walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White Coombe, Broad Law et alii

White Coombe, Broad Law et alii

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Route description: White Coomb by the Grey Mare's Tail

Corbetts included on this walk: Broad Law, White Coomb

Donalds included on this walk: Broad Law, Cramalt Craig, Dollar Law, Greenside Law, Lochcraig Head , Molls Cleuch Dod, Talla Cleuch Head, White Coomb

Date walked: 11/10/2014

Time taken: 11.5 hours

Distance: 42 km

Ascent: 1950m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: Saturday 11 October 2014
Time taken: 11hrs 30mins (incl stops 1hr 25mins)
Distance: 42km approx
Ascent: 1,950m approx
Attendees: me

Plan for the day was to head down to Moffat then up to the Grey Mare’s Tail Waterfalls car park for the loop with White Coomb – then on to the Megget Reservoir for Broad Law plus others depending on how things went.

Arrived at the Grey Mare’s Tail Waterfalls car park and set off without needing a head torch. Very misty but the Met office said it would be sunny most of the day (didn’t quite turn out that way).

Morning
C/D/ND : White Coombe
D/ND : Lochcraig Head, Molls Cleuch Dod

Stayed fairly misty most of the way up to Loch Skeen so couldn’t see the waterfalls.

Loch Skeen

Lost the track at this point but managed to find it again – on towards Lochcraig Head

Could see what looked like a sheep in the distance. Closer up turned out to be a wild goat – very friendly and hung around to let me get his photo

A little boggy in places – not unexpected given the amount of recent rain

A little detour to get to the top of Lochcraig Head – in the clag now and not much to see. Turned round and headed SW.

Slightly clearer view towards Loch Skeen

At Firthybrig Head, turn to the NW and follow the dry stone dyke up to Molls Cleuch Dod

Wandered over to another wee cairn

Then back to Firthybrig Head and SW towards Firthhope Rig – mist reappeared and saw little for some time.

Turn left over the style and follow the fence

ESE to White Coomb with a little detour away from the fence to find the cairn

Then back down past Loch Skeen in the distance

One of the locals

Mist looked like smoke

A bit of a problem on meeting the Tail Burn above the waterfalls. Couldn’t find a way across so had to head quite a bit upstream to find a suitable point.

Then back down the ascent path

Back to the car and drove up to the Megget Reservoir. Had hoped to get parked beside the Megget Stone but it was too busy so drove on a bit further to a wee car park at NT143201. Had some lunch before setting off.

Afternoon
C/D/ND : Broad Law
D/ND : Talla Cleuch Head, Cramalt Craig, Dollar Law, Greenside Law

Straight up northwards from the car park to the west of Fans Law and skirted to the south of Cairn Law.

Looking back

On towards Talla Cleuch Head (not named on OS 1:50,000)

Down to Tall Linnfoots (Garelet Hill to the right)

Talla Reservoir

Didn’t take long to get to the top of Talla Cleuch Head – then turned back to head towards Cairn Law

Skirted to the west of Cairn Law then northwards to Broad Law

Weather was still holding up but not as sunny as it was supposed to be

Broad Law summit trig

Air traffic beacon (VOR)

Surrounding hills

On my own at the summit so no-one around to hear me – took out my hip flask to toast the memory of a work colleague

Then off towards the radio mast

And NE towards Cramalt Craig

Now about 1445hrs – decision time, ie whether to return SW to the car or via the New Donald, (Clockmore), or push on towards Dollar Law (which would mean a lengthy walk back on the road). Opted for the latter and headed towards Dollar Law.

Fifescar Knowe in the distance with Dollar Law beyond

Down to the reservoir

Plenty of fences to follow

Looking back to Broad Law – weather starting to close in

Up towards the summit

The rain started then got a lot heavier just after I arrived at the summit. Put the camera away and put on the waterproofs. Little visibility as the clag rolled in along with the wind and rain so followed the fence back down to Fifescar Knowe.

Further down the weather cleared up and the rain stopped

Decided to detour via Greenside Law rather than more directly down to the Cramalt Burn

Didn’t take long to get to the top – couldn’t find a cairn. Then back down to the south of Water Head and south towards Rig Head. This part was hard going as the heather and grass were long and springy with the undulating ground underneath – past some grouse butts.

Then down towards Cramalt Burn (looking back up to Dun Law)

Got to the road beside the burn and walked back down to the main road at Cramalt. Then had the long walk back beside the reservoir to the car. Normally I’d have left a bike at Cramalt but didn’t this time as I wasn’t sure where I’d end up. Very quiet road with no traffic whatsoever all the way back to the car so no chance of a lift.

Nice evening for a walk

Back to the car as darkness descended – got changed for the drive back home and dinner.

Moffat 11oct2014 activelog WhiteCoomb.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Moffat 11oct2014 activelog BroadLaw.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: White Coombe, Broad Law et alii

Postby Silverhill » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:18 pm

You’re getting through those Corbetts at quite a pace, rockhopper! Compleation in a year or so?! :wink:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:02 pm

That's excellent efficiency, RH - good to see that you haven't lost your trademark big circuits now your on the lesser hills... when i set out to do hart fell i wasn't bothered about doing donalds, so missed out on cape law, for example, which is just a wee bit off from the route we took...need to be better prepared
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby dooterbang » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:07 pm

2 walks for the price of one - bargain hunter :)

Couldn't imagine you taking the shorter option and not moving on to Dollar Law. Nice area this, and appears to be very quiet most of the time. It's actually great for cycling too.

So the Corbetts and Donalds are new goals :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby kev_russ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:52 pm

Braw report and pics as per usual Rocks :wink:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:52 am

Some cracking photos there Rockhopper and imaging bumping into Mountain Thyme :crazy: She looks different though since she turned 50 :shock:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:27 pm

cheers all :D

Silverhill, dooters - original plan after the munros was not to complete any more lists but just to pick 'n mix - will need to wait and see, the corbetts and grahams seem harder than the munros and can't be linked up so easily

Johnny Corbett wrote:....imagine bumping into Mountain Thyme :crazy: She looks different though since she turned 50 :shock:
at first I was :? :? then :idea: :idea: which turned to :shock: :shock: ...and I suspect if MT ever sees your comment her reaction to you may be :evil: :twisted: :-P :wtf: :wave: ....... :wink:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland