walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Postby Wanderlust » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:53 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 02/04/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After all of the snow that fell last week, the forecast for Friday was good. I had stayed for a few days at SYHA Crianlarich, but today was moving on to the Braveheart Backpacker's Hostel in Killin.

The road to the Ben Lawers visitor centre was not passable, so I parked my car lower down in the forest then walked the rest of the way up. It was around 11 o'clock when I started the walk in earnest, the views were very clear - could see Beinn Ghlas right in front of me and Meall nan Tarmachan to the left with Meall Corranhaich in between.

Meall nan Tarmachan

me and Beinn Ghlas

It was a steady ascent to the bealach between Meall Corranhaich and Beinn Ghlas, I saw a chap below us plodding up on skis!

Around the back of Beinn Ghlas it was quite icy and it was time to crampon-up for the traverse to the bealach below Ben Lawers, it was a good view down towards Glen Lyon and I got my first view of the top of Ben Lawers. Also a nice view back to Meall Corranhaich.

Glen Lyon

Meall Corranhaich

Traverse to bealach between Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Ben Lawers from the bealach (notice the man on the skis!)

The visiblity was excellent, but there were patches of cloud that would soon pass over and I had a good view of Beinn Ghlas on the ascent of Ben Lawers.

Beinn Ghlas

Made it to the top and the views were extensive, particularly to the north, where it looked like it was clear on all of the summits.

view from Ben Lawers

me on Ben Lawers summit

Stayed for a while on the summit, taking in the views, the wind was very cold though. The man on the skis was up there at the same time as me and I looked on in amazement as he ski'd back down towards the bealach! he said was going to ski down off Beinn Ghlas aswell.

I set off on foot for summit of Beinn Ghlas, enjoying the ridge walk and the surrounding views.

Meall nan Tarmachan

Loch Tay

ascending Beinn Ghlas

Ben Lawers

From Beinn Ghlas it was a straight-forward descent down to the path that I'd followed on the way up from the Visitor centre.
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Re: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Postby Graeme D » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Nice report Wanderlust. I was out at the same time on the other side of Loch Tay. Wasn't it a brilliant day until the cloud rolled in from the west in the mid-afternoon? It's always nice to see a report of what you were looking at while the author of the report was looking at where you were at the same time! Try as I might though, I can't quite pick myself out on either the Shee of Ardtalnaig or Creagan na Beinne. :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby bazer100 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:21 pm

nice report, particulary like the picture from the top of ben lawers , the view looks amazing, done these 2 a great number of years ago, however seeing your trip gives me the bug to do them again, exellent, thanks for sharing

baz
bazer100
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Those 2 look great in snow! Some super pics there :D I'm always amazed at the steepness of where people will ski - it's usually where I'm picking my way very carefully across the hard-frozen snow in my crampons (I'm not very confident going downhill in them yet :lol: )
mountain coward

Postby monty » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:02 am

What a great set of pictures. Looks like it was warm at the start with you in shirt sleeve order? I love picture no 10 looking out from Ben Lawers. :D Its nice to get some sunshine on your back :lol:
monty

Postby walk aboot » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Nice report wanderlust...pink snow (first two photos)? :lol: 8) :lol:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby Wanderlust » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:01 pm

walk aboot wrote:pink snow (first two photos)? :lol: 8) :lol:

ha, I noticed that effect on a few of my photos - must have been a bit too bright for my camera
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Postby IainG » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:13 am

Wanderlust wrote:
walk aboot wrote:pink snow (first two photos)? :lol: 8) :lol:

ha, I noticed that effect on a few of my photos - must have been a bit too bright for my camera

If it's a Sony Cybershot then be prepared for your next purchase!!!
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland