walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach

Aonach Eagach

Postby neilist » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:34 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 28/06/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thought I would use my first post on Walk Highlands for a quick trip report on the Aonach Eagach. Had been wanting to do this route for a while but was holding back until I had more experience in the mountains. My mate finally called my bluff with a text that promoted a frisson of excitement and fear in me. Do you want to do the Aonach Eagach on Saturday? How could I say no? Tried very hard not to over think the night before (with mixed results) so I could get a half decent kip. My mate Ralph picked me up at 7am and we headed up to one of my favourite places to be - Glencoe.
When we arrived at the carpark I was feeling relatively calm and eager to go for it. So we headed up towards Am Bodach.
AE-resize1.gif
Heading towards Am Bodach with Bidean behind

From Am Bodach there is a steep descent, didnt find it too bad, just took my time and concentrated.
AE-resize2.gif
Other walkers descending Am Bodach

Then onto the first Munro Meall Dearg. Was really enjoying this. Of course ahead was the 'Crazy Pinnacles'.
AE-resize3.gif
The pinnacles ahead

From here on until the bealach below Sgorr nam Fiannaidh is a blur. Sustained scrambling and some exposure, but hugely enjoyable and not as hard or scary as I feared. Take your time, concentrate, stick to the crest and there is much fun to be had. Of course the ridge is pretty exposed at times and I wouldnt attempt it in wet and windy weather, but most of my worrying beforehand was a waste of mental energy. Caution and care are needed and everyone has different tolerance levels. Not to be taken lightly and for those with some experience, as we know tragedy can strike here, but personally I found it easier than expected. Onto the second Munro Sgorr nam Fiannaidh. Stunning views all around. Fantastic. What wasnt so good was the descent. Rather than the long walk back from Glencoe village we descended from the bealach below Sgorr nam Fiannaidh , a stupid idea and a bad decision on my part. What looked like a path turned into dodgy scree, deep gullies and high bracken. Not recommended. An experience, but not one I want to repeat. I think going back along the ridge the opposite way (as we seen one group doing) would be my choice of route if I do the ridge again, or down the Pap path. Anyway, Glencoe never fails to inspire and I will be back. A few more pics.
AE-resize4.gif
People on the ridge

AE-resize5.gif
Chimney

AE-resize6.gif
Narrow part

AE-resize7.gif
Concentrate here

AE-resize8.gif
Queue for one of the pinnacles

AE-resize9.gif
Scramble

AE-resize10.gif
Photo op

AE-resize11.gif
Another chimney

AE-resize12.gif
The ridge completed

AE-resize13.gif
Loch Leven and Ardgour

AE-resize14.gif
Pap of Glencoe

AE-resize15.gif
On summit of Sgorr nam Fiannaidh
neilist

Munros:135   Corbetts:16
Fionas:10   

Re: Aonach Eagach

Postby J888ohn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:29 pm

I'm 100 munros in and still have the fear of this route. Every year I say I'll do it but never have the guts / crazy enough climbing buddies to try it. Have you done the Forcan Ridge, CMD arete or RIng of Steall? If so how does it compare to these? Great pics by the way. :clap:
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby JimboJim » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:18 pm

Enjoyed and agree with your report, Neil. Great pics too. Always look better with a few folk in them now and again, I think. Cheers.
Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:56 pm

Smashing pics :clap: :clap: :clap: - you had a great day for it. One of the great things about this route are the unparalleled views you get of Glencoe and the surrounding hills.

I would absolutely agree with your assessment of it: it's not that bad is a) exposure doesn't faze you too much; and b) you take your time if you're in doubt.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby neilist » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:21 am

J888ohn wrote:I'm 100 munros in and still have the fear of this route. Every year I say I'll do it but never have the guts / crazy enough climbing buddies to try it. Have you done the Forcan Ridge, CMD arete or RIng of Steall? If so how does it compare to these? Great pics by the way. :clap:

Hi John, I have done the CMD arete and the Ring of Steall. I would say the Aonach Eagach is a step up from these in terms of sustained scrambling, and a bit more exposure, although I remember one small bit on the CMD arete that gave me a slight wobble due to exposure. But in all honesty the AE was very much easier than expected. Think I had read and thought too much about it beforehand. If you can handle a bit of exposure and enjoy a good scramble you will love it. I would keep it for a good weather day though. You have done 100 munros so I think you could well handle it and would probably be the same as myself, ie realising you didnt need to be so fearful and loving every minute of it. Go for it and have fun.
neilist

Postby neilist » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:22 am

JimboJim wrote:Enjoyed and agree with your report, Neil. Great pics too. Always look better with a few folk in them now and again, I think. Cheers.
Jimmy

Cheers Jimmy
neilist

Postby neilist » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:26 am

Alteknacker wrote:Smashing pics :clap: :clap: :clap: - you had a great day for it. One of the great things about this route are the unparalleled views you get of Glencoe and the surrounding hills.

I would absolutely agree with your assessment of it: it's not that bad is a) exposure doesn't faze you too much; and b) you take your time if you're in doubt.

Hi Alteknacker, totally agree about the unparalleled views of Glencoe and the surrounding hills. Amazing. Yeah take your time and its a brilliant route.
Cheers
neilist

Postby jepsonscotland » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Great job, well done. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cracking photos too! :shock:
Really wets the appetite.............................
Cheers
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Silverhill » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:22 pm

Well done and congratulations :clap: ! Fantastic that it was not as hard/ scary as you expected and you were able to enjoy it. Great report and I love the detailed pictures with accompanying comments :D . Very useful for when I try the ridge. Not sure when exactly though. Am still putting it off …. :lol:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Jock McJock » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:23 pm

Nice report. It's walk I'll never forget and that I'll be back to do again one day. Loved every minute of it except the descent! Sounds like you may have went the same way that we did. But I blame my mate Jim, he insisted he knew the way down. I don't think he did! :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:50 pm

Really enjoyed your report and photos. It's great to see people going up and down the pinnacles as one gets a feel for the scale of the scrambles! Your enjoyment really shines through.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland