walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Finding a little solace in Glen Kinglass

Finding a little solace in Glen Kinglass

Postby weaselmaster » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Ghabhar

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Suidhe

Date walked: 20/09/2014

Time taken: 7.2 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1561m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As anyone who reads my blog regularly knows, I'm out on the hills every weekend, rain or shine. However only once before have I wakened to get ready for the hills with such a sense of joyless despondency as today - and that was the day after my dog died. Like many others I had allowed myself to have just a little bit of hope that we might take the country to a better and fairer future on Thursday, but that dream was crushed by the 55%. So with a mouth full of ashes I got ready to head off for the day - couldn't bear the prospect of an overnighter this weekend. Driving up to Bridge of Orchy I had a lump in my throat passing the YES signs coming out of Dumbarton. I was in tears driving through Crianlarich when I read the "Bairns, not bombs" sticker on the car in front. What a squandered opportunity.
:(

I'd decided to head up Stob Ghabhar to collect a couple of tops there, then head round over Meall Nan Eun and down to Loch Dochart before going up Beinn Suidhe on the other side of the loch. Walked up to the Clashgour hut which was quite busy, then up by the Allt Ghabhar, crossing the river at the cairn and going up the back of Stob Maol to reach Ghabhar itself. I've descended by this route when I've been up before - it's a really easy way to get to the top quickly although you miss all the interest of the Couloir Buttress, so I couldn't really recommend it. Took about 2 hours to get to the top of Ghabhar, just as the mist closed in around me, making the day a little chilly. I pressed on through the clag, following a line of fenceposts over scree/boulders then easy grassy ground to the first top, Sron a'Ghearrain at 990m. The mist was clearing, giving good views of the Etive and Black Mount hills, with Cruachan in particular standing out with the pointy pyramid of Stob Diamh. It was only a short distance to the next top, Stob a' Bhruaich Leith at 941m. I enjoyed the rows of ridges in the valleys ahead.

Stob Ghabhar/ Meall Odhar from the Hut
ImageP1030934 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Meall Odhar
ImageP1030935 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Stob Ghabhar summit
ImageP1030937 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Coirein Lochain
ImageP1030938 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View to first top
ImageP1030940 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Sron a'Ghearrain
ImageP1030941 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Etive hills
ImageP1030945 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Stob a'Bhruaich Leith
ImageP1030944 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Top 2
ImageP1030946 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Cruachan/Diamh to left
ImageP1030947 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Walking so far had done little to raise my spirits, despite the good weather, views and solitude. I couldn't be bothered walking over Meall Odhar, Meall nan Eun then Meall Tarsuinn as I'd planned so decided to cut straight down SW off Bhruaich Leith and aim for the Allt Dochard. It was fairly steep with some areas of scree, but as Sick Kid wasn't with me, and as I really didn't care too much about steepness today I headed down without difficulty as it turned out. Followed some deer tracks alongside the river and stopped to have lunch on a mossy boulder at about 12.30. I walked on, keeping to the west side of the river, every so often stepping into boggy holes (I'd say this would be challenging in wet conditions due to the bogs). Eventually I came to a watercourse that I had to cross - hadn't really paid attention on the map and there was no way round it. The water was deep and I was apprehensive about whether the bed of the river would be sinky. Fortunately I had my mesh Salomon shoes on today, so I just removed my socks and went for it - water was cool and up to my crotch, but the bed was OK and I got over alright.

View down the Allt to Beinn Suidhe
ImageP1030948 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Looking back at Ghabhar
ImageP1030949 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Steep down
ImageP1030950 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Meall nan Eun
ImageP1030951 by 23weasels, on Flickr

River crossing
ImageP1030954 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Beinn Suidhe was straight ahead, just a steady slope in appearance from this angle. I came to a vehicle track which I walked along for a short way before heading into Coire Fearna, loosely following the stream course. Was hot work and I felt puffed out. Got to the top section and headed for the cairn. Good views of the line of hills from Glas Beinn Mhor to Meall Nan Eun, with SC an Albannaich standing out proud- "the Peak of the Scotsmen's Coire" - ironic today. Headed off the hill NE, towards Tom Liath and the footbridge over the river. About halfway down I suddenly felt dizzy - most unpleasant feeling. I think I'd probably jarred myself stepping into several holes concealed in the long grass, but it wasn't nice. I had another cup of coffee and something to eat and it seemed to have improved as I got going again. However the bouncy suspension of the Clashgour Bridge wasn't great in my condition - I think that's the swingiest bridge I have walked over :crazy: . Then it was a matter of following the footpath along through the trees and back to the Clashgour Hut, by which time I was feeling alright again.

Rough grass up Beinn Suidhe
ImageP1030957 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Cruachan
ImageP1030958 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Black Mount hills from Top Suidhe
ImageP1030960 by 23weasels, on Flickr

SC an Albannaich
ImageP1030961 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Suidhe from the valley
ImageP1030964 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Another view of Suidhe
ImageP1030965 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Black Mount
ImageP1030967 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Back to the car, Victoria Bridge car park pretty full by now. No tears driving down the road. The mountains had obviously helped with those feelings. Now I'm angry.

Stats (a bit off as didn't start quite at the beginning)
ImageP1030968 by 23weasels, on Flickr

suidhe.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Finding a little solace in Glen Kinglass

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:02 pm

Aye same here tried to walk my misery off with the brothers and sisters 6 , intended overnighter, 17k pack , ended up going down in good company with meeting Malky from the site which lifted my spirits

A victory of fear ,lies and bullying over hope and inspiring inclusiveness ,what an opportunity we passed up ,shameful .

Still grand report and we will be back :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Re: Finding a little solace in Glen Kinglass

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Share the feeling of despondency :( Great report and photos though - there's nothing like few hills on a lovely day to lift the spirits.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland