walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Destress Beacon 2: Bannau Sir Gaer sunset

Destress Beacon 2: Bannau Sir Gaer sunset

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:05 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannau Sir Gaer - Picws Du, Fan Brycheiniog

Date walked: 09/09/2014

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 500m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Hmm, the first anniversary of back problems when hillwalking! Well at least things have got a bit better and I've been able to do this walk -surprisingly, one of the longest of the year if not the biggest ascent.
I had no idea of the existence of this hill until I scoured WH looking for a second walk for day two of the conference I was at in Cardiff. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Ok, not too much effort involved but a beautiful landscape and dramatic views over the loch, Llyn y Fan Fach. And if, like me, you are looking for something easyish then this is an ideal choice.
Set off along the more southern of the two approaches from the east that are marked on the OS map. In fact though, I crossed the stream at the earliest obvious point and I found the way up from there very easy if a little boggy in places. Looks a bit of a slog to the beallach Bwlch Giadd but I hardly noticed the climb and after fifty minutes I was on the solid stone of the Brecon Beacons way and, after another 150m hike up the long zig zag I was pretty much on the escarpment edge leaving only a few minutes leisurely walk up to the first top, Fan Brycheiniog during which I could marvel at the mountainside agility of the sheep. The path then just follows the cliff edge northwards past two more tops before swinging south west and downwards to another beallach below Bannau Sir Gaer. From the middle of this descent I did a mental recalculation of my likely arrival at the car and realised I was a bit behind schedule, wary of too late a return after so little sleep in the past 48 hours. It looked an awful long way out to the next couple of tops but the objective evidence of the map gave me encouragement to continue. After all, there would be little actual descent and ascent despite appearances and I knew I could still cover the flat ground fairly quickly plus the walk in from the east had been easier than anticipated. Once I'd got past my doubts I really started to enjoy the rest of the walk, particularly once the loch came into view. From there on there are tremendous views from the cliff edge down to the water and very easy walking. Hadn't intended going all the way to the 677m top but I felt I was going to manage fine so I just kept going. Got there still feeling energetic and with enough time to get to a good spot for the sunset.
A lot of the sheep seemed to be admiring the sunset too and I got lots of lit up sheep eyes following my progress past them on the way back. Met one other person near the final beallach and they seemed to be out for a moonlight walk as they were headed onwards, not down.
Had a bit of night time mis-navigation and followed a stream just south of the correct one which left me with a fifteen minute walk on the road at the end but that had still been a very easy descent.

Image out of focus but shows the route west (stream on right), my descent route (stream on left) and the distinctive top of Fan Foel

Image an earlier stream crossing than the one marked on the OS map and WH route -turned out fine

Image spotted by the look-out sheep

Image get off my land

Long version of video:
Last edited by litljortindan on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Destress Beacon 2: Bannau Sir Gaer sunset

Postby litljortindan » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:36 pm

My but it was a good walk.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby ala_fred » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:51 am

Great walk I am thinking of doing this the 1st weekend in November where did you start and how long did it take . If possible could you upload the route as there are 3 ways of doing it

Alastair
ala_fred
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   

Postby litljortindan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:52 pm

ala_fred wrote:Great walk I am thinking of doing this the 1st weekend in November where did you start and how long did it take . If possible could you upload the route as there are 3 ways of doing it

Alastair

From the east. Took me 6.5 hours but I am quite slow.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby malky_c » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:01 pm

That was my favourite of the South Wales hills - looks even better in the sunset :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby litljortindan » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:31 pm

malky_c wrote:That was my favourite of the South Wales hills - looks even better in the sunset :D

I'm not surprised. Glad too that I didn't think to look in my copy of Poucher's Welsh Peaks before I went down there as he doesn't cover this hill. The walk along the Bannau Sir Gaer cliff tops looking down on the loch was great.
litljortindan
Ambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland