walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Solo tents - TN Laser Comp,Telemark Nordisk or Akto

Solo tents - TN Laser Comp,Telemark Nordisk or Akto

Postby AJTG » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi guys

I'm trying to to choose a 1-man lightweight tent for multi-day backpacking trips and have narrowed it down to the Laser Competition 1 or Telemark Nordisk 1. I'd like it to last for a fair few years, stand up well to strong winds and heavy rain and not be too bad for condensation. Ideally I'm looking for something under or around the 1kg mark (hence the 2 tents I've named) but I might be willing to take the extra weight if it can be justified (the main issue for me is packsize). For example, I've heard a lot about the Hilleberg Akto and am attracted to its reliability and robustness but also put off by the large packsize - it seems to pack down into a bag quite a bit larger than the Laser Comp or Telemark.

Any thoughts or experiences would be hugely appreciated. Thanks very much
AJTG
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: Solo tents - TN Laser Comp,Telemark Nordisk or Akto

Postby ptc* » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:19 pm

I've used Nordisk tents but not that one, the build quality is superb. I've had every variation of a Laser pitched in every weather you can get here and they've survived, not undamaged, but still performing well enough for me to pick it over better specced tents.

Internal space, porch size and pack size are the things that I look closest at and the Laser usually edges other tents out, but that's a personal thing rather than anything scientific.
One thing about the Nordisk is the asymmetrical inner, reminds me a bit of the first generation F10 Heliums where one end was very low inside.

I'd make a shop pitch them both so you can get inside and try them out. Remember to take an inflated sleepmat in with you, tents are always a few inches shorter inside when you get all your kit in there.
ptc*

Postby murwilson » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Scarp 1 http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

Quite probably the only tent for single person use you will ever need.

But it does have a long and thin pack size due to the carbon fibre poles at the corners. They can be removed but it's a bit of a faff.

Mur
murwilson

Postby CharlesT » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:21 am

From recent personal experience I'd advise against the Terra Nova Laser Comp 1. First time I've used mine high on the hil last week in typical Scottish wind and rain conditions. Just not robust enough, the single support pole flexed far too much pushing the flysheet onto the inner tent and it on to me in my bag. Result, much wetness from condensation. One section of this pole has now assumed a significant arc shape and refuses all attempts at straightening it. The small poles which prop up the ends are a pain to get right and it's also a sod to put up in the wind however you go about it. After three nights of use I'm considering binning it or treating it just as a fine weather tent. A little point, the mini tent pegs supplied are a joke surely? Replaced these with alu pegs which you at least have a chance of finding if you drop them in the dark. Bought it for the weight and generally ok reviews. Now looking for something that is light and really up to the job.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby basscadet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:57 am

Oh Charles, sounds like you had quite a night :lol: I wonder if you had the pole cover sorted out properly? The first time I had my laser comp up in a bit of bad weather, I couldn't figure out how the pole cover worked and ended up having a similar night.. :crazy: Since then I have used the tent an awful lot over the past 4 years, and have to say I love it :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby CharlesT » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:17 am

basscadet wrote:Oh Charles, sounds like you had quite a night :lol: I wonder if you had the pole cover sorted out properly? The first time I had my laser comp up in a bit of bad weather, I couldn't figure out how the pole cover worked and ended up having a similar night.. :crazy: Since then I have used the tent an awful lot over the past 4 years, and have to say I love it :D

Night one was fine, but that was windfree more or less at lochside (Mullardoch). Next two were on the high ridges - wet and windy. Didn't use pole cover but don't see how that would make much difference to the flexing of the pole. Kept the rain out fine, problem is it didn't keep its shape. Think the inner tent is a bit too floppy anyway. Have to say I'm used to high mountain tents which usually have at least two poles to counteract each other for rigidity, but they are relatively heavy. Wont bin it yet, but? :(
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby basscadet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:29 am

Thats what the pole cover is for.. stopping the pole flexing.. :lol:
The pole cover is attached to several key points along the pole, and the guys pull the pole a certain way which means it cannot flex more than an inch or two.. makes those tent in the face moments a thing of the past :clap:
Works really quite well.. I have had it up in some right bad storms and been cosy and happy as larry :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:48 am

I use a Hilleberg Akto and love it,the pack size has never troubled me over multiday hikes.
6 days the original Skye trail.
5 days Attadale to Struy over the hills.
5 days Glen Affric/Strathfarrar hills.

Quick to pitch and take down.
if your over 5'10" headroom is not the best when sitting up.
Porch is just right for keeping your gear dry and for cooking in for me anyway.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby basscadet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:53 am

I've used teh Akto a few times, but I don't think the price tag is justified for what you get compared to the laser :roll:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby bydand_loon » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:34 pm

murwilson wrote:Scarp 1 http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

Quite probably the only tent for single person use you will ever need.

But it does have a long and thin pack size due to the carbon fibre poles at the corners. They can be removed but it's a bit of a faff.

Mur

I concur

The packing into a bergan (a 55ltr montane job) has never caused me any problems, infact it fits just dandy now that I have a system :D
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby CharlesT » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:37 pm

basscadet wrote:Thats what the pole cover is for.. stopping the pole flexing.. :lol:
The pole cover is attached to several key points along the pole, and the guys pull the pole a certain way which means it cannot flex more than an inch or two.. makes those tent in the face moments a thing of the past :clap:
Works really quite well.. I have had it up in some right bad storms and been cosy and happy as larry :D

Well as you know, if all else fails then read the instructions. :roll: and I will give your solution a try. However, I can't find any instructions to that effect in the bumf supplied with said tent. I suppose, intuitively, attaching guys to the pole via the cover will brace it, but Intuition was never my strong point. :( Thanks for the advice.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby basscadet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:39 pm

Its a fiddly job! I'll try and explain :?
On the underside of the pole cover, there are 3 pairs of ties, which correspond with tabs on the fly sheet, either side of the pole.. Once you have pitched the tent, thread each tie through a tab, and tie each pair, tightly in a bow.
Now the pole cover is attached, thread the 'laces' at each end of the pole cover, through the tab next to the door, pull it through and peg this down. Do the same for the 'laces' at the other end of the pole at the back of the tent, pulling it tight..
Then peg out the guys on the pole cover..
You will now be set to brave 50MPH winds 8)
Better to pitch the back of the tent to the wind, so the pole is in line with the wind direction - counterintuitive, as it means the largest area of tent is facing the wind, but it really is more stable like that.. :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:20 pm

basscadet wrote:Its a fiddly job! I'll try and explain :?
On the underside of the pole cover, there are 3 pairs of ties, which correspond with tabs on the fly sheet, either side of the pole.. Once you have pitched the tent, thread each tie through a tab, and tie each pair, tightly in a bow.
Now the pole cover is attached, thread the 'laces' at each end of the pole cover, through the tab next to the door, pull it through and peg this down. Do the same for the 'laces' at the other end of the pole at the back of the tent, pulling it tight..
Better to pitch the back of the tent to the wind, so the pole is in line with the wind direction - counterintuitive, as it means the largest area of tent is facing the wind, but it really is more stable like that.. :D

One of the reasons why I chose a Akto,dont like fiddly bits.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby CharlesT » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:48 pm

basscadet wrote:Its a fiddly job! I'll try and explain :?

I've now taken the pole cover out of the bag it's spent all its life in so far and can see how to fix it as you say. I did pitch the tent as you suggest, back to wind as I reckoned the ends could be easily blown in. The main pole was just not man enough for the wind without the guys being set. It was a real gusting hoolie with accompanying sleet. I really will have to take it out again soon and give it another go. Thanks.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby Michael Thomson » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:48 pm

I've used a Laser Photon and a Laser Comp in some wild winter conditions and they've held up ok. BassCadet is bang on, getting the pole stabilised is key. The cover's not just to keep the rain off the pole, it's critical for guying.
In fact, most of the solo tents I have a single pole arrangements and they all use the same methodology.

You're right about the supplied pegs, they're cack. Don't bother with them. I use a mix of clamcleat Y pegs, MSR groundhogs and Vargo Ti Nails. I also double up the end pole guys, and replace the standard issue guylines with dyneema and lineloks. That way I can tension in two directions, which helps with stability and can adjust easily to suit the terrain and conditions. I've tested that arrangement in all sorts of weather and it's worked a treat.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk