walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 toughies and saying good bye to my 30s

2 toughies and saying good bye to my 30s

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Route description: Creag Mhòr and Beinn Heasgarnich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich, Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Date walked: 12/10/2014

Time taken: 9.8 hours

Distance: 24.6 km

Ascent: 1614m

21 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2 toughies and saying good bye to my 30s ...does that mean I am over the hill (s)?

Since I completed some serious long days up the hills, I had wanted and needed something easy in good weather to make up for the hardship. A few busy weekend away from the hills had passed and a promising weekend appeared just a week before it was time to say good bye to my 30s :shh: :shifty: :shock: and enter the age of the UHU (Under HUndred) :silent: 8) :lol:

Not keen on another solitude hill walk, I was glad when Spiderwebb (already an UHU) said he would join me.
We met at the car park in Kenknock at 10am on Sunday and set off into the beautiful morning. I had done some research and decided to follow the so called bog free route.
Chatting away we walked along the easy path and crossed numerous new gates. Ben Challum was rising in front of us and Dave told me that he had originally planned to do Beinn Heasgarnich and Creag Mhor as part of a group of 4! :shock:

The path with Ben Challum in front

Looking back

Around an hour into the walk we checked the map, discussed our options and decided to head up Beinn Heasgarnich first. The path we were on was so dominant, that chatting away we were soon way past the bit we had wanted to climb up. :eh: Neither of us had seen a path either and stopping we checked the GPS. Mmm :problem: walking back would be annoying, but since we needed to climb 2 Munros anyway, we just set off to climb them in a clockwise order, making Creag Mhor the first Munro of the day. :thumbup:

If there was a path we certainly did not see it and so we just picked a spot and climbed up towards a gate in the fence. Crossing the fence we looked up and even though it would have been a exciting scramble, the rock was wet and so we decided on a very faith path along the fence. Climbing higher and higher the path continued, but did not lead up the hill. Checking the map we had to leave the path and cut across the rough ground to the top . There was a short distance of path on the map, which we aimed for, but which annoyingly did not get any closer.

Looking back towards the gate and the way we came up

Part of Beinn Heasgarnich and the walk along the fence

Dave on the way up

I am not sure how long we had climbed by that time, but not being able to see the summit was rather de-motivating!
Huffing and puffing we climbed higher and higher until we reached the first flatish area and were finally able to see the summit. Dave suggested a coffee break and sitting down next to a huge boulder we gazed into the distance and tried to figure out the names of the hills we could see...pretty unsuccessfully!

Having a rest

Me

The top of Creag Mhor

Getting up we made our way to the top of Creag Mhor and looked across towards Beinn Heasgarnich. From our viewpoint it was one of these rather un-inviting hills, for which you have to loose a lot of height only to climb the same height again on the other side. The bottom between the two was also covered in peat hags and I kept my fingers crossed that we would escape boggy ground.

Beinn Heasgarnich

View from the top towards Ben More

Beinn Mhanach

Panoramic views

No point hanging around, we followed a path down which seemed to lead away from the mountain we had to climb. Confused we discussed if it would be better to drop to the right, but I remembered from the map that we would have to walk a loop. Just as well, as when we reached lower ground and looked up the hill, steep cliffs would have made the climb down near impossible.
On the way down Dave shamed me by falling into a light run down hill. One thing I will never be able to do! Following slowly I reached the peat hags were he was waiting for me. They had seemed worse from above and yet again our feet stayed dry while we navigated a walk across it.

One successful stag and part of his harem

One still searching

The path had yet again stopped and the only sound we could hear was the rutting sound of the stags in the distance. Having another break to eat some food we looked up the final hill. A faith path lead up the steep slope and when we set off, we were happy to follow it. It seemed endless and knowing that there were 2 blind summits did not make the walk any easier. I was glad that I had company, as chatting away made the steep path less noticeable. When we reached the first blind summit the top was still some distance away, but at least we seemed to have covered most of the height we had to climb. Walking along was pleasant especially when the views opened and we could see towards the Lawers range.

On the way up looking back towards Creag Mhor

Having a rest

Creag Mhor

Views around

Views towards the west

By the time we had reached the final summit of the day, golden evening light highlighted the hill site around us. It was one of the most stunning views I had experienced and I don't know how long we stayed up the summit taking photos.

Dave on the summit

Sunset with Ben Alder in the background

From a bit further away

Myself

The approaching sunset made up realise that it was time to leave and setting off we made our way down to the path. Again if there would have been a path we did not spot it and the climb down took a lot longer than we both expected it. It was relentless and discussing which way would be the best way up, we decided that it was probably good we had missed this one in the morning as it seemed worse than the one we climbed up.

On the summit looking west

The way back

Wee loch

Evening clouds

When we finally reached the path, the sun had set and darkness was approaching fast. Thinking we would be close to the cars, we checked the GPS systems. Daves said it would be 3 miles, mine said 3 kilometers. Confused we walked along until I realised that mine missed the last 1.5 kilometers...so 3 miles it was. Soon we had to drag the head torches out and continued the last part of the path in near darkness, only to arrive at the cars nearly 2h later as planned :shock:

The way back

But with lovely views all day, I could not have wished for a better day and last Munro before I start feel like this...
Funny-Old-Woman-Crazy.jpg
Maybe over 193 hills, but not over the final one yet
Last edited by Mountainlove on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: 2 toughies and saying good bye to my 30s

Postby jepsonscotland » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:48 pm

Another great job. :clap: :clap:
I had been planning these two with Challum, but couldn't face the enormity of the task. :shock:
Now I think this is the way to go with it. 8)
Great photos, as always. :D
It was a cracking day, we were at the Ben More 7, just over the road and stayed to watch that beautiful sunset. 8)
Well done UHU. :lol: :lol:
Chris

PS. Happy Birthday! :clap: :clap:
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby kev_russ » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:32 pm

Very nice. Lovely autumnal colours :) Happy Birthday auld yin :wink:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby dooterbang » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:35 pm

Great report Maja - well done to you both. You could've cycled in to save some time :wink:

I did these in winter due to being pathless, still remember it hard going though.

Don't worry about turning 40. I'd my best year when I turned 40 many years ago, I broke my PB for half marathon & 10k run, climbed over 80 munros, felt really fit, and then....turned 41 and been downhill ever since :shock: :lol:

Happy 40th when it arrives :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:01 pm

Nice walk - smashing autumnal colours and light coming through in your photos :thumbup:

Happy birthday when it comes - the 40s aren't that bad :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Nice one, enjoyed reading that :clap: :clap:
I still remember that walk for all the wrong reasons & it was over 10 years ago, long day & wet underfoot :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Silverhill » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Well done! These two seem very innocent, but I also found them tough. You captured the evening light fantastically. And happy birthday! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:03 pm

Great report and pics :clap: :clap:

Your report really made me laugh, we did these 2 hills the day after some friends gave Roger a really magnificent birthday meal, with lots of wine :D :D . I kept sober, I was the nominated driver :( and next day we set off to do these 2 and Ben Challum. Well it took us ages, due to poor nav, to get up Beinn Heasgarnich, we made it over to Creag Mhor by about 4 pm and just gave up on Ben Challum. But then we had to navigate the crags down ... :shock: :shock:

Thanks for bring back the memories :shock: :lol:

Oh and happy birthday :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:16 pm

Ha Your never that old ....are you ! :wink:

Good report and cráicing pics of golden colors :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby baggervance » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:57 pm

Nice report ML

Sunday was a cracking day for the hills ~ I was opposite you on Meal Glas and Sgiath Chuil ~ stag city and not the partying type.

I remember the cliffs you talk about on Creag Mhor. I ended up directly under them when my GPS went haywire, luckily Marley picked a way up as she followed the sheep and she got us back on track just before the summit. Dogs can be handy at times :D :D

BV
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby KeithS » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:45 pm

Another great report Maya,

I did these two a few weeks ago and they certainly made a great circuit.

And a Happy Birthday from me as well

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:42 am

Great report Maya, was a great day. Me already UHU :lol: can't argue with that. What a photo day :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:22 am

Well done both of you :clap:
Happy b'day for when it comes Maja, you certianly don't look 40, must have had a easy paper round :lol: :wink:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:30 am

Happy Birthday :D
I'm very close to UHU age as well so I hope the roaring forties ain't bad :wink:

Beautiful photos of an area I haven't visited yet... Long drive down south for us, but I see, the mountains are worth it.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Many thanks all for the replies and wishes :D :D ...shall be thinking about you when the times comes this weekend :D

Glad to read that I was not the only one who thought the hills were tough...kind of hoped for an easy day... :crazy: :lol: wishful thinking I guess.

Regarding the cliffs it is easy to head down them ...specially with the map showing a fence line down them :shock:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

21 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland