walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

grahams and sub 2 k,s north west

grahams and sub 2 k,s north west

Postby robertphillips » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn a' Chearcaill, Beinn a' Chlachain, Sgùrr a'Gharaidh

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: An Sgùrr (Kishorn), An Staonach, Bad a'Chreamha, Ben Shieldaig, Bidein Clann Raonaild, Seana Mheallan

Date walked: 13/11/2014

Time taken: 21 hours

Distance: 57 km

Ascent: 43342m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thursday afternoon bidein clann raonaild drove up on thursday afternoon after half day at work arrived at parking spot on tracks to masts at 4pm just enough time for a quick up and down which has tracks all the way to the summit just 1 deer fence/gate to cross returned just as getting dark, 1 hour 20 minutes.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bidein clann raonaild 013.jpg
bidein clann raonaild 016.jpg

Friday morning beinn chearcaill Stayed in the kinlochewe bunkhouse last night, woke in the morning to rain and high winds, headed towards gairloch on the A 832 parked 200m west of cottage past the river grundie, returned along the road took the good stalkers path for 2 km then turned uphill at a cairn into coire briste to another cairn then acrross pathless terrain to the summit area, by now the rain and wind were gale force could barely stand up, quick couple of photos then retutned same route of ascent, 3.5 hours.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

beinn a chearcaill 013.jpg
squrr a gharaidh 032.jpg

Friday afternoon seana mhellan drove round to torridon parked just before bridge where river torridon runs into the sea took good track south side of the abhainn thrail this turns in to boggy path after 1.5km where 1 crossed the river which was fairly low despite the rain earlier today,there is a bridge 0.5 km further up if river levels are high,then up through boggy ground to scramble up through the crags to the summit returned same route, 1 hour 45 minutes.

seana mheallan 006.jpg
seana mheallan 016.jpg
seana mheallan 017.jpg

Saturday morning ben shieldaig parked at eastern end of loch dughaill stright up steep boggy slopes just to the right of the tree line to the col then up to the summit, retuned same route 2 hours.

ben shieldaig, an staonach 011.jpg
ben shieldaig, an staonach 018.jpg

Saturday lunchtime an staonach parked on high point on road from shieldaig to lochcarron over wet ground up to sanstone slabs scramble through up to the summit, returned same route,2 hours.

ben shieldaig, an staonach 017.jpg
ben shieldaig, an staonach 022.jpg

Saturday afternoon squrr a gharaidh parked at entrance of track to glasnock 1 other car there ,followed track to first house then through gate into field and up into heathery ground up to the ridge line,met other walker jim from dingwall on his way down,from there easy walk up to the summit returned to car just as getting dark, 3 hours 45 minutes.

squrr a gharaidh 024.jpg
squrr a gharaidh 028.jpg
squrr a gharaidh 032.jpg

Sunday morning penultimate graham beinn a chlachain stayed at hatfield hostel last night, and left from there in the morning, took the steep slope up the side of a sitka wood through crags to the ridge then easy walk over to the summit came back same way 3 hours.

beinn a chlachain 007.jpg
beinn a chlachain 011.jpg
beinn a chlachain 026.jpg
beinn a chlachain 028.jpg

Sunday afternoon an squrr and bad a chreamha started from fc tracks in strome carronach up good tracks to end of the trees then over deep heathery ground to the summit of an squrr then contour round point 246 up steep slopes to bac summit returned down ridge to flat boggy area to rejoin track back to the car, 3 hours,happy days. :D 8)

robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Re: grahams and sub 2 k,s north west

Postby malky_c » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:44 pm

These reports are exhausting :lol: . Great sunset from Sgurr a' Gharaidh, and nice early light over Skye from Beinn a' Chalachain :D .

Lots of good smaller hills in there - hoping to do a couple more of them (perhaps the two nearest Lochcarron) before Christmas.

Good luck for the last Graham. I'd be interested to see some numbers - that must have been one of the fastest Munro/Corbett/Graham rounds ever.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:05 pm

Some impressive views in there and a busy few days
I'm hoping you've mistyped the ascent total otherwise there are some seriously high grahams and subs that I'd best be prepared for. :D
Best wishes too for the last Graham
Al
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby robertphillips » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 pm

malky_c wrote:These reports are exhausting :lol: . Great sunset from Sgurr a' Gharaidh, and nice early light over Skye from Beinn a' Chalachain :D .

Lots of good smaller hills in there - hoping to do a couple more of them (perhaps the two nearest Lochcarron) before Christmas.

Good luck for the last Graham. I'd be interested to see some numbers - that must have been one of the fastest Munro/Corbett/Graham rounds ever.

Cheers malky views were great on saturday evening coming off sag

3 years 11 months is the magic number :D
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Postby robertphillips » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:32 pm

weaselmaster wrote:Some impressive views in there and a busy few days
I'm hoping you've mistyped the ascent total otherwise there are some seriously high grahams and subs that I'd best be prepared for. :D
Best wishes too for the last Graham
Al

Cheers al yes just a wee typo should read 4342 m :wink:
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:52 am

robertphillips wrote:
malky_c wrote:These reports are exhausting :lol: . Great sunset from Sgurr a' Gharaidh, and nice early light over Skye from Beinn a' Chalachain :D .

Cheers malky views were great on saturday evening coming off sag

3 years 11 months is the magic number :D
Well done that's some achievement, especially the Grahams. I see them as more of an achievement than the Munros and Corbetts. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Sgurr » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:55 pm

Shame you had such poor weather for Beinn Cearcaill, since the summit views of the Torridon hills all round are spectacular, but a Munro, Corbett, Graham round in that time leaves no time for waiting for good days. Compare husband's round starting in 1966 and finishing in 2013 = 47 years.

I wonder if anyone has beaten your times for those rounds...it amounts to a hill every other day, without including any demoted hills or Marilyns you may happen to have walked.?

Maybe Dave Hewitt will have an idea
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:43 pm

Aye that is some time .... you should call yourself the greyhound :D

A hill every other day is quite a thought as well but I tell you .......

you ll run oot of hills a bhalaich :D

S math a rinn thuu

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby scottishkennyg » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Nice to see from the images that the weather progressed as the walks went down. Really liked the sunset image..A1
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Dave Hewitt » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:31 pm

Sgurr wrote:I wonder if anyone has beaten your times for those rounds...it amounts to a hill every other day, without including any demoted hills or Marilyns you may happen to have walked.?

Maybe Dave Hewitt will have an idea

Sounds like Robert's been cracking on - congrats on the Munro and Corbett rounds and hope this weekend's going well for the Grahams.

In terms of fast rounds of the three categories combined, these kind of stats are never definitive because people quite often do notable and interesting things without saying much about it. However, there are a couple of known benchmarks - although I'm unclear whether the 3 years 11 months quoted is the time taken for the rounds themselves, or from when Robert climbed his first hill in any of the categories - is it a start-afresh job or a start-from-scratch one?

At least two people have done continuous or near-continuous rounds of the Munro/Corbett/Graham categories: Peter Lincoln who finished on Morrone in July 1998 (I was there, lovely day), and Andrew Allum who finished somewhere up north (not sure where offhand) the previous summer. His was a somewhat mysterious but mightily impressive outing which also took in Donalds and E+W 2000ers. Both these rounds were faster than the Robert's timespan: Peter took 359 days and I've a feeling Andrew might have been slightly faster for the Scottish section of his walk (although I'm not sure I have stats that break it down in that way - I'll have a rummage when I get chance). Both of them however took considerably longer overall in terms of from their first ever hill - Peter's first Corbett, for example, was in 1979 and Andrew's was in 1987.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland