walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coire Lagan on Easter Sunday

Coire Lagan on Easter Sunday

Postby FloozySuzie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:29 am

Route description: Coire Lagan

Date walked: 04/04/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 590m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first time doing this. I've read quite a few walk reports and have really enjoyed them. Coire Lagan is the first real climb i have done. Myself mum and dad decided after quite a few drinks in our local to head Skye to do a couple of walks. We have done a few easy walks from here around our area, but decided to push ourselves a wee bit. So just like that, it was booked. Straight after work on Saturday, they picked me up and we headed over. The weather over was extremely dreich, but it was my first proper time in Skye (the other times being at the Skye Festival in 2007, and Kyleakin), so i was basically like :o out the window from the back seat.

We were booked into The Old Inn at Carbost, and as soon as we stepped foot in the place, we loved it. Full of locals, it had a lovely atmosphere. A few drinks were had that night, but not too many!

We woke up to the most glorious weather imaginable.

SDC12036.JPG
The view from the Inn.

The hills looked very scary, especially the snow. We really have no large hill climbing experience – never mind full of snow!

SDC12147.JPG

SDC12042.JPG

My Dad said to me “Get up on that rock. Here’s your pole, and stick your leg out or something.” From now on, this is my pose to do at every opportunity...

SDC12060.JPG
It makes me cringe a wee bit, but i kinda like it

As we got further up, we were discussing where the corrie might be. My Dad said “Do you think it’s in that wee nook up there?” We really had no idea. But the further up we got, the more we realised that yes, it was indeed up there. It scared, but excited me.

SDC12079.JPG

At one point, my Mum was stationary for about 10 minutes, really contemplating turning back. The snow terrified her, it was very deep. We were telling her she could do it, saying ‘It’s only just up there.’ The false summits didn’t exactly help either!

SDC12081.JPG
I ended up sunburned

When we eventually made it up (my Mum included), the corrie was frozen. Of course, stupid me decided to have a closer look, and ended up with my feet in bloody freezing water. It just reached the top of my boots, so only my ankles were wet.

SDC12098.JPG

SDC12105.JPG

SDC12104.JPG

SDC12107.JPG

I found the descent very scary, scarier than i thought it would be. It was spent on my arse most of the time.

SDC12125.JPG
Does anyone have a sledge?

SDC12138.JPG

SDC12135.JPG

A well deserved drink back at the Inn!

SDC12149.JPG
Lager, and 35ml vodka

The next day we started the Glen Brittle Forest walk. The weather was absolutely horrendous, a howling gale, and horizontal rain. We stupidly only had 2 pairs of waterproof trousers between the 3 of us, so a mile in we had to stop. A nice visit to Portree and Armadale was made however, so it wasn’t a wasted day.

Walking up Coire Lagan is probably the best thing I have ever done. I loved every single second of it. I was surprised by how do-able it is as well, it looked much scarier from sea-level. As soon as we got home, me and my Mum were on here looking at what to do next. We’re thinking Ullapool in a few weeks. This is just the start!
FloozySuzie

Re: Coire Lagan on Easter Sunday

Postby Gable Gable End » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:23 am

some really nice photos there! :)
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby magicdin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:42 am

great report suzie

hmmmmmm - still plenty of snow on the cuillin :think: :think: :think:
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Nice photos. Would recommend Coire a'Ghrunnda too.
foggieclimber

Postby kevsbald » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:59 pm

In this socially fragmented world, it's nice to see a family outing. Nice to see what that walk looks like - as long as you don't plagiarise my summit pose - leg up on rock, hand over brow looking to the distance. I've copyright that one. 8)
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:05 pm

Fantastic, a fine report on a cracking day :D

Glad you did this. We'll be in Skye in about 6 weeks and intend doing this and the Coire na Creiche and the Fairy Pools circuit. Can't wait after seeing your pics :)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Graeme D » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:54 pm

kevsbald wrote:In this socially fragmented world, it's nice to see a family outing.

Hmmm, can't quite see my parents featuring in any of my future walk reports. Unless I stop off at their house for a cuppa on the way home! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby AndyHall » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:37 pm

I think I bumped into you on the Glenbrittle Forest Walk just as we were starting it... I was the guy that asked if you had gone as far as where the forest road was blocked... I hate to say it but it stopped raining as soon as we started and stayed off all the way round, a bit gusty at times though. From the way the weather had been on the drive round I still can't believe we stayed dry!

Back on topic... Nice report and some amazing photos, especially the first one of the view from the inn! I was left wishing I was out walking that day, we'd had a wee drive round Sleat, the views of the Cuillin from Tarskavaig were amazing, would have rather been up in the hills though!
AndyHall

Munros:96   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   

Postby FloozySuzie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Ah yes that was me! What a small world. You're from Inverness too which is strange. Even if we had continued, my mum was completely soaked through, so it would have been pure misery. We were pretty disappointed. The drive up to Portree was nice, and the weather improved a lot.

On the Sunday my mum was speaking to a guy on the hill who said he'd been walking Skye for 20 years, and this was the best day for walking he'd ever seen. Not sure about that, but it was pretty nice! Although, on the way back down all the snow was melting, so the path was basically a big burn. Such a huge difference to the miserable next day.
FloozySuzie

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi floozy,will be staying at the old inn carbost when we climb the inn pin in aug,how was the food and the crack :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby FloozySuzie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:16 pm

The craic was absolutely brilliant. I read a review somewhere that breakfast depends on what time the staff got to bed. So true! The Saturday was the start of the summer, so all the staff were on the sesh. A fantastic band called Bramax were playing, the atmosphere was brilliant. In the morning, the guy making our breakfast only had a couple of hours sleep. That didn't cause the breakfast to be rubbish however, on no! It was lovely.
When we arrived back there was a table of staff sat out in the sunshine, on the bevvy again. :lol: It was brilliant.

The food was great as well. The langoustines were beautiful, although my dad didn't enjoy his chowder, so i'd maybe stay clear of that. Fish and chips were had on Sunday, nice crispy batter :D

All in all i'd really recommend it. It's my type of place.
FloozySuzie

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Sounds a brill time had by all,can"t wait :D
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby colgregg » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:03 pm

Coire Lagan Is a beautiful spot. As already mentioned Coire a Ghrunnda too is a gem of a place. Your pics are excellent. Did you meet any locals at the inn at carbost? When i was there in 2004 a couple of local youths gave us an hilarious evening with the tales they had to tell!
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby FloozySuzie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Saturday night was full, with a really good live band playing. The next day all the bar staff were still ****.
The craic was really really good. Next time i go to Skye, which i'm hoping isn't going to be too long away, i would definitely go there again. It's on a beautiful spot as well.
FloozySuzie

Postby colgregg » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:12 pm

I've not been up since 2004 and am desperate to get back and bag a few more tops. I enjoyed my times stopping at the croft and bunkhouse in Portnalong. They have a 2 man accom - The Cabin - which although basic is for me on my own just perfect. The pub in Portnalong always was O.K. but don't know about nowadays.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland