walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An easy walk they said......

An easy walk they said......

Postby Caledonia84 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 13/10/2014

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1400m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I haven't done any walks since having knee surgery a year ago and have been a bit apprehensive about doing so. My friend Jonny has been chipping away at me over the past few months about getting out with him again so I relented yesterday to do a small walk up the devils staircase to Stob Mhic Mhartuin for sunrise and then along the munro less ridge.

Left Glasgow at 05.00 and made good time to reach the car park next to the Devils Staircase for 06:30 we had something to eat and started off on the staircase at 06:45 with head torches. 30 mins in and we stopped for some photos but the sunrise and the light were poor so I didn't get any shots work keeping :(. we continued on to the summit of Stob Mhic Mhartuin where the light changed and the views really began to open up.

ImageAonach Eagach by Caledonia84, on Flickr

we continued along the ridge to Sron Gharb where we got an epic view of the prehistoric looking Aonach Eagach ridge, at the summit I felt good, legs felt strong and Jonny suggested carrying on over the Aonach Eagach ridge( I suspect he had planned this all along). Knowing this to be a hard climb and a long day I was hesitant but conditions were perfect so we went for it,

Heading up and over Am Bodach we started meeting others joining here, the clouds closed in leading to some great photo ops,

The Ridge itself was hard going and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't got a head for heights, how people do this in the winter is beyond me!

Straight down!

looking back over the ridge you can see the rescue Helicopter at the other end, it was circling us for a while hope they were just training and not actually searching for someone.

We decided to come down the side of the Clachaig Gully which in hindsight was a bad idea, took as way longer than we thought to get down and was outright lethal in some parts, definitely come off over the Papp of Glencoe instead, Jonny was descending much faster as our knees were killing us so he decided to go and hitch a lift back to the car at devils staircase. Finished up in the excellent Clathaig pub with some well earned food and beer.
Attachments

aonach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Caledonia84 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caledonia84
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: An easy walk they said......

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:13 pm

Good pictures. :)
You might have been one of the "ant-sized beings" we were watching from on top of Garbh Beinn yesterday - seemed the ridge was a busy place. - we were looking over about 1pm for a while.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Caledonia84 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:10 pm

Many thanks weaselmaster!,

It could have been us, we were on it around about that time, excellent conditions all round yesterday the views were spectacular :)
Caledonia84
Munro compleatist

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:07 pm

wow! stunning photos :clap: :D look forward to seeing more :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Interesting route - don't think I've seen a route for these hills which starts so far east :thumbup:

Great set of photos - very atmospheric at times - cheers :)

PS The Am Bodach on the Aonach Eagach isn't a munro - think you've linked the Am Bodach in the Mamores which is a munro
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:57 pm

As RH said interesting route for AE, some fantastic photo's :clap: :clap: Thankfully we couldn't see the drops :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby CJM Skye » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Excellent photo`s , I especially like the one where it looks like you are descending Am Bodach. Did the Aonach Eagach about 4 weeks ago for the first time and enjoyed it thoroughly, the weather was on our side that day which helped.
CJM Skye
Mountain Walker

Munros:61   Corbetts:4
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Caledonia84 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:00 pm

Many thanks guys, and thanks for the heads up on Am Bodach! Ill take it off the report. We started so far east as we were planning on finishing before the ridge, but conditions and moral meant we kept going. i don't think i'd like to traverse this in anything other than good conditions :crazy:
Caledonia84
Munro compleatist

Postby Silverhill » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:48 pm

Wowee! Fantastic pictures, showing off the ridge in a way I haven’t seen before. :D A nice surprise, being lured into the hills and end up doing the Aonach Eagach! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:30 pm

Stunning photos, some of the best I've seen of this ridge, and well done for just seizing the moment :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby sonic » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:58 pm

Cracking report mate and some fantastic photos take it you upgraded from your phone in your last report to a decent camera
Sonic
sonic
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2

Postby Caledonia84 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:16 am

sonic wrote:Cracking report mate and some fantastic photos take it you upgraded from your phone in your last report to a decent camera
Sonic

thanks mate I did indeed upgrade, got a Sony NEX 5R a mirrorless DSLR which makes it very small and compact, ideal for this sot of thing :)

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Stunning photos, some of the best I've seen of this ridge, and well done for just seizing the moment :clap: :clap:

very nice of you to say Huff_n_Puff!! was difficult to go wrong with those conditions photo wise.

Silverhill wrote:Wowee! Fantastic pictures, showing off the ridge in a way I haven’t seen before. :D A nice surprise, being lured into the hills and end up doing the Aonach Eagach! 8)

thank Silverhill and yes it was a nice surprise.....at first, but after 6 hours into the day I was growing weary and mentally fatigued. The camera went away and I just wanted to get through it. Still glad i did it, I won't ever forget it!
Caledonia84
Munro compleatist

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:19 am

Your photos are superb Caledonia, well done :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2

Postby Caledonia84 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:05 pm

many thanks Beaner!
Caledonia84
Munro compleatist

Postby dawnfoth » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Wow! You have some amazing pictures there!! 8) Awesome! I have yet to do the AE and I will be waiting until I have guaranteed dry and wall-to-wall sunshine. Looks absolutely smashing! :D
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland