walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Coire Easain & Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Stob Coire Easain & Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Postby bio-man » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:18 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 24/02/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I completed these two Munros with a slight adjustment to the walk-in and carried on south to Corrour. I caught the Fort William sleeper from Helensburgh Upper and once at Tulloch, I headed through the forest and negotiated the River Spean. There is a track that runs next to the railway line that brings you out at Fersit. It can be overgrown a bit, but worth it to reduce the approach time. Once at the red phone box, I turned left and headed towards the dam at the head of Loch Treig. If you turn right, it brings out at An Dubh Lochan, the website's start point. The railway line is now on your left and if anyone uses the line, you get a great view of the Easains and the the walk that awaits. My route took me along the west side of the loch until a right turn appeared. I took it upwards and after skirting some crags, joined the website route. Meall Cian Dearg looks very daunting, but in fact, there is a path which involves a small amount of hands-on. I use MWIS and they have never got the weather wrong once. Today, the forecast was, windy and showers in the morning, cloudbase at 2,000 feet. The sun was supposed to make an appearance in the early PM but when the showers closed in, that seemed unlikely. The route to the summit of Mheadhoin is steady and rocky. Nothing too tricky. I take a lot of photos when I'm out and always have to add some time to the journey. I managed to take a cracker of the Grey Corries to the west. I didn't hang about at the summit, enough to take some snaps. Stob Coire Easain looks steep from here and impressive in the snow. The descent to the bealach is very rocky and tricky in the wet. I met a couple here going in the opposite direction. I managed to get a grudging "hello" out of them!! Funny that!! Right on queue though, the sun came out and the views opened up. That certainly got my speed up to the top. An excellent panoramic view from the summit. Had my lunch. It's amazing how food tastes so much better on top of a mountain!! My descent was straight south, over Easain's Top to the Alta na Lairige. Before leaving the top, I managed to get some more snaps. The best one reached over Blackwater to the Black Mount Hills and the Buachaille to the right.
I'd used the track to Corrour before, once when we camped at the bothy under the Grey Corries, before summiting them before sunrise. Even as I set out towards the station, I knew that I was running out of time. If I didn't make it, I would have 4 hours till the next train. I use the West Highland Line frequently and you have to be spot-on with your time planning. I'd once missed the train at Bridge of Orchy and fell in with a great crowd in the hotel, I had to stay overnight!! Anyway to the job in hand. I took the walking poles out and quick-timed it to the station, passing a very bemused walker on the way. I made the train with 11 minutes to spare. Happy and shattered, I fell asleep looking at my photos!!
A great day out, long but satisfying. Just watch your time!!
Attachments
Blackwater and the Black Mount hills with the Buachaille on the right2.jpg
The Grey Corries from Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin2.jpg
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: Stob Coire Easain & Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Postby canisp » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:34 am

I like the Grey corries photo, very atmospheric. Food does taste better sat on a mountain top, with a view. lunchbox might disagree, see his article on bad hill days.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby steverabone » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:30 pm

I had to turn back a few years ago on this walk as I wasn't feeling to well. I'm hoping to try again in June. The author of the report says he crossed the River Spean near Tulloch station and then followed the path through the woods to Fersit. Does the path start at Tulloch station and is there a footbridge over the river? I can only see the railway bridge on the oS map.
steverabone

Munros:190   Corbetts:41
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:38

Postby bigbertie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:43 pm

I think people use the railway bridge (but haven't done it myself, and I am not recommending it of course).
bigbertie

Postby bio-man » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:34 pm

Sorry Streverabone for lateness of reply. I found a spot upriver from the bridge to cross. It was fairly shallow and I always carry a small towel for such times as I need to take boots off and cross. It wasn't deep and was straightforward. I've crossed many a remote railway line, but wouldn't advocate the bridge as there's nowhere to go. An ideal route to bike from Tulloch to the dam on Loch Treig
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland