walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Is it Still Summer?

Is it Still Summer?

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:00 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall na Leitreach, The Sow of Atholl

Date walked: 31/10/2014

Time taken: 3.9 hours

Distance: 14.7 km

Ascent: 936m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a leisurely drive up the A9 I was parked up at Dalnaspidal and ready to go for 8.20am. Plenty parking spaces on either side of the road by the railway line and I had my pick of them as there was no one else around. One thing I did notice on the road up, the chap that lives at the layby a mile south of House of Bruar has bought himself a great big new tent.

Things didn't look very promising on the road up so it was surprising to see that the clag seemed to be sitting at around 700m.

1.jpg
Car Park

Once over the railway line I headed towards the lodge then took the right turn (signed Rannoch) following a track heading for Loch Garry.

2.jpg
Any grub mate?

Crossed the sluice bridge over the Allt Dubhaig and continued on to the next bridge over the Allt Coire Luidhearnaidh. Just before this bridge I took a right turn and followed a newish looking bulldozed track (not sure if this one was built at the same time as the one that runs parallel to the A9 south of Dalnaspidal?) climbing gradually uphill keeping the Allt Coire Luidhearnaidh on the left.

3.jpg
1st sluice bridge

4.jpg
2nd bridge with Loch Garry beyond

5.jpg
Allt Coire Luidhearnaidh

After 10 minutes I came to a split in the track and took the right turn.

11.jpg
Turn right

This track only lasted about 100 yards before reaching a rather attractive 4x4 parking area/turning point.

10.jpg

At the far end of the turning point I found an old track which was a bit damp but clear enough to follow as it headed up the lower slopes of The Sow.

6.jpg
A bit damp

I reached a point where the track had stopped gaining height and it was now time to leave it behind and pick a line through the heather. This bit was a bit damp and fairly steep so it was a good feeling to reach the short cut heather and get blasted by the wind -must be nearing the top.

7.jpg
Looking south towards the A9

Once on the short heather the gradient eased and it was an easy walk over to the summit. Unfortunately the low cloud meant there were no views to be had.

8.jpg
View north

9.jpg
View south - or is it the other way round?

Pretty windy on the summit but still quite warm, even on the exposed top i've still just got a long sleeved thin summer top on - balmy.

After a couple of photos I just retraced my steps back down to the bridge over the Allt Coire Luidhearnaidh. From here I wasn't sure if I could just head directly for the sluice bridge at the head of Loch Garry as I needed to cross the waterway and I couldn't see a bridge so played safe and headed back to the bridge over the Allt Dubhaig and followed the grassy left bank.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg
Looking up Loch Garry

Once over the bridge it's a quick left and right to start the climb up Meall na Leitreach. This track is a bit on the damp side, probably not surprising after all the recent rain. It's a bit of a damp miserable climb up as the low cloud means there's not much to look at on the way so head down and engage trudge gear.

16.jpg

17.jpg

22.jpg
The summit in view

18.jpg

Once the main climb is out the way it's an easy walk along the wide ridge with a slight descent before the final pull up to the top.

19.jpg
The only dry bit - the 100m walk over to the summit

20.jpg
Summit of Meall na Leitreach

21.jpg
And again

Another short stop at the top for a couple of photos and off back down the track.

23.jpg
The Sow of Atholl - looks steep from this angle

The walk back down the sodden track was going OK till reaching this point.

15.jpg

On the steepest, wettest section of track I did my one minute take of bambi on ice with three top class dives straight in to the mush - oh happy days.

Back at the car in 3hrs 50 mins so not a long day and I can imagine on a better day the views are probably really extensive - maybe next time.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Is it Still Summer?

Postby PerthAlly » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:26 pm

Spied that chap's new tent on Monday! Was in Inverness with work.

Decent day for a walk. Meant to take in the Sow of Atholl in August whilst walking the 4 munros at Drumochter but weather was awful. I'll get it another day.
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:39 pm

PerthAlly wrote:Spied that chap's new tent on Monday! Was in Inverness with work.

Decent day for a walk. Meant to take in the Sow of Atholl in August whilst walking the 4 munros at Drumochter but weather was awful. I'll get it another day.

I think it's bigger than my 1st flat!!!!!

The Sow is well worth doing but it 's only a couple of hours if done in isolation so worth combining with MnL.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:34 am

Gordie12 wrote: It's a bit of a damp miserable climb up as the low cloud means there's not much to look at on the way so head down and engage trudge gear.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dalwhinnie and surrounds do seem to attract a greater proportion of clag and rain :roll:
A good walk for shorter days - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi rockhopper - a good couple of hills to break an A9 journey and on a good day probably really good views.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Silverhill » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:33 pm

Love that picture with the bridge and Loch Garry! 8) I had to chuckle at you Bambi on ice imitation. Been there myself. :oops:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi Silverhill - must admit it looked really appealing looking down Loch Garry - might do a walk through to Loch Rannoch sometime.
Gordie12
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland