walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An enjoyable wander from the Kirkstone Pass Inn

An enjoyable wander from the Kirkstone Pass Inn

Postby martin.h » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:24 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: High Hartsop Dodd, Little Hart Crag, Middle Dodd, Red Screes

Hewitts included on this walk: Little Hart Crag, Red Screes

Date walked: 21/09/2014

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 850m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've driven over the Kirkstone Pass on several occasions and always looked at Red Screes thinking it would be a nice walk from the pub albeit a short one. When I started looking at collecting Wainwrights I saw that from the car park we could have a nice walk and take in four of them. Looking at the map the walk I had in mind would involve a bit of backtracking but could be adapted to keep this to a minimum.
From the car park over the road from the pub onto Red Screes is quite a steep climb but its effects are lessened due to its high start point and the good, solid path.
DSC00055.JPG
View to Windermere on the way up.

DSC00057.JPG
The pub, more inviting on the way down.

We arrived at the trig pillar forty minutes later and the views were good if a bit hazy, most of the Lakes can be seen from here especially the bigger mountains.
DSC00060.JPG
Denise on the summit of Red Screes.

DSC00061.JPG
Towards Ullswater and the fells above Hartsop.

From the trig we took the short walk S.W to the large cairn above Raven Crag to get the views to the distant mountains,
DSC00063.JPG
Big views

DSC00064.JPG
Over to the Scafells.

DSC00068.JPG
Froswick, Yoke and Harter Fell beyond.

DSC00069.JPG
Windermere

DSC00070.JPG
The Coniston Fells

DSC00073.JPG
Scafells again with Great Gable far right

DSC00084.JPG
The road to the top of Kirkstone Pass, it gets quite busy during the summer.

then walked back to Red Screes and started the descent to Scandale Pass which was quite a drop. From the Pass we made the short pull up to Little Hart Crag which, from its summit gave good views over to Saint Sunday Crag, Dove Crag, High Pike and Low Pike as well as Froswick, Yoke and some of the Helvellyn range, we could see the whole of our little route from here as well, the day was bright with a bit of sunshine and a light breeze, so we decided to take our time.
DSC00085.JPG
On Little Hart Crag.

DSC00087.JPG
Views from Little Hart Crag, towards Brothers water and Hartsop

DSC00089.JPG
Towards Helvellyn.

DSC00090.JPG
Hart Crag.

DSC00092.JPG
Angle Tarn Pikes

From Little Hart Crag we walked to High Hartsop Dodd from which we added Hart Crag and a better view of Brothers Water and Helvellyn to the vista.
DSC00094.JPG
High Hartsop Dodd, Helvellyn behind, it's a great vantage point.

DSC00095.JPG
Brothers Water

We retraced our steps all the way back to Scandale Pass from High Hartsop Dodd
DSC00097.JPG
Step retracing- view to Little Hart Crag

and then took a raising traverse across the slopes of Red Screes towards the shallow coll between Red Screes and Middle Dodd. As we crested the slopes we could see the cairn on Middle Dodd, picked up the path coming down from Red Screes and made the short walk over to Middle Dodd where we sat down and had our lunch taking in the great views.
DSC00101.JPG
Middle Dodd

DSC00104.JPG
Lots of mountains

DSC00105.JPG
Nice serene views, settled weather and a feeling of space.

After lunch we headed for Red Screes for our third visit to the trig pillar ( I'd never been on this summit before, made up for it though today :lol: ) and from there we started our desent back to the car.
Although this was a short walk it got us up high and gave us some nice views. I guess if we'd gone further we would have done a lot more backtracking so the top of the Kirkstone Pass wouldn't be the best of start points, but for a quick outing, it's fine.
Crag Pano.jpg
Panorama views. Towards Hart crag

Lakeland Pano (Sony).jpg
Lakeland Pano

Pano of Lakeland hills.jpg
Wider View of Hart Crag and Helvellyn.

A good day out with some nice weather.
Last edited by martin.h on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: An enjoyable wander from the Kirkstone Pass Inn

Postby stig_nest » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Thanks for the report. I made Red Screes my last Wainwright of 2012, looks like you had better weather than me! - The wind coming over the nose of Middle Dodd were so fierce I was genuinely concerned I might get blown over the edge. Some lovely pics.
stig_nest
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland