walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

200th expo

200th expo

Postby donnaryan69 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 02/11/2014

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1770m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Psyced for my 200th Munro expedition I left Aberdeen at 6.30pm on Saturday with an inclement forecast. I sought out three hills together that I haven't done. I hadn't been west for a while so I settled on the Kinlochleven hills, they were getting bagged come what may. I made sureI had a good torch! Held up slightly in the morning due to my caffeine addiction; I slept in my van but forgot the dam coffee! luckily the Co-op opened at 6.45am to let me in for some. I got away at 7.45am and bagged the first summit at 11.30. Considerable time was spent detouring up stream to cross. All the paths were watercourses. Never the less, I made the second summit by 1.40. It was bitterly cold with a wind-chill of -10 (forecast) maybe less, not pleasant with soggy gloves, glad I had spares. Windy too but not as bad as earlier in the week. On top of the third munro of the day by 3.30pm in snow showers and wishing I had brought the goggles that I ditched at the last minute! Binnein Mor is a super nice scramble which looks improbable when looking across from Binnein Beag. It would have been easy to go and bag Na Gruagaichean which I haven't done yet but I was already going to be descending the last quarter of the day in the dark, so I decided against this plan, beside which I had to be in Peterhead for a 9am meeting on Monday.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

donnaryan69
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   

Re: 200th expo

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:18 pm

Thanks for that report, was planning to head that way last weekend but the forecast scuppered that idea :( I had an inkling that it may be a bit damp underfoot :lol:
Looks like they may have to wait till next year now :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: 200th expo

Postby Hill-loving lady » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:04 am

I took a look at the craggy direct ascent from the wee lochan (infinity pool) and decided that was the way I was going....big mistake! Although June, it was still unconsolidated from the winter avalanches. Loose porridgy shale. Even Bob wasn't happy... But got up somehow. Great hills!
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland