walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Birthday Treat on Beinn Mholach

Birthday Treat on Beinn Mholach

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mholach

Date walked: 12/09/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 877m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today was my birthday, so took a wee days annual leave and decided to walk. Baldfalcon was also off so he decided to join me on this walk. We started the walk at 10am from Dalnaspidal Lodge just off the A9.
bm1.jpg
Starting point

There is parking space for a few vehicles just before the railway crossing. We decided to take the bikes on this one as I was a day older and was feeling it.
bm2.jpg
the Railway

Crossed over the railway line and then took the first right and followed the track until a padlocked gate at the bridge.
bm3.jpg
1st bridge

bm4.jpg

bm5.jpg

Stevie lifted the bikes over the gate and we crossed over the bridge and continued along the track and not long before we were crossing a second bridge.
bm6.jpg
2nd bridge

We soon reached Loch Garry on our left hand side and continued along the track, passing the pumping station.
bm7.jpg
Loch Garry

bm11.jpg
Pumping station

bm15.jpg
Meall na Leitreach

About 1km after the pumping station the track ends, just at the point where a small waterfall appears on the right. We continued with the bikes for a short section over grassy and boggy ground, but soon realised that we would have been better leaving the bikes where the track ends at the waterfall.
bm16.jpg
wee waterfall

We left the bikes and continued below Meall Doire and skirting around it heading south and then crossed the bridge over the Allt Shallainn.
bm17.jpg
bridge over allt Shallainn

bm19.jpg

From here we picked up a good track again and followed this south east down towards Dunish Bothy where we stopped off for a wee nosey. Just before the bothy, on the track theres a tiny cairn on the right hand side marking the start of the walk up the Corbett.
bm20.jpg
Duinish Bothy

After visiting the bothy, we headed back up to find this cairn, which we missed on the way down to the bothy.
bm21.jpg
inside the bothy

Once passed the cairn a track leads off west and a stalkers path heads slightly southwest. We followed the stalkers path which after a short distance meets up with the track.
bm23.jpg
cairn marking the path up the corbett

We continued West towards Creag nan Gabhar where is flattens off and from here the huge cairn on the summit appeared miles and miles away.
bm24.jpg
Creag nan Gabhar

bm26.jpg
summit in the distance

We headed south west over some peaty boggy ground up to the summit of Beinn Mholach.
bm28.jpg
summit

bm29.jpg
summit

We must have sat here for over half an hour. It was a cracking day, sunny with no winds at all. Each time Stevie went into his rucksack I was waiting in anticipation for my birthday tipple ! First time…. I thought champers…. NO……. Second time….. ok Wine……. NO…….. Third time…. Ill take Mad Dog….. no nought…… So that was the birthday surprise…. Zilch……. :( I would walk with an east coaster :lol:

We headed back the same route we came up.
bm30.jpg
looking back

Coming off the summit we were covered in some kind of flies which looked like huge ticks – where one even woke me up the following morning coming out of my ear. Arrrgggghhhhhhh.
bm31.jpg
looking back towards Stevie in the distance :)

bm33.jpg
loch garry

bm35.jpg
whits keeping you ? too much alcohol at the summit :)

We picked up the bikes and back to the car in 5 hours. A cracking day with good company
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Birthday Treat on Beinn Mholach

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:34 pm

Good stuff Theresa. Happy 50th :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Silverhill » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:33 pm

Belated happy birthday! I like the pictures with the haze, but am glad that the day got brighter later on for you. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby dooterbang » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Did you get to rename that station for your birthday :wink:

Happy belated birthday old yin :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good stuff Theresa. Happy 50th :thumbup:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Silverhill wrote:Belated happy birthday! I like the pictures with the haze, but am glad that the day got brighter later on for you. :D

cheers Silverhill

dooterbang wrote:Did you get to rename that station for your birthday :wink:

Happy belated birthday old yin :D

cheers aulder yin :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:37 pm

Belated Birthday wishes, hope to see you on a hill sometime! :D at least you managed to have a good look into the bothy when I was there e place was surrounded by cows, do I gave it a swerve after my earlier encounter :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:28 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Belated Birthday wishes, hope to see you on a hill sometime! :D at least you managed to have a good look into the bothy when I was there e place was surrounded by cows, do I gave it a swerve after my earlier encounter :crazy:

Garbh Bheinn Ardgour this sunday if youre free RM ??
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:26 am

mountain thyme wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Belated Birthday wishes, hope to see you on a hill sometime! :D at least you managed to have a good look into the bothy when I was there e place was surrounded by cows, do I gave it a swerve after my earlier encounter :crazy:

Wow that would have been wonderful, did a couple of Corbetts around there a few weeks ago, brilliant area. I've already cancelled a club meet this weekend due to family commitments, a great shame, would have loved to do that one. You have a great day, hope the weather is kind to you all, Enjoy! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:47 pm

Jings, 50 :shock: and there was me thinking you didn't look a day over 30 :wink:
Good way to celebrate even if there was no surprise at the end - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:52 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
mountain thyme wrote:

Wow that would have been wonderful, did a couple of Corbetts around there a few weeks ago, brilliant area. I've already cancelled a club meet this weekend due to family commitments, a great shame, would have loved to do that one. You have a great day, hope the weather is kind to you all, Enjoy! :D

No worries RM, another time :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:54 pm

rockhopper wrote:
Jings, 50 :shock: and there was me thinking you didn't look a day over 30 :wink:
Good way to celebrate even if there was no surprise at the end - cheers :)

Hahaha Don't take Johnny Corbett on RH, im no where near 50 :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland