walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cape Wrath trail 2014: video log, reflections and FAQ

Cape Wrath trail 2014: video log, reflections and FAQ

by petert847 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Route description: Cape Wrath Trail

Date walked: 21/05/2014

Time taken: 19 days

Distance: 392 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Cape Wrath trail 2014: video log, reflections and FAQ

Postby Portboy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi Peter, really enjoyed your walk report. Take my hat off to you guys who can put these reports and videos together. I can do the walking but I always have my head down, eyes couple of metres ahead avoiding "slips & trips".
I started it twice this year, 1st time getting as far as Barrisdale Glen where I had to get another walker taken out by helicopter (Cape Wrath Trail Forum - Looking for Walking Partner) but managed to complete it 2nd attempt on the 27th June.
Always interesting how we all tackle these long distance routes! I put food parcels in place at Shiel Bridge, Kinlochewe & Inchnadamph thus allowing me to carry only four days food at a time. The longest day I had was around 30 miles but I did have some short days also, walking from bothy to hostel to bothy as I'm reluctant to use a tent and maybe having to carry it wet all next day.
The route I used was:

Fort William - A'Chuil Bothy
A'Chuil Bothy - Barrisdale Bothy
Barrisdale Bothy - Shelter Hut NN 940 096 (hut can accommodate two people, comfortable night on the floor)
Shelter Hut - Morvich Campsite (had to pitch tent here as Kintail Lodge Bunkhouse was full)
Morvich Campsite - Camas Luinie Bothy Hostel (fantastic place, owner looks after you so well)
Camas Luinie - Achnashellach Hostel
Achnashellach Hostel - Kinlochewe Bunkhouse
Kinlochewe Bunkhouse - Shenavall Bothy
Shenavall Bothy - Knockdamph Bothy
Knockdamph Bothy - Inchnadamph (pitched tent as hostel was full)
Inchnadamph - Glendhu Bothy
Glendhu Bothy - Loch Stack Lodge (pitched tent nearby)
Loch Stack Lodge - Rhiconich (pitched tent below the public toilet)
Rhiconich - Sandwood Bay (pitched tent in the bay)
Sandwood Bay - Cape Wrath (stayed in Kervaig Bothy)

I was disappointed with the Rhiconich Hotel where I took an American walker for a meal. I didn't think they wanted our custom and I certainly won't use it next year.
I hope to walk from Cape Wrath lighthouse to Mull of Galloway lighthouse in 2015.
Portboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   

Postby ramblingpete » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:49 am

Enjoyed watching that and the comprehensive report. Don't know that I could manage that all in one go with my dodgy knees. Might do it in bits one of these years.

Thanks for the tips and hints - very useful
ramblingpete
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:173
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Dunni » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi Peter,

enjoyed your report and the helpful tips for the trip! I´m planning the CWT for next May and hope, I share your experience with weather and midges ... Although I don´t have that much time on my hands, I need to tackle the lot in not more than 18 days. Puh!
Thanks a lot for posting!
Dunni
Dunni
Scrambler

Munros:178   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:5

Postby StevenF » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:11 am

Great report! Liked the gear information and was surprised by the food information (1800 calories? wtf?).

Each year, blessed with an understanding wife, I go away for around 10 days walking by myself - to allow my antisocial essence recovery time from the enjoyable but full-on experience of having three children under 13.
This year I had gone both super-part time and freelance, so could create the space of the 22 days I thought I needed to travel up, and back and give my self a chance of doing the whole trail in one go.

Funny how I see many people in this situation (which is also my situation). Last year I received 5 days off, this year 6! Being 34 now it seems that when I'm 50 I'll be entitled to 22 days as well :clap:
StevenF
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:77   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:17 pm

Many many thanks for post I loved your video from start to finish
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby mountainstar » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:50 pm

As one who has done it "nearly twice" (Ullapool to CW next May to make it 2) I must say I really enjoyed the report and video.
You were so lucky with the weather as well.
I hope you've cleaned the lens of that dead fly in the spiders web by now! :wink:
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby petert847 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks mountainstar, annoying to get back and find the bug in the lens, can edit it off the photos but not the video sadly... - have a new phone now. I'm going to do the Skye trail next year inspired by your brilliant report - so no doubt I'll be punished for such good weather on cwt by foul weather in Skye.
petert847

Postby dessie » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:39 am

Peter,

Thanks for the brilliant trip video and your commentary, it was real and personal and gave a great insight into the trail. I live in Canada and am planning to spend mid-April till mid-June hiking in England and Scotland, Skye is one Trail and this is the other I am hoping to undertake. Your record is very very helpful and does not sugar coat the undertaking!!

Cheers

Des

ps I'm retired so the task will be quite a challenge.....
dessie
Munro compleatist

Postby petert847 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:58 am

Dessie,
Great plan - Im planning to do the skye trail in May some point between 6-18th so might see you there! You'll have a great time if you get a bit of luck with the weather...
Best
Peter
petert847

Postby llamb57 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:44 am

Really enjoyed your report.
Going to have another try in June 2016 with my son. Cant wait.
llamb57
Mountaineer

31 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes