walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Loch unvisited

Loch Loch unvisited

Postby weedavie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:35 am

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 10/09/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1000m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've posted an ecological Pentlands walk and that gave me ambitions to do an ecological Munro. Beinn a'Ghlo was the obvious choice, easiest from Edinburgh onywise. I was going to borrow a folding bike and do it by bus. But the first bus reaches Blair at 11 which is too late. That's outrageous. I'm a pensioner. I died at Gallipoli for you. I should get everything for free.

ath1.jpg
I calmed down and used my old person's discount on the train. This late in the year it was dark cycling up to Waverley but, hey, it's fantastic seeing sunrise as you cross the bridge. The other bikes on the train belonged to Japanese and Spanish people heading for Orkney. Most strange and disturbing. Myself, just after ten to nine I was on the platform at Blair Atholl. My train back was at 5.20 so I'd eight and a half hours which seemed plenty.

It's only about 11 miles up Glen Tilt to the bridge I was going to use to access Loch Loch but this actually took me 90 minutes which was a bit poor.
ath2.jpg
The way back
The sun was shining on my intended descent route, the edge of an odd ravine down from Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain,. I crossed the bridge and headed along a path that wandered up and down the steep side of the river. It was decent enough but just not as fast as I'd anticipated. The visit to the ultimate loch wasn't on. So I climbed to the ridge.

ath3.jpg
Tarf goes left at second bend
Looking east, I could see the bend where the Tilt becomes the Tarf. Great place with a fine little Victorian suspension bridge and a glimpse of the falls. I know someone who considers you're not a Scottish walker until you've forded the Tarf and it's a persuasive point of view.

ath4.jpg
Up on the ridge I nearly tripped over a buzzard sitting on the ground at 750 metres. I at least got a snap of Loch Loch. Prosaically, it just means dark loch but you see it on the map and you've just got to go. I've reached it from the south but I'd still like to walk Glen Loch.

Coming this way I'd only to cross the stony top of Carn nan Gabhar once. It's a bit of a pain. I once was up here with a non-Munro mate who refused to come beyond the second cairn because it was a painful waste of time. It's one hill that's faster in winter when snow covers the rubble.

ath5.jpg
From the top
On to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, and then my descent to the bike.
ath6.jpg
The ridge down
It's a nice way down, quite easy on the knees, though I pitched full-length on the only short stony section.
ath7.jpg
Wee ravine
The ravine's neat but not spectacular. It'd be an interesting way up.

I got to the bike at 3.45 and ran easily down to Blair. On the way I talked to an english cyclist. He was one of a party that had cycled Aviemore Tomintoul Braemar and were now heading for Blair. Now that's ecological and putting money into the community.

With more than half an hour in hand, I picked up a kilo of stone ground flour from the watermill and a pint or so of Moulin ale at the Atholl Arms.
ath8.jpg
And so to the station. Ecological? I'm not just huggin' the tree, I've got my hand in its blouse.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

weedavie
Mountain Walker

Re: Loch Loch unvisited

Postby larry groo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Good stuff....

A grand day for it too!

:clap:
larry groo

Postby basscadet » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:58 pm

Aye, its a braw mountain, and I liked your route. If you can go a bike, its brilliant. Shame about my co-ordination issues! :lol:
I camped at Loch Loch when I did these hills, walking through to Braemar... It was memorable for the worst midges I have ever seen, literally suffocating clouds.. maybe better to leave that place unvisited in my opinion :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby weedavie » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:15 am

basscadet wrote:Aye, its a braw mountain, and I liked your route. If you can go a bike, its brilliant. Shame about my co-ordination issues! :lol:
I camped at Loch Loch when I did these hills, walking through to Braemar... It was memorable for the worst midges I have ever seen, literally suffocating clouds.. maybe better to leave that place unvisited in my opinion :wink:

Anyone who can dangle off the Buchaille in a fashion that makes me extremely uneasy should be ok on a bike...I'm interested in literally suffocating - you're posting from beyond?
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby basscadet » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:16 am

Yes you would think that a bike would not be beyond me, and yet i canny ride a mile without hurting myself in some way it seems.. :lol:
As for the Loch Loch midges, managed to outsmart them with a buff until i got the tent up. Still no amount of deet could stop them from biting.. Couldnt open the door of my tent to cook dinner, so spent the evening with rumbly belly, swotting midges :(
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby CharlesT » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:35 am

basscadet wrote:Yes you would think that a bike would not be beyond me, and yet i canny ride a mile without hurting myself in some way it seems.. :lol:
As for the Loch Loch midges, managed to outsmart them with a buff until i got the tent up. Still no amount of deet could stop them from biting.. Couldnt open the door of my tent to cook dinner, so spent the evening with rumbly belly, swotting midges :(

Ha! Bikes are meant to hurt - it's a form of ritualistic self-flagellation I indulge in all too often (cycling that is not flagellation :lol: ). Like climbing frightening routes it's delayed gratification (so they say :? ).

As for the midges and the rumbly tum I have an idea. :wink: Some time ago I saw a TV film of a location in Africa where they have an annual hatch of trillions of flies and being short of protein the young lads catch them in nets. They are then made into crunchy patties, cooked and eaten thus remedying the protein shortage. Eat a midge (or a million) could be the new eco solution. :lol:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby basscadet » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:02 pm

CharlesT wrote:Some time ago I saw a TV film of a location in Africa where they have an annual hatch of trillions of flies and being short of protein the young lads catch them in nets. They are then made into crunchy patties, cooked and eaten thus remedying the protein shortage. Eat a midge (or a million) could be the new eco solution. :lol:

Isn't that called an Eccles cake :lol:

Quite often enjoy a few midges in my cuppa - It just isn't summer without your tea containing a blade of grass and a couple of insects :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby malky_c » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:14 pm

This looks like a great variation on the more usual route - some nice ridges dropping down into Glen Tilt. I once visited the trio by train and bike, but went the less imaginative normal way (and got a puncture on the way back to Blair, delaying me by a train).

For someone who claimed to be allergic to cameras in a previous report, you seem to have come up with some rather nice shots - not always easy when there's that much haze around.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby weedavie » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:49 pm

malky_c wrote:This looks like a great variation on the more usual route - some nice ridges dropping down into Glen Tilt. I once visited the trio by train and bike, but went the less imaginative normal way (and got a puncture on the way back to Blair, delaying me by a train).

For someone who claimed to be allergic to cameras in a previous report, you seem to have come up with some rather nice shots - not always easy when there's that much haze around.

What can I say? I call myself a vegetarian but I've been known to hit a white pudding supper and I'm pro-fox hunting. I never carry a camera in company but I wanted piccies of the route.. Hypocrite - there, I knew I'd find a word.

Actually I was thinking of your account of Tilt to Feshie when I was commenting on fording the Tarf - I've only got as far as Bhreac (though more often than makes sense.)
weedavie
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland