walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Way out West (part two)

Way out West (part two)

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Green Crag, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scafell, Slight Side, Yewbarrow

Hewitts included on this walk: Red Pike (Wasdale), Scafell, Yewbarrow, Yewbarrow North Top

Date walked: 05/08/2014

Distance: 32.5 km

Ascent: 2490m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Green Crag, 5th August 2014, 8.5km 500m

Following yesterdays exertions in Ennerdale (see part one) we could have done with a rest day but with a weather front heading in on Tuesday afternoon/Wednesday morning we decided to squeeze in another fell. The pay off for the short walk to Green Crag was parking at the Woolpack Inn so we could enjoy a feed afterwards :D
Tuesday was a lovely morning and it was very warm heading up the idyllic peat road out of Eskdale.

ImageLooking back to Eskdale by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageOld Peat store house by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

After the initial climb we went a bit astray attempting to avoid some bog and made the ascent far harder then it should have been, as we ended crossing some rough pathless terrain.

ImageGreen Crag comes into view by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHarter Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking towards the heights of the Eskdale Horseshoe by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGreen Crag by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

By the time we reached the summit the cloud was increasing from the South so we had a short break before heading back in mildly moist conditions sticking to the path this time. The bog we avoided before turned out to be OK and we got back to the Woolpack before the rain started in earnest to enjoy some grub.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Rest day, 6th August 2014

Day spent wandering around Ambleside.

Scafell from Eskdale, 7th August 2014, 15km 1050m

We parked at Jubilee Bridge and set off past Brotherkield farm on a perfect morning. The initial walk up the dale is very pleasant following the river Esk while attempting to spot the Eskdale needle. Once Lingcove bridge is reached a short climb begins and the full delights of the Scafell range come into view with Ill Crag looking truly awesome and impregnable.

ImageBow Fell and the River Esk by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLingcove Bridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageIll Crag by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Once past the gorge that runs below Green Crag we arrived at the aptly named Great Moss and the search for a crossing point of the Esk was started. Strangely enough the driest part of Great Moss was right next to the river and after a bit of searching we splodged across a very shallow section opposite Sampsons Stones.

ImageGreen Crag by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageSome of the locals by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageScafell Pike and the River Esk by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Once across the river we made our way to Cam Spout and took on the entertaining scramble to the right of the falls. There is a path further over but why miss out on the fun? We had a snack at the top of the falls before proceeding towards Mickledoor on the excellent path.

ImageCam Spout and the Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageCam Spout by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking down the falls by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageThe Esk Buttress by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHow Beck by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageBroad Stand and Scafell Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageScafell Pike's south summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Thankfully the slog up the screes is not required on this route as you turn off up the obvious gully to the left to scramble simply up to the overgrown puddle that is known as Foxes Tarn. Another sharp pull up to col between Scafell and Symonds Knott and the hard work is just about done. Grace, Nicola and Hughie headed up to the main summit while I checked out the lower top to see the jumble of crags and pinnacles between England's two highest fells.

ImageFlying High! by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageView from Symonds Knott by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGreat Gable over Lingmell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

I joined the others on Scafell summit and we spent a while totally alone on the summit enjoying the views on this fine Lakeland day. In fact the closest other person we saw was the paraglyder who photobombed our family summit shot. :lol:

ImageScafell Summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageBurnmoor Tarn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageFamily Summit Shot by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageScafell View by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The walk along Long Green to Slight Side is a delight, easy going with superb views of Eskdale and it's magnificent mountains. Slight Side itself is a lovely top that looked silver plated in the afternoon sunshine.

ImageLooking towards Slight Side by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking down to upper Eskdale by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageThe Pikes of Scafell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageSlight Side Summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking back up Long Green by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

This walk had been a delight up to this point but the last section back to the car was a little wearisome. A rough descent from Slight Side was followed by a boggy dreary trudge towards Cat Crag. The OS map shows a path heading down the south side of Cat Crag gorge but it appeared to have disappeared due to lack of use. Given the sea of bracken I knew was on the lower slopes this was a concern but to our great relief we found a feint trail making it's way through.

ImageSight Side and Catcove Beck by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Once back down in Eskdale it was a simple walk back to the car to finish off what was an overwhelmingly great day. I'm so glad we climbed Scafell from Eskdale as visiting this wonderful valley should surely be part of every walkers Lake district list.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Yewbarrow and Red Pike, 8th August 2014, 9km 942m

One fell that got away on our Ennerdale adventure was Red Pike. We were less than a mile from the summit but another mile and a half added on to what was, by our standards, a very long day would have been pushing it just too far. The good side of this was we got to re-visit a past favourite in the dramatic shape of Yewbarrow. With bad weather due by mid afternoon it was an early start from Overbeck bridge.

ImageLooking back to the Screes by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageRed Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHigh on Yewbarrow's South west ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageYewbarrow Summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The ascent of Yewbarrow certainly involves a degree of scrambling making it very entertaining. There has been a small amount of stone pitching but this just enables the bypassing of some tiresome scree and doesn't effect the fun bits at all. By the time we reached the summit the Scafells had disappeared under low cloud so we pushed on quickly to the North top and Stirrup Crag.

ImageYewbarrow's South top from the North by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The scramble down Stirrup Crag is very precipitous and requires care and concentration but in truth it's still easier than it looks from below. By the time we reached the top of the Dore head screes the cloud was massing and we had some drizzle on the climb to a clag covered Red Pike.

ImageHughie and Grace on Red Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGloomy on Red Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We managed lunch on Red Pike summit without too much dampness before heading across the open fellside towards Low tarn. The going past the tarn was really quite rough through rocks and bracken but the main path was soon reached.

ImageLow Tarn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageFalls of Over Beck by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageWastwater by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We stuck to the lower path to avoid any re-ascent and made it back to the car just as the heavens opened with a torrential downpour.

All in all a very successful weeks bagging with some truly memorable walks to round off a great two weeks holiday.
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Way out West (part two)

Postby Ibex » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Even by your exceptional standards JKLL, these photo's are pretty exceptional.
3 great days of walking there. But cant believe you braved Hardknott pass twice in a few days. You must be mad!

I Have to do Scafell and Slight Side and up till now had planned to do it from Wasdale Head. But since seeing your walk report that has changed. Looks like an amazing route from the South, with Cam Spout on the way.

So jelous of you guys living so close to the mountains!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:23 am

Ibex wrote:Even by your exceptional standards JKLL, these photo's are pretty exceptional.
3 great days of walking there. But cant believe you braved Hardknott pass twice in a few days. You must be mad!

:lol: I've driven over Hardknott only once and I am in no hurry to do it again any time soon. We stayed near Egremont for the week making Eskdale nice and accessible.

ibex wrote:I Have to do Scafell and Slight Side and up till now had planned to do it from Wasdale Head. But since seeing your walk report that has changed. Looks like an amazing route from the South, with Cam Spout on the way.

It's a very fine route. Whisper it quietly but I've never been the biggest fan of Wasdale, not sure why :? Anyway the Scafells look like real mountains from upper Eskdale, a sight well worth seeing.

ibex wrote:
So jelous of you guys living so close to the mountains!

There has to be some pay off for living in the economic wasteland of the north :wink: :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby clivegrif » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:34 pm

Wonderful!

Terrific report and superb pictures, definitely making me want to tick off some more HEWITTs - thought I had made it past all that.... :lol:
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby Ibex » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:24 pm

I'd happily enter the economic wasteland that is the North, to be closer to the mountains.
The house prices are quite a lot more sensible up there too! In Oxfordshire we have the biggest deficit between average wage and average house price.
Its a nice place in the Country to live, but crazy expensive and flat as a witches tit.

If only I could convince my wife to leave her family and move there.

Never been to Eskdale, but from your photo's I would say you are right JKLL. The Scafell range looks majestic!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:07 am

clivegrif wrote:Wonderful!

Terrific report and superb pictures, definitely making me want to tick off some more HEWITTs - thought I had made it past all that.... :lol:

Surely completing the Lakes HEWITTs wouldn't hurt :wink: :lol:

Ibex wrote:I'd happily enter the economic wasteland that is the North, to be closer to the mountains.
The house prices are quite a lot more sensible up there too! In Oxfordshire we have the biggest deficit between average wage and average house price.
Its a nice place in the Country to live, but crazy expensive and flat as a witches tit.

If only I could convince my wife to leave her family and move there.

Never been to Eskdale, but from your photo's I would say you are right JKLL. The Scafell range looks majestic!

I'm sure Oxfordshire is a great place to live if you have plenty of money (and can afford a second home further north) but you won't ever catch me moving south, I'd probably get a nose bleed :lol:
The north east is a perfectly fine place to live, it has its very suspect areas but where doesn't? Your other option would be to edge over to the west to be nearer to Wales.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby simon-b » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:16 pm

A very wothwhile few days, Anthony. I agree, anyone who likes the Lakes should find time to visit the western valleys.

Ibex wrote:Never been to Eskdale, but from your photo's I would say you are right JKLL. The Scafell range looks majestic!

That's one of the impressive things about the Scafells compared with some other ranges and mountains: they look magnificent from both sides.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Ibex » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Agree with you about places all over the Country having there bad spots. I'm from Bristol originally, which is a nice City but it certainly has some not so nice areas. Little tip - Don't go drinking in the St Pauls area!

I am slowly going to bag the hills in South Wales and move my way Northward but my ideal place to live would be in the Lakes somewhere. The scenary makes me happy down to my soul, like nothing else in the World.

Started a new job today, where my shifts are 4 on 4 off, so hoping to make lots of little trips to the hills from now on. :)
Maybe one day or year more like, I will take a photo near as good as one of your worst ones.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:08 am

simon-b wrote:A very wothwhile few days, Anthony. I agree, anyone who likes the Lakes should find time to visit the western valleys.
That's one of the impressive things about the Scafells compared with some other ranges and mountains: they look magnificent from both sides.

Thanks Simon. The Scafells are greatly underrated by many outside of England. Largely because of trudging up Scafell Pike in the dark on the 3 peaks challenge No doubt.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:40 am

My experience so far is that the Scafells never look magnificent from anywhere - they're mostly either hiding under cloud while everything else is clear, or doing their best to look jumbly and insignificant while Great End and Bowfell stand out proudly at either side!

They obviously improve on closer acquaintance, though :)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:09 am

nigheandonn wrote:My experience so far is that the Scafells never look magnificent from anywhere - they're mostly either hiding under cloud while everything else is clear, or doing their best to look jumbly and insignificant while Great End and Bowfell stand out proudly at either side!

They obviously improve on closer acquaintance, though :)

All down to personal taste I suppose. Bowfell is indeed fine looking mountain but for me it doesn't have the presence of the Scafells or the pinnacles and buttresses in such number on just about all sides. For Me Great End is, along with Broad Crag, Ill Crag, Lingmell and Slight Side all part of the Scafells.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:36 am

Oh, your close up pictures are magnificent enough - I just find it odd how little impact the highest hills make from a distance. You'd think they'd stand out over everything - but instead it's odd attention seekers like Great Gable that do that.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:39 pm

nigheandonn wrote:Oh, your close up pictures are magnificent enough - I just find it odd how little impact the highest hills make from a distance. You'd think they'd stand out over everything - but instead it's odd attention seekers like Great Gable that do that.

I know what you mean, funnily enough the Scafells look superb from the Howgills on a clear day with very little else looking like much other than high ground.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Sarah86 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:50 pm

Part two is just as good as part one :) Looks like you had a great time away as usual.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Part two is just as good as part one :) Looks like you had a great time away as usual.

Thanks Sarah
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland