walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easing up the Easains

Easing up the Easains

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:08 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 12/10/2014

Time taken: 7.75 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1233m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We've been pondering these 2 for a while, wondering about doing them in a backpacking trip from Rannoch to Tulloch stations via the 3 munros on Rannoch Moor plus the Easains – but In the event the weather swung it in favour of a single sortie just for the 2 hills. Two days earlier the forecast was unappealing for most areas except the Central Highlands – and these two were the closest munros we thought we could do in the shortening daylight. (In the event the day was better than the forecast in most places – but we'd made a decision so we stuck with it).

On the drive south the clouds started to play fast and loose with us. The beautiful autumn morning spawned banks of mist – some pretty thick ones, but as we neared Spean Bridge the cloud vanished and we had a beautiful view of the Annochs.

Despite the good intentions of an early start, it was getting on for 10 am when we finally started walking. The plan was park at Fersit, take the path by Loch Treig then turn right and head up the hill to meet with the WH route near the hydro survey pillars. This way if we were late coming off the hill then we'd have reccied the route on the way up and would have a good path to walk out on in the dark (never underestimate my capacity for slowness :roll: :roll: ).

Start of the walk looking at Stob Coire Sgriodain

The plan worked fine, the biggest surprise being how little water there was at the northern end of Loch Treig.

One of the hydro survey pillars from the lochside, with a late setting moon

I might have thought the path up from the Loch was a burn if Roger hadn't been more observant.

The path passes a sheep fold, from here take the route straight up the hillside (not shown in the photo) ...

… to come out near the survey pillar.

The previous few day had been wet – as in very wet and it felt as if we were walking on a saturated sponge – everything squelched with each step – couldn't understand why the water was still on the hill and not in the loch :shock: .

For this part of the walk we were accompanied by the music of roaring stags – we never saw any all day – but they sounded very close (but then they could have been across Loch Treig and we were just being tricked by mountain acoustics).

The dogs were very happy to be out, but they couldn't find the stags either. Not to worry, they were making up for a four week lay off while their humans had been swanning about in foreign climes and they had been spoilt rotten by their holiday humans 8) .

The cloud came and went while we walked, but always above us, in this case hiding the route up Meall Cian Dearg.

The path was good, on the scrambly section up Meall Cian Dearg it was relatively easy to follow, just very muddy, so needed some concentration. I wasn't looking forward to the return trip … or slide :( .

A celebratory drink when we got to a level bit!

And beautiful views to the Gray Corries and Stob Ban

The route became gradually drier as we gained height, and it was proving an excellent wander for an autumn Sunday. The light was changing constantly with the changing cloud patterns, and the clouds themselves kept off our hills – although they clung to the Ben and some of the higher hills.

Roger zoomed off ahead

and I finally caught up with him at the summit of Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

paused just long enough to take a photo - looking south to the Loch Eiles

then off to the second hill of the day.

Regulation summit pose …

… then some more photos

the Gray Corries

Loch Treig

Blackwater reservoir

Looking north west

before settling down to lunch …

What – you're eating that whole sandwich … all by yourself??? :shock: :shock:

At the top a group of five guys caught up with us – turned out they'd got the night sleeper from London on Friday for a weekend in the hills, before heading back to the city on the Sunday night sleeper. The lengths people will go to for their hill-fix. :clap: :clap:

The route back down to reclimb Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin in theory seems a bit daft – two Munros for the price of three – but in reality it was fine – and probably much faster than working our way down a bog-infested glen. At one point it looked as though we were going to be caught in a downpour,

… but the rain didn't come our way. We did get a small rainbow though …

The route down Meall Cian Dearg wasn't as bad as expected either – it just needed concentration. We were soon back at the survey pillar and then down to the Loch – it was this lower part of the walk that was really boggy – but even that couldn't dispel the joy of being back out on the hills on good day.

Final look at Loch Treig …

… before heading home.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Easing up the Easains

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:31 pm

What a lovely day you got and great photos - love the ones of the Grey Corries and the Blackwater reservoir especially. Too funny - the dogs watching Roger eating his sandwich. You caught the moment. As for being slow, I'm sure I could beat you in that competition :lol: :lol:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:11 pm

Great photos as always.

The shot of the climb to the 2nd Munro looks really appealing (added to the 2015 list) not to mention the concentration on the dog's faces when a human eats a sandwich in front of them.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby litljortindan » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Excellent pictures. I know the feeling of being stared out at tea time. Tried to turn the tables but the dog was not intimidated in the slightest.

Looks like a walk I can do when I recover my fitness again.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:31 am

Lovely photos, love these two hills they make a great day :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:12 am

Looking forward to these two, a backpacking trip between the two stations is a good idea, may steal that one from you :lol:
Haha, love the pic of dogs too, they firmly believe the will power of staring will make a section of Rogers piece land on the floor for them to gobble :lol:
Lovely pics as per norm. :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:12 pm

Cracking set of photos wonderfully clear. Looks a beautiful walk and I love the shot with the moon.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:23 pm

Particularly like the photos of you each on a summit and the two view shots in between. B & B looking their usual handsome selves! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Yeah super photos and it's always good to see rain in the distance when out walking, just confirms you made the right choice for the day :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:38 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:What a lovely day you got and great photos - love the ones of the Grey Corries and the Blackwater reservoir especially. Too funny - the dogs watching Roger eating his sandwich. You caught the moment. As for being slow, I'm sure I could beat you in that competition :lol: :lol:

Thanks Annie - I think the photo of Roger and the dogs is Roger's great photographic moment :lol: :lol:

Gordie12 wrote:The shot of the climb to the 2nd Munro looks really appealing (added to the 2015 list)

Enjoy it - they are a bonny pair of mountains :D

litljortindan wrote:Excellent pictures. I know the feeling of being stared out at tea time. Tried to turn the tables but the dog was not intimidated in the slightest.

Looks like a walk I can do when I recover my fitness again.

Naw our two can't be intimidated that way either :lol: Good luck getting your fitness back - these are two great hills, the scrambly bit is fine and gives a sense of achievement (well it did to me, I achieved not slipping off the hillside :lol: )

spiderwebb wrote:Lovely photos, love these two hills they make a great day :D

Couldn't agree more :D

Beaner001 wrote:Looking forward to these two, a backpacking trip between the two stations is a good idea, may steal that one from you :lol:

Will look forward to reading about that trip - dogs should love it :lol:

Sarah86 wrote:Cracking set of photos wonderfully clear. Looks a beautiful walk and I love the shot with the moon.

Thank you :D It's a great walk.

dogplodder wrote:Particularly like the photos of you each on a summit and the two view shots in between. B & B looking their usual handsome selves! :D

Thanks Kathleen, but having seen what a bad hair day I was having I've had a haircut :lol:

Johnny Corbett wrote:Yeah super photos and it's always good to see rain in the distance when out walking, just confirms you made the right choice for the day :wink:

Yeah - and makes up for the days when I picked the wrong mountain :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby Silverhill » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:23 pm

What a great trip! 8) I did this on a very claggy day and didn’t see a thing. I love the picture of Stob Coire Easain from Stob a’Coire Mheadhoin. Never appreciated how impressive that corrie was. 1-0 for the fair weather walkers again! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:33 pm

My personal memories of the Easains are rather... wet. We did them around the same time of the year in 2012. The route up was squelchy to say the least, and silly me sat down to rest on a rock, only to discover that the rock was wet, too! :lol: I ended up with soaked bum :roll: But the views are superb and I love mountains in the late autumn colours!

I spent a while studying the pictures of the Innses, we actually climbed them 3 weeks ago, but because we then went on holidays, I hadn't posted my TR yet. Getting ill just after returning didn't help, either. The two Corbetts look as steep and craggy as they are, but they are also good fun for a cat :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:17 pm

Silverhill wrote:What a great trip! 8) I did this on a very claggy day and didn’t see a thing. I love the picture of Stob Coire Easain from Stob a’Coire Mheadhoin. Never appreciated how impressive that corrie was. 1-0 for the fair weather walkers again! :D

Yeah, I really enjoyed these two - and the walk between the peaks was great.

BlackPanther wrote:But the views are superb and I love mountains in the late autumn colours!

Me too - I've been enjoying all the autumn photos that are appearing here at the moment.
BlackPanther wrote:I spent a while studying the pictures of the Innses, we actually climbed them 3 weeks ago, but because we then went on holidays, I hadn't posted my TR yet. Getting ill just after returning didn't help, either. The two Corbetts look as steep and craggy as they are, but they are also good fun for a cat :lol: :lol:

I'll look forward to reading your report and seeing the photos - they're a bonny pair of corbets, could be quite tempted myself ... :shock: Hope you're better soon.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland