walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a' Ghlorious

Beinn a' Ghlorious

Postby Silverhill » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:53 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 11/06/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 23.2 km

Ascent: 1419m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn a' Ghlo.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beinn a’ Ghlo, hill of the veil or mist. A very apt name for this mysterious hill which only reveals its beauty to those climbing it. Some years ago I walked from Blair Atholl via Spittal of Glenshee, Inverey, Lairig an Laoigh to Glenmore and the route took me past Beinn a’ Ghlo. The map showed the abundance of ridges and corries, but from the path along the Allt Coire Lagain, not much was visible of this.
Likewise today, from the car park near Loch Moraig. The path scarring Carn Liath’s SW ridge was obvious, but otherwise there was no hint or promise of what was to follow.

495 smaller.jpg
Glen Fender and Monzie looking lovely

The walk from the car to the little hut is straightforward on the track.

497 smaller.jpg
Leaving the track here

From the hut extra mileage was made in an attempt to dodge wet and boggy patches. But where the path meets a low wall things improved.

The ascent started off on gentle slopes and then gradually got steeper. Looking back at the views I spotted two walkers and a female runner lower down.

498 smaller.jpg
Halfway views

The runner overtook me at the steepest section. That’s a different level of fitness, respect! The path is very eroded, but thanks to the handy zigzags progress was pretty good and soon I was on the summit.

499 smaller.jpg
Summit Carn Liath

Wow what a gorgeous mountain! :D Those ridges! I couldn’t wait to get stuck in.

502 smaller.jpg
Curving ridges...

503 smaller.jpg
...sweeping flanks

I sheltered behind the cairn for a break and enjoyed the views at my leisure.

504 smaller.jpg
Ben Vuirich

506 smaller.jpg
Carn a' Chlamain

The walk to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain was fantastic, the perspectives changing with every twist in the ridge.

508 smaller.jpg
Ridge up Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain

Once on the summit the views back and towards what was still to come were great. Mmmm, those curving ridges and sweeping flanks. :D

509 smaller.jpg
Summit Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain

511 smaller.jpg
Looking back towards Carn Liath

516 smaller.jpg
Airgiod Bheinn

518 smaller.jpg
Carn nan Gabhar emerging from the mist

I followed the ridge down to the 1000m bealach and from there descended to Bealach an Fhioda as the slopes were less steep. From the bealach a clear path traverses east towards Carn nan Gabhar. Once on the ridge easy slopes lead to a cairn, a bit further on a trig point and then finally the summit. The going was quite rough on the stony summit plateau. The wind had picked up and blew me off balance a few times. But the obstacle course was completed without accidents and luckily the summit cairn was a perfect wind shelter and view point.

521 smaller.jpg
Summit Carn nan Gabhar

524 smaller.jpg
View towards Carn an Righ and Beinn Iutharn Mhor

But this wasn’t the end of the trip, there was still the south top Airgiod Bheinn (silver hill), which I had to climb for obvious reasons! :wink: And as a bonus, there would be more views of the other Beinn a’ Ghlo hills. Mmmmm! The short diversion required hardly any effort on the gentle slopes, and the views were well worth it.

528 smaller.jpg
Airgiod Bheinn and Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain

529 smaller.jpg
On the silver hill looking back towards Carn nan Gabhar

530 smaller.jpg
Carn Liath

531 smaller.jpg
Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain

Having delayed the descent for as long as possible it was now inevitable. What a shame to have to go. So down to Bealach an Fhiodha and from there along the east side of the Allt Bealach an Fhiodha on a good path.

533 smaller.jpg
Descent along the Allt Bealach an Fhiodha

Sadly this deteriorated rapidly lower down. After crossing the stream it got even worse. A true bogfest. I’ll leave it at that! Past the worst of the bogs was this interesting looking rock.

534 smaller.jpg
Vanilla chocolate ripple rock

Once on the track everything was lovely again with green pastures, sheep and cows. These were a very effective distraction from the tired legs and made for a pleasant walk back to the car.

536 smaller.jpg
Lovely pastures

537 smaller.jpg
Loch Moraig

It promised to be a good evening for walking. Just as well, because my day hadn’t finished yet after Beinn a’ Ghlo. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Beinn a' Ghlorious

Postby JimboJim » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:57 pm

Nice one, Silverhill. Good to see photo's of what we never saw! Big hike, isn't it (or, at least, it was for us.)

Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby Jaywizz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:02 am

Love your chocolate ripple rock! From the wide vistas to the close observations, a great report.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:167   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Postby dogplodder » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:25 am

I agree it's a great ridge, memorable for the strong gusts of wind which blew my pal off her feet. Twice on that ridge it's been seriously windy - but been there in balmier conditions too. Good to see your photos. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby basscadet » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:26 pm

That chocolate ripple rock looks a lot like a cow pat :lol:

havnie been roaming round thiose parts for ages.. sounded like a braw day :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:32 pm

These hills look spectacular from Carn Bhac, Carn an Righ and Carn a'Mhaim to name a few, i loved the ridge too. I hope when you say your day wasn't finished that you simply walked to the chippy or something after this :lol: :lol: :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby dawnfoth » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:30 pm

...curving ridges and sweeping flanks.... are you sure you are talking about the hills? :lol: Seriously, looks great! I saw absolutely nothing on these 3. It was a wet miserable day, then I hit the bog too..... :shock: Maybe one day I will go back. Thanks for sharing :D
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:25 pm

You had a busy start to June Silverhill :clap: :clap: :clap:

My memory of these was a trudge up Carn Liath, then a great walk over to the next two Munros followed by a never ending walk back to the car park (but the walk along the tops was just fantastic).

Was July/Aug/Sept as productive???
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:59 pm

Certainly a nice ridge, once you're up and over Carn Liath, with its twists and turns. Long walk out though especially if it's boggy - walking in winter helps a bit if frozen. Am wondering what you went on to that evening - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Silverhill » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Cheers for all the comments! :D
JimboJim wrote:Nice one, Silverhill. Good to see photo's of what we never saw! Big hike, isn't it (or, at least, it was for us.)

Thanks JimboJim! I think the descent down the never-ending bog mess makes it a big hike. Before the bog I was skipping along, after the bog all energy had disappeared. :crazy:

Jaywizz wrote:Love your chocolate ripple rock! From the wide vistas to the close observations, a great report.

Thanks Jaywizz! :D If only it was real vanilla chocolate ripple!

dogplodder wrote:I agree it's a great ridge, memorable for the strong gusts of wind which blew my pal off her feet. Twice on that ridge it's been seriously windy - but been there in balmier conditions too. Good to see your photos. 8)

Thanks dogplodder! That day, the walking poles came in very handy as stabilizers against the wind on Carn nan Gabhar, although I still had a few stumbles.

basscadet wrote:That chocolate ripple rock looks a lot like a cow pat :lol: havnie been roaming round thiose parts for ages.. sounded like a braw day :wink:

Thanks basscadet, it was a braw day! I wonder on what diet the cow would have been! :wink:

Beaner001 wrote:These hills look spectacular from Carn Bhac, Carn an Righ and Carn a'Mhaim to name a few, i loved the ridge too. I hope when you say your day wasn't finished that you simply walked to the chippy or something after this :lol: :lol: :clap:

Thanks Beaner001! I did a nice evening walk to Allt Sheicheachan bothy afterwards. I shall look forward to seeing Beinn a’ Ghlo again next year from Carn Bhac and Carn an Righ! 8)

dawnfoth wrote:...curving ridges and sweeping flanks.... are you sure you are talking about the hills? :lol: Seriously, looks great! I saw absolutely nothing on these 3. It was a wet miserable day, then I hit the bog too..... :shock: Maybe one day I will go back. Thanks for sharing :D

Thanks dawnfoth! Definitely a hill that is very pleasing to the eye. :wink: If you get to see it, that is....

Gordie12 wrote:You had a busy start to June Silverhill :clap: :clap: :clap:
My memory of these was a trudge up Carn Liath, then a great walk over to the next two Munros followed by a never ending walk back to the car park (but the walk along the tops was just fantastic). Was July/Aug/Sept as productive???

Thanks Gordie12! I agree, a bit of a walk with two faces: graft and grumble on the way up and back, and an absolute delight once high up. Well worth it though! :D
I’m usually only productive in June, but this year I also managed a sneaky week of bagging in July. :D

rockhopper wrote:Certainly a nice ridge, once you're up and over Carn Liath, with its twists and turns. Long walk out though especially if it's boggy - walking in winter helps a bit if frozen. Am wondering what you went on to that evening - cheers :)

Thanks rockhopper! It had been dry for quite a number of days, so the descent must be a nightmare when it’s been wet. Frost indeed is the solution, I doubt whether a heat wave will do the trick! :crazy:
In the evening I made a start with the walk in to Beinn Dearg, which was planned for the following day. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland