walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Following in Danny MacAskill's Steps on the Cuillin

Following in Danny MacAskill's Steps on the Cuillin

Postby Quadbarrel » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:51 pm

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich, Sgùrr na Banachdich

Date walked: 13/10/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1550m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We didn't actually climb the In Pinn :( as we didn't have the gear, which means a bike managed to get further than us!

Because this was our most ambitious walk on the Cuillin Ridge so far (I'd been dreaming about them for months), we didn't know how long we'd take, so headed out as early as possible :wink:

1.JPG
This is very early!

Parked at the Memorial Hut, then headed along the road to the Youth Hostel, before heading up next to the Allt Choire a' Ghreadaidh.

Track_Banachdich to Alasdair.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Turned off on the path to Coir' an Eich. We decided to go up this way over Coire na Banachdich after much debate because we wouldn't have to double back on ourselves, despite some guides we'd read saying this was the 'boring' route.

2.JPG
No route to the Cuillins is easy!

First light was coming fast.

3.JPG
The Outer Hebrides behind Glen Brittle

We headed up the screes above the corrie and after a bit of a slog reached the An Diallaid ridge, where we got a pretty impressive view into Coire a' Ghreadaidh.

4.JPG
Coire a' Ghreadaidh

Started heading up the ridge to Sgurr na Banachdich, which is surely the widest in the whole of the Black Cuillin! Started to encounter some frost for the first time this year as well :D :D :D . Lets look forward to the snow! :D
Reached the top of Sgurr na Banachdich after a fair slog, where Dad went photo crazy :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

5.JPG
Loch Harport and The MacLeod's Tables

We thought we could see the In Pinn, but this In Pinn was actually a mini In Pinn on top of the big In Pinn!

6.JPG
The Mini In Pinn

7.JPG
First time me and dad had ever seen the famous Loch Coruisk

9.JPG
Our destinations starting to acquire some cloud

8.JPG
Summit Shot

Headed down the ridge towards Bealach Coire na Banachdich, which we had previously given up trying to reach in the clouds last Easter - we were trying to reach Loch Coruisk and get back to Glen Brittle in just a morning! :roll:

10.JPG
Only took half a year!

Headed up the very intimidating buttress of Sgurr Dearg, which didn't take long at all compared to what I expected - don't you just love it when a false summit turns out to be the actual summit :D

11.JPG
Here we are!

I then remembered this was a false summit :shock:

12.JPG
Wow!

How the heck did Danny MacAskill get up there?!? :clap:

Started to head down the slope to An Stac and Bealach Coire Lagan, which would definitely be interesting if wet :? ! Contoured round the top of the An Stac screes.

13.JPG
Coire Lagan

We headed up to the top of Sgurr Mhic Choinnich (may as well be called bowgbfguinesp for all I can pronounce it :lol: ), which involved some tricky route finding.

15.JPG
Summit Shot

14.JPG
We were now getting a better view of Sgurr Alasdair than we did when we were on it (in a bit of cloud)

Dad then modeled what we had just walked

16.JPG
[Wolf Whistles]

We had lunch just below the tiny summit and discussed what we were going to do next as we knew Collie's Ledge was in the way of Sgurr Alasdair :o . We decided to 'go and have a look', which we did, then magically found ourselves on it :wink: , so had to finish it off! :roll:

Reached Bealach Mhic Choinnich, which we hadn't planned to have actually got to, so we were unsure of whereabouts the path went, so decided to head down the scree slope towards Coire Lagan and when it was safe to do so, contour round to the Great Stone Chute.

17.JPG
Did I mention how much I was looking forward to this?

Once the massacre was over, we headed up on to Sgurr Alasdair, which is the second time we've done it, the first was in Easter in the cloud.

18.JPG
Coir' a' Ghrunnda

19.JPG
The highest people on Skye!

Finally, for the first time since yesterday evening, we saw a person :o !!!

20.JPG
The Inaccessible Pinnacle is accessed

Headed down the Stone Chute to Coire Lagan, which is a lot more fun than coming up!

21.JPG
Coire Lagan

We could see the Isle of Rum, which is where Dad proposed to Mum :clap: 8) , so Dad started fantasizing about 'the good days' and all that.

22.JPG
Romantic Rum

Instead of heading down the path to the campsite, we took the branch of right to the Memorial Hut, past Loch an Fhir-bhallaich, or 'that loch' as I like to call it. The bottles were also a bit low, so when we reached Eas Mor...

23.JPG
We had to!

24.JPG
Finished!
Quadbarrel
Mountaineer

Munros:143   Corbetts:51
Fionas:34   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:30   Islands:3

Re: Following in Danny MacAskill's Steps on the Cuillin

Postby dogplodder » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:08 pm

That's magnificent - the route you took, the weather, the scenery, everything! :clap:

Much better doing it without the bike. :problem:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Wow! That looks a big day! looks like you had great weather for it. Well done. Some super photos :clap: :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby J888ohn » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:13 pm

Great report and pics. I was at the In Pinn and did some of the ridge before I knew about the obsession that is Munro Bagging. Need to go back and do it all again and this looks like a great route. Think I came up the scree to the In Pin that day as I remember taking one step forward to slide back two :)
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:59 pm

That was a great read! And what fantastic pictures - glad you got the views this time. Particularly like the one of your Dad with the ridge behind and the one of you 'filling' the bottle! Much bigger achievement than Danny MacAskill - you didn't have a big production team behind you.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Emmanuelle » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:54 pm

Great, succinct and witty account and beautiful pics. What fantastic weather and views too. I went up Sgurr Alasdair 3 weeks ago, in cloud, so we didn't get such marvellous views as you did. Another excuse to get back up!
Emmanuelle
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:78
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:4   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Silverhill » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:41 pm

Fantastic, can’t wait to try these hills! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:40 pm

nice one, don`t think i`ve seen the inn pinn from that direction before.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland