seem to bite, but hung on for grim death, strangely!
The shot of Glen Nevis is simply superb. :clap: The views up there are really spectacular. 8)
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby electricfly » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:53 pm

Seems that losing valuables on epic treks is trending! :lol:

I really don't envy your walk out over that pass. We did Sgurr Mor yesterday via Glen Kingie, which was a 7 mile walk in/out, but the going was fairly level and dry. When dropping back down to Glen Kingie that pass on the far side looked torturous.

Yesterday's soundtrack mostly consisted of Shona's insect inspired tourettes...

..."Ked tae f@*k!" :shock: :lol:

Thinking of tackling Knoydart soon too. Probably going to be a Sun/Mon if you fancy a joint expedition? :D
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:03 pm

jepsonscotland wrote:Great effort, a hell of a job in one day!! :clap: :clap:
Those Keds were everywhere last week. :shock:
Didn't seem to bite, but hung on for grim death, strangely!
The shot of Glen Nevis is simply superb. :clap: The views up there are really spectacular. 8)
Chris

Thanks Jep, views are stunning, something about having mountains running to the sea, like An Teallach, could sit there for hours taking it all in.

electricfly wrote:Seems that losing valuables on epic treks is trending! :lol:

I really don't envy your walk out over that pass. We did Sgurr Mor yesterday via Glen Kingie, which was a 7 mile walk in/out, but the going was fairly level and dry. When dropping back down to Glen Kingie that pass on the far side looked torturous.

Yesterday's soundtrack mostly consisted of Shona's insect inspired tourettes...

..."Ked tae f@*k!" :shock: :lol:

Thinking of tackling Knoydart soon too. Probably going to be a Sun/Mon if you fancy a joint expedition? :D

:lol: ah yes, remember you losing a few bits. The map showed a path over that pass, well lucky it had been dry, it was where stalkers drive those quad thingies, and it didn't exactly go in a straight line either.

Bugs were out cripes.

Knoydart, yes no question, think I have 1 days leave, as rest is booked. Sun/mon, is that walking in, camp, bothy, boat ? I was planning to walk into Barrisdale, first day, do all 3 next day, then out or crash out and walk out, but happy to go with any plans, be great to see you and the pack, as long as I don't have to carry the dog food :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby stuliv83 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Beautiful photos. What an amazing looking walk. Thanks for sharing.
stuliv83
Rambler

Munros:183   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1
Islands:7

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland