walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hated this Mountain!

Hated this Mountain!

Postby Handknittedbagger » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:22 pm

Route description: Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh and An Stùc

Munros included on this walk: Meall Greigh

Date walked: 09/10/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 9.8 km

Ascent: 1000m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Initially set out to climb the "Glen Lyon 4", however after parking and getting set in the car park at Invervar with Susan and our dog, Bo, an arrogant and ignorant fellow pulled up in a Range Rover to inform us the he had 'men on the hill' deer stalking and we would not be able to climb. He advised that there were plenty of other hills to climb such as Ben Lawers and Schiehallion. Unsure of our rights in relation to climbing the hill anyway, we gave in to him and decided to go back down to the Ben Lawers Hotel and climb the three Munros, we had failed to conquer whilst climbing Ben Lawers a few weeks ago.
The drive back down meant that we set out a lot later then we would usually do, however, the weather was ok although it was obvious that all the summits were in cloud and the views were going to be restricted.
We were using Viewranger, as always, with a route purchased from Walkhighlands, however, although were were able to follow the route using the GPS the path disappeared not long into the route and we found ourselves climbing across grassed slopes and merely heading towards the top, with no path visible.
We both found the climb boring and hard and it took us longer than we would usually take to summit a mountain of this size. Once on the summit, we could see little and the route to the next summit looked long and hard and as a result we decided to settle for the one summit and the one Munro and set of back down the mountain.
It s another one crossed off the list, but would not return to this hill and will summit the other two in the group another day, over the Ben Lawers route.
Handknittedbagger
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   

Re: Hated this Mountain!

Postby Sgurr » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:26 pm

You are not the only one to have been turned away in Glen yLon

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/vi ... te#p236415
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:45 am

Handknittedbagger wrote:an arrogant and ignorant fellow pulled up in a Range Rover to inform us the he had 'men on the hill' deer stalking and we would not be able to climb. He advised that there were plenty of other hills to climb such as Ben Lawers and Schiehallion.

Sounds like a polite and helpful fellow...

Handknittedbagger wrote: Unsure of our rights in relation to climbing the hill anyway

Any thoughts as to your responsibilities? Deer stalking is part of the local life; employment, economy and culture. Farm animals cannot cope with the extreme conditions, deer are the way to get a harvest from the land. When bullets are flying it is best to be elsewhere. I was up Glen Lyon last week, I saw some folk heading off into the hills with rifles, and others with a dead stag. I gave and got cheery waves, a nice lass held a gate open for my car and I stayed off the hills where stalking was happening. So you didn't get what you wanted when you wanted it. Don't behave like a spoiled brat, others have business in these places; be grateful you get to go there at all.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby wjshaw2 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:25 pm

Meall Greigh in the mist is a bit of a slog whether planned or not, the other two Munros have more about them.

I don't think you're being a spoiled brat. You still have the right to go ahead with your walk, but if you've been requested not to, then it would be unfriendly on your part. I still think that they should be polite when asking you not to go into the hills when there's hunting going on.

The hills I was on yesterday had shooting going on, but they didn't use the Heading for the Scottish Hills website to say where they were going. I don't know if Glen Lyon is any more proactive in helping people choose a route without stalking.
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:64
Fionas:65   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:164   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:15   

Postby baggervance » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:58 pm

Handknit

Check the Walkhighlands website before you walk, it is normally pretty handy for information on stalking. Some areas don't stalk on a Sunday (I think the deer are in church) which leaves the hills free :D :D

BV
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby tommyatr » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Turned up to do this circuit today,forgot to check before leaving regarding stalking :crazy:

Decided to wing it as had no plan B,saw or heard nothing on hill all day.

Sometimes I think they just put the signs up and don't bother going out.
tommyatr
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:47 pm

tommyatr wrote:Turned up to do this circuit today,forgot to check before leaving regarding stalking :crazy:
Decided to wing it as had no plan B,saw or heard nothing on hill all day. Sometimes I think they just put the signs up and don't bother going out.

Are we going to get a walk report Tommy :wink: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby tommyatr » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Maybe
But with less emoticons than some :wink:
tommyatr
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Not all estates behave this way - it is possible to accommodate both walking and stalking and some estates are very gracious with finding solutions which fit both groups.

This particular estate has a poor reputation with hill walkers but I'm not sure if that's because they are short sighted or because it is in the central Highlands and therefore attracts a lot of walkers :shock: :shock:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland