walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Magnificent Three in Moidart

The Magnificent Three in Moidart

Postby PeteR » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:36 pm

Route description: Rois-Bheinn round, Inverailort

Corbetts included on this walk: An Stac, Rois-Bheinn, Sgùrr na Ba Glaise

Date walked: 21/09/2014

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This had originally been Plan B for the weekend before, but laziness on my part had seen it relegated for something closer and easier.

But now it was definitely Plan A, B, C, etc……

I’d seen the route described in a handful of walk reports on WH, starting and finishing on the B road just off from Inverailort. I parked up in a drawing-me-in just into the minor road to Glen Shian. It really was a beautiful morning as I set off up the tarmac track that runs up to some cottages alongside the Inverailort House, if a little hazy.

At the cottages it’s a sharp left and then a long straight grass track through a couple of gates, signposted to Druim Fiaclach.
ImageP1110087 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

All was well with my world up to a couple of old outbuildings. It turns out they were built during World War II when the area was commandeered by the War Office as a training centre. What I apparently should have done here was follow the track (now faint) off to the left and then it would have curved from left to right round a thicket of trees and bracken. This I only discovered on my return of course :crazy: For now I headed in a line which was taken me in the direction I wanted to go……..just through a thicket of trees and bracken :lol:
ImageP1110089 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Eventually though I reacquainted myself with the track, which was now developing into a good path as it made its way up a very short incline and then headed into a sheltered basin of grass, trees and shrubbery. There is a short section over some rocks where the path became perhaps a little indistinct, but that was short lived. It was a bit overgrown too in places as it wound its way up and over to the Allt a’Bhuiridh.

Possibly the most unimpressive point of the walk greeted me here, as I was confronted with a nasty scar of a track :shock: :( Looks like pipes are being laid, but the resultant track that has been cut is hideous in what is a super spot……….an area of otherwise outstanding natural beauty hidden from civilisation, even though civilisation itself is less than 30 minutes away.
ImageP1110090 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Despite its ugliness the track did provide easy walking to the point where I dropped down to pick up a bridge over the Allt a’Bhuiridh . Views to the third Corbett of the day, An Stac, were opening up nicely here, although even at this close proximity I was seeing that the day was set to be hazy despite the blue, almost cloudless sky I was enjoy the whole day.
ImageP1110093 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110095 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110096 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Having crossed the bridge my Corbett guide suggested abandoning the landrover tracks early on and heading for the open hillside. I won’t lie. I found the pathless climb up onto Beinn Coire nan Gall painfu :wtf:
ImageP1110100 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Initially I had headed up an easier slope to my left, even though I was sure I was needing to go for a full frontal attack up a steep sided slope which would eventually bring me out just north of Beinn Coire nan Gall. I could probably have continued on my easier ground and given myself a big right handed loop to the same place, but in the end I decided to go full frontal. B*gger me, I toiled. Huffed and puffed, stopped and started. Repeated said huffing, puffing, stopping and starting at regular and irregular intervals until I got on to the ridge :shock: I found it a real pig of a slog to get up the side and onto the easier going of the ridge :shock:
ImageP1110113 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Eventually though the route was starting to open up as I gained height and the gradient eased :D It had all taken its toll though, as my legs felt pretty heavy for much of the rest of the day as a result :crazy:
ImageP1110118 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110119 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110123 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110125 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110128 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110134 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

But after a bit more of a climb (looked worse than it was) I was eventually on the summit of Druim Fiaclach - or should I say the former Corbett Druim Fiaclach. A super view point for the rest of the route, with the three Corbetts all in full view.

ImageP1110145 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110149 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110153 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Sadly the haze that persisted all day took away from the more distant views. It’s seems churlish, but that would be my only downer on the day…….the lack of extensive views due to the haze. It was sunny, warm and with little breeze, so I shouldn’t really be complaining………Oh, hang on. There was the plague of Deer Keds I was to suffer all day. A justifiable reason to complain I would suggest. I mean, what is their purpose in life……….other than to annoy the life out of me :lol:
ImageP1110156 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Deer Keds aside the walk from Druim Fiaclach across An t-Slat-bheinn to the first Corbett Sgurr na Ba Glaise was brilliant :D By now the route was benefiting from a path and so progress was much, much more pleasant. It was a super little stroll up and over the various lumps and bumps. As seems often to be the case in the hills there were some lovely high level lochans on this part of the route too, providing some great photo opportunities :D
ImageP1110167 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110172 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110184 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110190 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

I think anyone who has walked in this area, or toward say the rough bounds of Knoydart will appreciate that the hills in these parts don’t necessarily yield as easily as you might imaging. They’re hills of knobbles and bumps, rocks and lumps. They make you work for it, but if you persist the rewards are definitely worth it and easily outweigh any aching joints or muscles :D My Corbett guide suggested 5,300 feet of climbing for this route and I’d say that felt about right. Certainly by the time I was at the summit of Sgurr na Ba Glaise my legs knew I was on a walk :lol:
ImageP1110203 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110207 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

And I still had two more good climbs to go :lol:

Stunning views of Rois-Bheinn from the first Corbett, with the dry stone wall in view all the way to the top :D From the summit it’s an easy drop down to Bealach an Fhiona and the dry stone wall, which I followed all the way to the top of the second Corbett.
ImageP1110210 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110225 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110231 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Arriving at the Rois-bheinn summit cairn (a bit totie :lol: ) the western top just looked to me to be so much higher, even though I knew it wasn’t. And it had such a much bigger cairn atop it too. Well, I just had to go over and take a look, despite the unnecessary loss of height and climb back up (to be repeated on return) this entailed.
ImageP1110240 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

I’d also heard the views from the western top were worth the little bit of effort anyway. Sadly that old Devil called haze put paid to any such views for me, which was a bit of a shame. But hey-ho, you can’t have it all.
ImageP1110244 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110246 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110252 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110254 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

So now my attention was on Corbett number 3, An Stac.

It looked steep. Short, maybe….……but steep, definitely.
ImageP1110263 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110264 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Looking at it I wasn’t oozing enthusiasm either, as my legs were really feeling it by now. But it stood between me and my car, so there was nothing to do but get on with it. Up and over Rois-bheinn’s summit and then I followed the dry stone wall until it sort of fell to bits soon after arriving back near to Bealach na Fhiona. It was then a sharp left here down some steepish, rocky ground in the direction of another dry stone wall. The sort of terrain that could catch tired legs and body unaware if you’re not careful.
ImageP1110268 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110270 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110271 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Eventually the ground levelled off and I took a right over pathless ground and headed toward An Stac. My guide suggested picking my way up through the crags on grassy rakes. I’ve got to say, a hill that had looked awful steep from a distance became not too bad to climb actually, as I picked my way through the rocks :D Don’t get me wrong…….I was knac***d and my legs and knees and feet and toes were all sore. But this wasn’t the purgatory I had imagined it to be when viewing the hill from a distance.
ImageP1110279 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

It was on this climb that those pesky Keds really got my goat though. If they had been annoying before, well they were @$@!ing annoying now :evil: Lots of “toilet talk” was loudly uttered and would have been easily heard had anyone been in the vicinity as I impolitely asked them to go away :lol: (the Keds that is, not other people :lol:) They ignored me :lol:

It was probably at about this point in the day when the haze also subsided a little. Views out to sea on the climb up and at the summit seemed clearer (if only a little) from those I hadn’t really had on Rois-bheinn. And generally it seemed that views in all directions were a little clearer and crisper than they had been.
ImageP1110283 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110292 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110302 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110311 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110315 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

It’s a nice steep drop down off An Stac, but luckily there is a pretty good path picking a way through all the crags. I thought it looked impressive looking down at where I was heading :D
ImageP1110317 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

It also looked pretty good looking back up the way I’d come too :D
ImageP1110323 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110325 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

By the time I was heading down off An Stac all my drinks had been consumed, so I was now keen to find a burn somewhere to fill up at least one of my water bottles. Of course, having no fluids meant it played on my mind from that point onward until I was off the hill and eventually found a water source I was happy enough to drink :lol:

The final drop down to the land rover track was a bit chore. Pathless, lumpy terrain. The sort that seems to go on for longer than it should in my book. Once on the track it was then a fairly quick walk back to the car. Some nice views toward Loch Ailort toward the end, as I made my way back :D
ImageP1110330 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110333 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110337 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

All in all a great day out. Certainly a day when the legs know they’ve had a work out, that’s for sure. And it took a tad longer to do than I had planned too. Even with the extra time and effort required though and with the haze I had experience these are still three superb Corbetts. Anyone who thinks Corbetts are “girlie” hills, all I can say is come and give these three a try. They might give you a whipping……..hey, you might even enjoy it :D :D :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: The Magnificent Three in Moidart

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:48 am

I've been looking forward to these three, Pete...I think I still am :crazy: but, thanks for reinforcing my long-held view that I'll need to be hill-fit for them.

Won't be making our, now, usual week-long stay in the area this October but normal service resumed next year.

A good, stamina-sapping read :wink:
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Essan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:06 pm

Excellent report and some great photos despite the haze.

Druim Fiaclach is my favouritest ridge in all the world :thumbup:

btw the track and pipes are for a small "run of river" hydro scheme - one of many such small-scale schemes cropping up all over the Higlands these days. Overall I dont have a problem with them; the impact is minimal and the scars should heal relatively quickly. And Inverailort is a walker friendly estate :)
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Another great report Pete, enjoyed reading it :clap: :clap:

Totally agree about the Keds, bet I hate them more than you :lol: :lol: You are also correct what purpose do most insects serve - mainly food for bigger things :lol: I will continue to try & keep the population down by collecting them on the front of my car :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Some excellent pics, haze notwithstanding. Looks like it was a great day.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Another witty and informed TR there Peter.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:08 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:I've been looking forward to these three, Pete...I think I still am :crazy: but, thanks for reinforcing my long-held view that I'll need to be hill-fit for them.

Won't be making our, now, usual week-long stay in the area this October but normal service resumed next year.

A good, stamina-sapping read :wink:

Thanks BV.

I think it's the pathless climb up on to the ridge that's the killer. Once on the ridge it really is a great walk. Hopefully if you get up to the Highlands next year you'll get over to Moidart and enjoy these three. They are great hills :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:10 pm

Essan wrote:Excellent report and some great photos despite the haze.

Druim Fiaclach is my favouritest ridge in all the world :thumbup:

btw the track and pipes are for a small "run of river" hydro scheme - one of many such small-scale schemes cropping up all over the Higlands these days. Overall I dont have a problem with them; the impact is minimal and the scars should heal relatively quickly. And Inverailort is a walker friendly estate :)

Thanks Essan

And thanks for the info on the pipeline. Hopefully the scar will heal. It was a bit of a shocker to come across it initially. I do ohave to say that Once on the ridge the works didn't detract in any way from the joy that is this circuit :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:12 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Another great report Pete, enjoyed reading it :clap: :clap:

Totally agree about the Keds, bet I hate them more than you :lol: :lol: You are also correct what purpose do most insects serve - mainly food for bigger things :lol: I will continue to try & keep the population down by collecting them on the front of my car :lol: :lol:

Thanks Martin.

I'll have to disagree though.......I think I hate Keds more than you :lol: They really can take the gloss of your day when they fly all round you and then you feel the blighters crawling all over you. Thankfully they're not in my photos, so I can look back at a great day without them ruining the photos too
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:14 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Some excellent pics, haze notwithstanding. Looks like it was a great day.

Thanks Alteknacker. It certainly was a great day. Three good hills these :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:16 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Another witty and informed TR there Peter.

Thanks Willie. Work's prevented me doing many reports this last year, but there have been some walks worthy of taking the time to put some memories down. I'd say this circuit was definitely one of them :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Cráicing hills ..good report :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:14 pm

Great stuff Pete. This is one of my favourite walks, the views out to sea are stunning. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Silverhill » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:02 pm

That sounded like a long and tough walk! :clap: I do like the hazy pictures!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland