walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Grahams from Callop and a bonus blue balloon.

Two Grahams from Callop and a bonus blue balloon.

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:03 am

Fionas included on this walk: Glas Bheinn (Kinlocheil), Meall nan Damh

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall a'Bhainne

Date walked: 16/10/2014

Time taken: 6.3 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I hadn't planned to travel as far north but the forecast south of Glencoe was rain with north of Fort William looking good so decided to head to Glenfinnan area and opted initially for the two Grahams thinking it would be a five hour or so walk. This would also give me a chance to eye up the three Corbetts for future reference, didn't want to chance walking them today as it appears to be a long day. So the two Grahams it was and i set off from the car park along the track past Callop, taking the track as far as it went before crossing the steam. I noticed a bridge over the stream a 100m or so before the track ended but this meant more time walking through the trees so i continued to the end of track and crossed the stream there with only problem being slippy rocks. After i was over i made my way towrds the ridge to Meall nan Damh, using the fence line as a guide along the way. The Deer fence had to be climbed, with no stile in sight so no good if you have a dog. Once over the fence i was now on the ridge which was steep initially with some hands on bits that could be bypassed by going up the steep grassy slopes if preferred. The ridge then levels out and becomes fairly easy going, before the final push to the 722m top where it gets steeper again. It's now a easy 1km walk along the ridge to the summit. I stopped off on this ridge for a bite to eat as it was sheltered from the wind at a rocky section. Once i reached the summit i headed down one ridge and then another to the col before making my way up to the summit of Glas Bheinn. I headed north from this summit to avoid the steep west slopes before heading down towards the trees. I soon spotted a track which looked like it headed through the trees to the bridge i saw at the start of the walk and i was to find out later that's exactly where it headed so i made my way to it. Another fence had to be climbed to get to this track and again no stile in sight. I was just over 4 hours into the walk at this point so decided to add on the Marilyn as well and continued on the track to reach the main track. I just crossed the main track and headed to Meall a Bhainne from here, with another Deer fence and stream to cross enroute. Reached the summit to some nice views before i headed directly back to the track and car.
Callop 004.JPG
The start

Callop 006.JPG
Track

Callop 008.JPG
Corbett

Callop 009.JPG
Ridge to Graham

Callop 010.JPG
Corbett

Callop 011.JPG
Corbetts

Callop 013.JPG
Ridge to Meall nan Damh

Callop 014.JPG
Ridge from 722m top

Callop 015.JPG
On way to Glas Bheinn

Callop 016.JPG
Cona Glen

Callop 017.JPG
Glas Bheinn

Callop 018.JPG
North

Callop 019.JPG
Loch Eil

Callop 020.JPG
West

Callop 021.JPG
North

Callop 022.JPG
Heading for track

Callop 025.JPG
The bridge

Callop 026.JPG
Meall a' Bhainne

Callop 027.JPG
Crossed stream here

Callop 028.JPG
SCC, the Corbett

Callop 029.JPG
Loch Shiel

Callop 030.JPG
Glenfinnan

Callop 031.JPG
The viaduct

Callop 032.JPG
Coming off the Marilyn
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Two Grahams from Callop and a bonus blue balloon.

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Looks a good trip - thanks for the warning about the fences - obviously one for the dogs' day off :D :roll:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 pm

That looked good, JC - had hoped to get up here at the end of September but had to change plans - maybe next year if all goes well - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby londonwalker » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:52 pm

Marilyn:-
A Marilyn is a mountain or hill in the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland or Isle of Man with a relative height of at least 150 metres (492 ft), regardless of absolute height or other merit.

Personally I wouldn't boast about these too much
londonwalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:1   Donalds:18
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

Postby robertphillips » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:36 pm

still to do this sub looks a good yin.
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:30 am

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Looks a good trip - thanks for the warning about the fences - obviously one for the dogs' day off :D :roll:
Thanks, you could try a differant route and take the dogs :D
rockhopper wrote:That looked good, JC - had hoped to get up here at the end of September but had to change plans - maybe next year if all goes well - cheers :)
Cheers good luck next year :)
londonwalker wrote:Marilyn:-
A Marilyn is a mountain or hill in the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland or Isle of Man with a relative height of at least 150 metres (492 ft), regardless of absolute height or other merit.

Personally I wouldn't boast about these too much
These hills are for real men only & woman, not for southern softies :wink:
robertphillips wrote:still to do this sub looks a good yin.
Good viewpoint :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland