walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

From the sublime to the ridiculous

From the sublime to the ridiculous

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blencathra, Mungrisdale Common

Hewitts included on this walk: Blencathra

Date walked: 15/06/2014

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 900m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've several reports to catch up with so it's back to a typical June day with plenty of cloud for the bagging of the less than dramatic Mungrisedale Common.
In order to make things a bit more palatable we included the wonderful Blencathra via the very fine Halls Fell ridge. I'm not sure if this is the finest way up a fell in the district, as AW claimed, but it's certainly great fun once the initial slog up the lower slopes is over with.

ImageHigh Rigg by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGaining height by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHughie by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageOnto the fun bits by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageWaiting around by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGrace and Nicola on the Ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHughie and Grace by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Following lunch we had a little look at Sharp Edge before heading off the back of the hill towards Mungrisedale Common. This, although certainly not a fell, turned out to be better than expected. It's a very peaceful place and I can imagine some folk who loved to come here were very upset when it got included in the book all those years ago.
Our way back to the car was a nice walk, not exciting, but very pleasant.

ImageSharp Edge and Scales Tarn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageMungrisedale Common by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageMates on the "Summit" by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGreat Calva by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

This is a canny route and a good way of including one of the Lakes least heralded fells.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: From the sublime to the ridiculous

Postby Ibex » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:20 pm

I've heard tales of Mungrisdale Common's dullness.
At least you got a lovely walk up Blencathra. Nice photo's as usual.

Was expecting Grace to look a lot more 'teenagery' on the summit of Mungrisdale Common.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby simon-b » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:16 pm

That's a great way up Blencathra, Anthony. In the picture of Grace holding Hughie on the summit, his lead looks like a climbing rope supporting someone scaling the south face of the mountain. I agree Mungrisdale Common isn't so bad, but many wonder why it should have been included by AW as a separate fell. Earlier this year I climbed it via Sinen Gill which was an interesting route; perhaps you remember my photo of Lonscale Pike from there which you correctly identified in "Where's the picture?"
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:54 am

Ibex wrote:I've heard tales of Mungrisdale Common's dullness.
At least you got a lovely walk up Blencathra. Nice photo's as usual.

Was expecting Grace to look a lot more 'teenagery' on the summit of Mungrisdale Common.

She might not look too teenagerey but she certainly acts it on occasion :lol:

simon-b wrote:That's a great way up Blencathra, Anthony. In the picture of Grace holding Hughie on the summit, his lead looks like a climbing rope supporting someone scaling the south face of the mountain. I agree Mungrisdale Common isn't so bad, but many wonder why it should have been included by AW as a separate fell. Earlier this year I climbed it via Sinen Gill which was an interesting route; perhaps you remember my photo of Lonscale Pike from there which you correctly identified in "Where's the picture?"

I think Mungrisedale was definitely filler for the quite sparse Northern fells volume. That said I still enjoyed it as I have every one of the fells in this book (still have two to do). The valley between Blencathera and Lonscale Fell is lovely and a very pleasant place.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland