walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nevis Via The CMD (King Of Diamonds)

Nevis Via The CMD (King Of Diamonds)

Postby MunroMadMen » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:19 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 09/11/2014

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had been planning this one for a while, as you do. Dawn was scheduled for 07:40 with sunset coming in around 16:20 so we knew we had a window to work to, we met in Callander @ 04:00 and made the journey down arriving way earlier than we expected. Do we set of in the dark with head torches or do we sit tight and wait for the first break of light, we hung around until 07:15 and as we saw light starting to come through we set off, boot's on the ground by 07:30. the initial climb was as we expected, quiet and calm with virtually nothing or nobody to be seen, some cars had arrived in the car park just as we were setting off however nobody seemed in a rush to get going..... we climbed the normal route at a pretty good pace until we reached the half way Lochan, much quicker than we expected to so the pace was good.
007 (640x480).jpg

004 (640x480).jpg

The sky was looking dull however it was still early, it was dry and for that there was no reason to complain, so far so good, we continued along the path which got more difficult as we reached the boggy area, at this point we could see that the river below us coming down the valley was no longer a river but more white water rafting material, at that point the weather turned, in a split second the rain lashed down and the temp dropped to the extent our fingers were freezing, we could see on higher ground the snow had began to lie and on the top of Nevis we could see the snow swirling beneath the cloud, would this be the day we were driven back, onwards and upwards we went
A5 (640x480).jpg

030 (640x480).jpg

Before we knew it the weather quickly changed again, the rain stopped and the wind died away leaving some quite clear views to the top of the CMD which was now covered in snow, we continued working our way down knowing it was going to be difficult to find a way across the now swollen torrential river. By the time we found a safe place to cross, well semi safe place we were not far from the bothy which meant we had a real steep climb to the summit, tough on the legs but no other way, had to be done.
033 (640x480).jpg

034 (640x480).jpg

The views acxross to Nevis at this point were outstanding, the grey/black wall of rock surrounded in swirling snow and cloud looked like something from a hammer horror movie, like it was daring us to continue.
A4 (640x480).jpg

In what seemed like an age we hit the summit of the CMD, the legs had taken a pounding due to how steep the climb was but the latter part did not help trying to get through the snow, one down one to go
037 (640x480).jpg

038 (640x480).jpg

Time for the ridge, quick check on equipment then it was time to move, temp was ok but that would quickly change if we remained static for to long, quick bite (Protein) and we set off again for the ridge.
042 (640x480).jpg

045 (640x480).jpg

044 (640x480).jpg

This is where the real fun began, this is why we love this stuff, the reason people don't get us..... look at the views around us, can you believe some people go to there graves and never witness this.... we're not mad just different lol
scrambling in the snow, hands on rock can you beat it?? the views over to our final destination were outstanding, something hard to explain and something no picture can capture, then right before our eye's the cloud began to lift from the summit, would this be our day??
047 (640x480).jpg

052 (640x480).jpg

048 (640x480).jpg

We cleared the ridge in good time, thought we were doing real well until we reached the rock garden..... thinking the legs had taken a pounding earlier was an understatement, this seemed endless and the chat fell away as we conserved our energy, the going was tough mad even more so by not being able to see the gaps in the rocks from the covering of snow, trust me there were a few swear words thrown out as we tackled to final climb to the summit, the summit of the highest peak in Great Britian, after what seemed like an age Andy shouted "That's Us" and as I lifted my head I could see the Trig Point & The Shelter, all I may add blanketed in at least 5 inches of snow, with virtually no cloud around us it was like standing on another planet, no feeling like it, a strange sensation like you were somewhere nobody else had ever been, took a while for it to sink in but just for that split moment in time we were the highest free standing people in the whole of the U.K
054 (640x480).jpg

059 (640x480).jpg

056 (640x480).jpg

057 (640x480).jpg

A2 (640x480).jpg

We hung around on the top for a while, how could you not...... it was stunning, with one eye on the clock we decided it was time to make our way down. exhausted was not the word but the legs seemed light now, the rucksacks felt light to. We continued the route down as the sun shone down, the clouds were scarce and before we knew it we were leving the blanket of snow and our boots were now on solid rock/scree again. I would be lieing if I said the route down did not take it out the knees again, by the time we had reached the car park the leg's were screaming for a break and we were done in, done in with a smile though, we had more or less encountered all four seasons, at points looked like we would be driven back, stood on the CMD and had been dared by Nevis to continue, we took on the challenge and were rewarded with some of the most spectacular views ever, I just hope the pictures can do it some kind of justice, for some reason I don't think my words have, you would need to be a poet or an accomplished writer to capture in word's what we experienced that day.......... not one that will ever be forgotten, take a bow......
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Nevis Via The CMD (King Of Diamonds)

Postby chickadee » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:42 pm

What a great route, really want to do that some day. Maybe next year! Amazing to see snow already, I always forget just how incredibly high Ben Nevis is.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:10 pm

Brilliant stuff Geo :clap: :clap:

Looks like you guys had the place to yourselves!!! How did you manage that???

Well done :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Well done Geo, looks like you timed the weather for the Ben perfectly :clap: :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby MunroMadMen » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:55 am

chickadee wrote:What a great route, really want to do that some day. Maybe next year! Amazing to see snow already, I always forget just how incredibly high Ben Nevis is.

Was a fantastic route although by the end we were done in lol, well worth doing though just conserve some energy for the boulder field on your way up the back of Nevis from the ridge....... Pain lol

Geo ;)
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby MunroMadMen » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:57 am

pollyh33 wrote:Brilliant stuff Geo :clap: :clap:

Looks like you guys had the place to yourselves!!! How did you manage that???

Well done :thumbup:

Cheers P ;)

Believe it or not by the time we left there must have been around 20 at the top, was looking for you ;)

;) Geo
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby MunroMadMen » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:58 am

Beaner001 wrote:Well done Geo, looks like you timed the weather for the Ben perfectly :clap: :D

Thanks ;)

we had all four seasons and a clear finish could not have asked for better, what a day
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby mgmt! » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:50 pm

nice report and pictures there, i think your words sum this walk up perfectly, the north face of the ben is a truly magical place, but do your self a favour and go back when it has its full winter coat on, i promise you you wont be disappointed as it looks even better.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby MunroMadMen » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:23 pm

mgmt! wrote:nice report and pictures there, i think your words sum this walk up perfectly, the north face of the ben is a truly magical place, but do your self a favour and go back when it has its full winter coat on, i promise you you wont be disappointed as it looks even better.

Thanks MgMt,

I will do just that, I left there that day knowing it would be one I would return to many times...... ice axe & crampons nxt time :)
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland