walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Some Perthshire Corbetts

Some Perthshire Corbetts

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:23 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: An Dùn, Ben Vrackie, Maol Creag an Loch (A' Chaoirnich), Meall na Leitreach

Date walked: 02/11/2014

Time taken: 12.2 hours

Distance: 46 km

Ascent: 2567m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This weekend I'd decided to do some hills I'd been putting off for a while - the Gaick Corbetts, which I'd wanted to do as a 5-some with the 3 southern Feshie Corbetts, but didn't manage to get my mojo together enough for, and Beinn Mholach along with Meall na Leitrach. It meant two biggish days and I thought there might just be daylight enough to make them possible. Driving up to Blair Castle Campsite on Hallowe'en was alright - the rain stayed off until we got the tent up and had our dinner. I was amazed to be sitting out on one of the benches at 7pm eating my tea by headtorch with just a tee-shirt on - weird weather or what? Anyway it rained most of the night on Friday, ensuring a misty moisty morning as we drove the few miles up the A9 to the turn off for Trinafour - the site of one of our early wild camping exploits. As we arrived I realised I'd forgotten to pack my lunch or the flask of hot water for coffee. Or my headtorch for that matter. Senility here we come... Parked up and set off for a mad dash across the road and onto the public right of way through the Gaick pass. There's a little section through forest before coming out onto the lengthy track that runs alongside the Edendon Water and up to Sronphadruig Lodge - sadly derelict. Would be a lovely spot for a bothy with the hills right in your eye. Once at the Lodge the track becomes boggier. We walked along on the Gaick path for a little then turned uphill onto the nose of An Dun. A "V" of migrating geese passed by. Not as steep an ascent as I'd been expecting, was a comfortable ascent when we located the winding path. Certainly helps to be starting at just shy of 500m though - would have been a bit more of a lung buster had the hill been on the West Coast with a sea level start.

Breakfast to the campsite
ImageP1040361 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Start of the walk
ImageP1040363 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040364 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Our targets
ImageP1040368 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Derelict Lodge
ImageP1040370 by 23weasels, on Flickr

An Dun
ImageP1040371 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Gaick Pass
ImageP1040373 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Up you go, Lassie
ImageP1040374 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Geese
ImageP1040375 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View back
ImageP1040376 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Summit
ImageP1040377 by 23weasels, on Flickr

The summit opens out to a plateau from which the lochs of An Dun & Bhrodainn dominate the views. The hills appear sculpted, with a plateau stretching away to the north and the central plain dug out. Quite marvellous. Found a wee dip on the northern face of An Dun to stop and have a bit of food - fortunately Allison had left tomorrow's sandwich in the car so I could scavenge that, and a wee smile came to my face when I rummaged in my rucksack and found a tub of pringles. So only the hot drink missing :( Sat and looked at the geography of the place, then headed down the steep grassy slopes to the Allt Loch an Duin. I'd been a bit concerned that this might pose a problem in crossing with all the recent rain, but it was fine, although there were several limbs of it to cross. In one I saw at least a dozen good sized salmon chilling in the shallows, though they darted off when they saw me. We had the WH route which suggested following the track for a mile to find a slightly gentler slope up A'Chaornich, but it didn't look too steep and we just headed straight up between the Allts Creag & Bruthach nan Spardan - not really much to it. Animal tracks kept going off laterally, sometimes I'd follow them for a bit. Mountain hares sped off, looking rather ghostly as they are on the turn to white at present. The summit was reached, pictures taken and we headed off towards the southern cairn at 867 before turning to the right and descending. I continued over Meall nan Spianaig (which is a Graham top of Corbett... :wink: ) before rejoining the track as it crossed the concrete bridge. A brisk walk back to the car followed and a fair time all in all. Would have been an easy one to bike in, but I'm glad to have walked it.

Flat top of An Dun
ImageP1040378 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View N to Loch Bhrodainn
ImageP1040380 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040382 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Steep descent
ImageP1040384 by 23weasels, on Flickr

A'Chaornich
ImageP1040386 by 23weasels, on Flickr

River crossing
ImageP1040387 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040388 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View down Loch An Duin
ImageP1040390 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Summit A'Chaornich
ImageP1040391 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View back to An Dun
ImageP1040398 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Concrete bridge
ImageP1040400 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Stats
ImageP1040401 by 23weasels, on Flickr

The rain came on as we drove back to Blair Atholl, we stopped off for a pint of Atholl Ale (meh) in the Atholl Arms then made a really quite spicy chili in the tent. We were both a bit knackered - been a tough week at work for me and Allison's back was giving her gyp, so we turned in about 6.30. Bangs from a firework display presumably at the castle kept sleep away- a really miserable night for watching fireworks.

My plans for Sunday were now in a bit of turmoil. Given Allison's shape I was far from sure she'd manage the long walk into Beinn Mholach - I was also concerned at the bog and river crossing factor given yet another night of heavy rain. I thought we would get up early and do Meall na Leitrach first, then consider our options. Managed to get away by 8, which is good going for us these days, and drove back up the A9 to Dalnaspindal, where we parked by the cycletrack and set off for Meall na Leitrach. Rain was upon us, clag was down, and Allison was struggling to keep pace as we went up a soggy but gentle incline. it was a fairly miserable pull to the summit cairn with poor visibility and I decided then that we'd just head back the way we'd come up and go and climb Ben Vrackie instead - a wee skoosh of a 3 hour walk up a track - surely she could manage that? As we were walking back from the summit the clag lifted and there was even a little sunshine. Hmmm - right choice? met another walker on the way up, put off Munros by the forecast of high winds - although there were no winds today where we were. Back at the car and a whizz down the A9 to Pitlochrie, then onto the wee village of Moulin, past the brewery of the not-really-my-cup-of-tea Atholl Ale to the car park. Which was crammed - we were lucky that someone was leaving just as we arrived otherwise it would have been a struggle to get parked anywhere. We hadn't divested our wet clothes, so just got out and on the go again.

Start of the walk
ImageP1040402 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Meall na Leitrach
ImageP1040403 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Geese
ImageP1040404 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Summit
ImageP1040410 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Starting to clear as we return to the car
ImageP1040412 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040413 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Stats - 480 ascent!! skoosh!!!
ImageP1040414 by 23weasels, on Flickr

The path takes you through woodland, with reds and golds of autumn pretty against the backdrop of evergreen. Some boys with their toys were out clay shooting and making one hell of a racket, which did disturb the peacefulness of a Sunday morning walk - especially as they were shooting adjacent to the track. Leaving the woodland behind we headed out onto the open moorland, up a fine path. Reaching a couple of benches we stopped for lunch - in the sunshine, would you believe :D There were loads of people out on the hill today - guess it is a popular hill, but very different from our experience yesterday where we didn't pass a soul. Up to Loch a'Choire with it's stony guardian then up the steepish track to the summit of Vrackie. Clouds parted as we got to the cairn -I jogged across to the adjacent cairns for another view. Back down to the loch then followed the path around it, nipping up Meall na h-Aodainn Moire which I reckoned would be a tick of some sort (yep - another GTC) then back down onto the path and back to the car in just over 3 hours. Very pleasant walk it was too. Stopped off at Tiso in Perth for a gander then another good meal in an packed Stereo before home for 7pm. The weekend may not have gone entirely to plan, but at least it was another 4 Corbetts and better weather than expected.

Vrackie car park
ImageP1040415 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Pointy thing, Vrackie
ImageP1040418 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040419 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Well - are you?
ImageP1040420 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Vrackie
ImageP1040426 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Civilised lunch
ImageP1040428 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040430 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Loch a'Choire
ImageP1040432 by 23weasels, on Flickr

meall na h-Aodainn Moire
ImageP1040434 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040435 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040436 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Summit Vrackie
ImageP1040440 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View to Meall an Daimh
ImageP1040442 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Ben Vurich in the clouds
ImageP1040443 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Vrackie
ImageP1040445 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Loch a'Choire
ImageP1040449 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Vrackie
ImageP1040451 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Stats
ImageP1040454 by 23weasels, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Some Perthshire Corbetts

Postby PeteR » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:53 pm

All good Corbetts these :D

Although An Dun is one steep beggar :shock:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:55 pm

Some good pics there , looks an interesting area around Gaick :D

You re hacking away at those Corbetts and Grahams :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby robertphillips » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:42 am

well done guys, some good photos there.
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland