walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

CWT just thinking

CWT just thinking

Postby innkeeper » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Route description: Cape Wrath Trail

Date walked: 10/10/2014

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just in the very and I mean very early part of thinking about this route. So a few questions if you dont mind.
Remember looking at this years ago ( Its what first bought us to Sutherland) So any way just before I get the maps out. Do think it would be possible to start finish each day at a road head. I ask for 2 reasons 1 only really get time off in the winter and with it mainly being in the winter that I try this, not fussy on camping and 2 think I am getting a bit long in the tooth for camping. So pick up and drop of by car each day.
Out line of plan, The route would get done in sections one or two parts a week (no time limits) the sections would not be in any order.
So my plan would be aim for about 15 miles max 20 miles per day pick up and drop of by car. Know this means not going the Knoydart way.
So any Ideas on parts I may struggle on keeping to the plan
When I say winter mean out of tourist season Also It just to do it even if it takes years
Hope you get what I mean
innkeeper
Ambler

Re: CWT just thinking

Postby Sgurr » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:42 pm

We met a guy doing exactly this. I think he hired two cottages, one in Invergarry and the other further north, and then went on to B & B, and his long-suffering wife picked him up each evening and dropped him again the next day. However, I think he factored in a few rest days to allow for stinking weather. Goodness knows what route he was taking, since we met him near Loch Achall, just north of Ullapool, and he hoped to get to Oykel Bridge by the evening. The dog seemed to be enjoying it too.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby innkeeper » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:52 pm

Sounds like what I wont to do. In fact when I first look at the CWT years ago the planning got as far as us booking a holiday cottage for a week. The cottage was up by Durness and is how we feel in love with Sutherland. My plan just needs the trail to be crossed by a road every 15 to 20 miles for drop off and pick up.
also wont be doing it A To B so to speak. Might one day do a bit by say Ullapool the next time am out might be round Fort William. But in the end would have done the whole trail.
Thanks for getting back and now I know it can be done will start looking
Might take my dog :D
innkeeper
Ambler

Postby Old Stag » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:29 am

Three areas maybe could cause you problems.

1. The final section from Blairmore to the road toward Durness. I don't know if you have done this section to Sandwood Bay to the Cape before, but after the Strathchailleach river, things get boggy and despite the short distance in miles it takes a long while. However your main problem with this section is that the minibus service from the lighthouse to Keodale, and the ferry will be off during winter and you will have to walk all the way round to the road near Keodale.
One way around this would be to spend a night at Kervaig bothy which is two hours east from the lighthouse.

2. Kinlochewe to Corrie Hallie near Dundonnell. A long tramp, would be more than I could do on a winter's day, you could stay a night at Shenavall bothy though outside of stalking season.

3. Oykel Bridge to Inchnadamph. The estate that own the upper part of the Oykel (Ben More estate I think) have put in a Cape Wrath Trail diversion where the Oykel meets Allt Rugaidh Mhor. It takes you up through boggy mess to an old forest track and justs adds a bit more onto your day. You could split this into two days I suppose by turning left when you reach Loch Ailsh and following the private road to the A837 and get picked up there.

Good luck!
Old Stag

Postby innkeeper » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:46 am

Thank this is what I need.
1 Would be the hard one. Mini bus and ferry may have to bend the rules a bit on that one. Though I have walked to Sandwood Bay. Long way in and the path out. Also done the tourist bit and got the Mini bus to the Cape family day out.

2 Will need to look this up I cant place being there so that needs some work

3 That was on my plan to split this day. Great minds think a like

As I have said this does not need to be done in any order or time scale its just in yrs to come I can say I have done it
innkeeper
Ambler

Postby innkeeper » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Took a while but made a bit of a start well more a bit of reccy. Walked from Oykel Bridge to Benmore. Well in fact done it twice. Along the river to Salachy then up into the woods. Well where the woods use to be. The Forestry is harvesting. Then the following week all the way along the the river. I have 2 guide books and they both had different ways.
The plan was to then do the routes from Benmore to Inch. But some one has joined me on my CWT and wants to do the deforest route. So will do this one again and then move on to the next bit.
But as for which way was best hard one to call. But now the trees have gone you get better views the fist way.
A pic from the starting poing
Attachments
IMG_20150719_133335144_HDR.jpg
innkeeper
Ambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion